Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 am

cliffs:

supposed to leave Tuesday morning for Estes/RMNP

only possible access right now is over TRR from grand lake... which would be OK as long as the park is "mostly" accessible (i.e. Bear Lake Trailhead & Glacier Gorge TH) and Safeway was getting restocked... but I think there is about a 10% chance of that actually happening.

so....

~650miles from Lincoln, NE (10hrs) mountains, hiking, "rustic" accomodations a plus...

ideas?

Re: Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Postby madbuck » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

If you don't have to stay in Estes, and were thinking of driving around from the West side, than it would be preferable to stay and hike on the Grand Lake/Granby side anyway.
Other alternatives: Medicine Bow range in WY, or drop down in/near Steamboat Springs.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:29 am

There's more rain in the forecast through Sunday, so who knows what else will be washed out by then.

No problems with I-70 west of Denver yet, however. Lincoln to Dillon is 8 hours (550 miles) via 76 and 70.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby MonGoose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 am

Dark Helmet wrote:cliffs: supposed to leave Tuesday morning for Estes/RMNP

only possible access right now is over TRR from grand lake... which would be OK as long as the park is "mostly" accessible (i.e. Bear Lake Trailhead & Glacier Gorge TH) and Safeway was getting restocked... but I think there is about a 10% chance of that actually happening.
so....
~650miles from Lincoln, NE (10hrs) mountains, hiking, "rustic" accomodations a plus...
ideas?

-Three people have died this week and a dozen are missing.
-President Obama has approved federal aid for the city of Boulder.
-The town of Estes Park is under water and major highways in the region have been knocked out.
-Two hikers are stranded on Longs Peak.
The front range is a disaster.

And you want to talk about your vacation.

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am

come to crested butte, all is well here and the trees are just starting to change :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby madbuck » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:47 am

MonGoose wrote:The front range is a disaster.

People here are still naturally trying to figure out how to cope with the floods and how plans are affected, even mundane things like school and work closures or favourite trails. Small and intimate details as well as the big picture. This guy was looking forward to a Colorado vacation and still wants to visit...and moved his question to a separate thread. I think it's reasonable, he's not complaining about wanting CDOT to fix the roads quickly or necessarily insisting on getting into heavily-damaged areas, but still wants to visit our beautiful state. I hate to drive things with $ and it wouldn't be the only factor, but I heard advertisements on the radio for Manitou Springs now that it's all cleaned up, and it reminds me that the state could still benefit from appropriately non-intrusive tourism.

And I'm in a bad mood too with all the rain and damage and loss of life this week. And all this sucks.

Postby sunny1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:13 am

TravelingMatt wrote:There's more rain in the forecast through Sunday, so who knows what else will be washed out by then.

No problems with I-70 west of Denver yet, however. Lincoln to Dillon is 8 hours (550 miles) via 76 and 70.

This a.m., I-70 westbound is closed due to a rockslide near Floyd Hill. We are experiencing a disaster all along the Front Range.
It's anticipated I 70 westbound will be open later this afternoon.

I think the OP should look away from Estes Park as a destination next week.
Staying on the west side of RMNP- as someone suggested, might be a good option.
Consider the Sangres, the San Juans - maybe Lake City would be a good destination? Or maybe even the Elks.
Or the Sawatch - the area around Twin Lakes is nice.
A bonus: you'd be near Hwy 82, which has access to Independence Pass and some hiking there and on to Aspen, if you and your family would want to
explore the area around the Maroon Bells.
Cottonwood Pass is nearby with more hiking options and is strikingly beautiful.
Geez, I'm getting excited just thinking about that option!
I've heard the Mt Elbert Lodge and Cabins are a good place to stay, haven't checked it out myself yet.
You could get the chance to explore another superb area of the state!

It's important to continue to check out road conditions and closures. We're not out of the woods yet as far as further problems.

P.S. We're all wound up and disturbed today - even I am in a bad mood. I wouldn't take any heated comments on here too seriously today.
Last edited by sunny1 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 am

MonGoose wrote:-Three people have died this week and a dozen are missing.
-President Obama has approved federal aid for the city of Boulder.
-The town of Estes Park is under water and major highways in the region have been knocked out.
-Two hikers are stranded on Longs Peak.
The front range is a disaster.

yes, I do.

if you don't want to join in the conversation, kindly GTFO.
Last edited by Dark Helmet on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:30 am

Have you considered the Badlands or Devils Tower area? That might be within that 10hr. window you're looking for.
Sangres mightbe doable if you took E-470 around Denver then headed south. :-k

Postby Kruck » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:34 am

Come on up this way. Temps in the 70s down low, the 50s up high, cool to cold overnights, most of the tourists have left for the summer, the bears are active and $hi77ing all over our yards, our fires seem to be all contained, the trout are absolutely feasting on grasshopper season, and Yellowstone is 'enjoyable' again as the hordes are mostly back in school.
13.5 hrs.
[/chamber of commerce]
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:48 am

Westcliffe is just over 9 hours away, and none of the roads you would take to get there are closed.
From there you have access to lots of Sangre De Cristo hiking, backpacking, fishing, etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/36Bj9

There is Medicine Bow/ Snowy Range. 7.5 hour drive.
http://goo.gl/maps/p3tJN
Google Image Search "snowy range" and that should be enough to get you going. Might want to call and see how conditions are up there currently.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:54 am

Kiefer wrote:Have you considered the Badlands or Devils Tower area? That might be within that 10hr. window you're looking for.
Sangres mightbe doable if you took E-470 around Denver then headed south. :-k

I've done that trip 4-5 times... the kids haven't, but it doesn't have 10% of the hiking or scenery that Estes does... it's probably the "last ditch" choice... it's too much driving, in all honesty. I'd rather spend more time on foot once we get there.

on the Wyoming suggestions... I like the idea, but I'm trying to plan a "well planned 4-night vacation in about 12 hours (soccer tournament all weekend, monday getting the office ready for me to be gone for 4 days).

where to stay in Wyoming? good hikes for kids? things to do in the evenings?

Next