Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Committed Project

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Committed Project

Postby falcon568 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:14 am

I'm probably way late to the party on this one, but just found the site documenting Mark & Janelle Smiley's quest to climb all 50 classic climbs. Looks like they are nearing completion. Incredible videos of all their climbs on the site (which are pretty well done). Especially liked the ones documenting Hunter and Moose's Tooth.
http://smileysproject.com/
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Re: Committed Project

Postby Derby Ale » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 am

Very Interesting. I have a feeling that Shiprock is going to be damn hard for them to get permission. The Navajo regard Shiprock as sacred. I've been chased off just trying to photograph it. I wish them luck with securing permission, and can appreciate and respect that they are at least trying to do everything correctly in their endeavor.

Postby Brian C » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

It has been fun to follow their progress and also see how much better they gotten with the films.

I'd bet that they have already climbed Shiprock but just can't publicize it without official permission from the Navajo Nation.

They're biggest (and close to only at this point) obstacle will be Hummingbird Ridge.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Stone_man » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Yeah, I've enjoyed quite a few of those Smiley project videos as well, they are very well done. I think it's a very cool quest, and in some ways easier to relate to them as a moderate climber myself--since, in their own words they're not superstar climbers so it's more about determination and grit....and maybe some luck! I attended a Neptune presentation last year that they put on and they seemed like very cool, down to earth people.

I guess you might know a thing or two about Shiprock, eh Brian? From what you've read about in books, etc., I mean. :wink:

Hummingbird Ridge has never been repeated beyond the first ascent, correct?