Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2 girls stranded on the Loft

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 2 girls stranded on the Loft

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Wait, wait, wait, wait..... You mean we made it to 9 pages without ANYONE mentioning poop, Obama, orange tape, stranded dogs or democrats?

SOMEONE please!!! Take up the reigns and keep the hijack going!!!

"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Kiefer, you misspelled gurlz :roll:

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Kiefer, you misspelled gurlz :roll:

And reins #-o
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:Kiefer, you misspelled gurlz :roll:

And reins #-o

HA! And all this from an English major! The Horror!! #-o :lol:

Didn't someone say poop? :wink:
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby snowboardinco » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 pm

If you are the type of person who attempts a summit on longs with that marginal of a forecast then I'm sorry my friend you are also the type of person that gets me called out of bed at 1am to come rescue your marginal weather charging bad ass of a self. True mountaineers know better then to do something stupid like that and put myself and my teams lives at risk coming to save you. When you could have waited out the weather like A REAL MOUNTAINEER, and summit at a later date. Also I would like to hear more about these girls "back country experience" which does not exactly correlate to high altitude mountaineering. And who takes a tent up to the summit of longs??? I honestly can't help but wonder if they were doing some "field testing" of their new products and got in over their heads. It is very unusual to have a tent up that high, no one would want to carry that extra weight just in case. Sounds fishy.

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Regardless, of whatever the situation was/is...I am just thankful that this was not a body recovery mission. So glad these women made it out safely and alive.
=D> =D> =D>
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

Postby Stephen Butler » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:10 pm

snowboardinco wrote:If you are the type of person who attempts a summit on longs with that marginal of a forecast then I'm sorry my friend you are also the type of person that gets me called out of bed at 1am to come rescue your marginal weather charging bad ass of a self. True mountaineers know better then to do something stupid like that and put myself and my teams lives at risk coming to save you. When you could have waited out the weather like A REAL MOUNTAINEER, and summit at a later date. Also I would like to hear more about these girls "back country experience" which does not exactly correlate to high altitude mountaineering. And who takes a tent up to the summit of longs??? I honestly can't help but wonder if they were doing some "field testing" of their new products and got in over their heads. It is very unusual to have a tent up that high, no one would want to carry that extra weight just in case. Sounds fishy.

In my opinion, I still believe we don't have enough information to say these women made a bad decision (and maybe they did). You may be completely correct, but perhaps they were in the backcountry without access to weather forecasts before the "100 year storm" took affect. I and I'm sure most people applaud the SAR teams for their effort to organize a rescue effort for these two.

Postby lstomsl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:20 pm

People who might take a tent up to the summit of longs might include A) those who are training for a more extreme expedition and want to test themselves and/or their gear at high elevation and in inclement conditions in a relatively safe area s**t becomes more serious. B) those that want to test a product under what would normally be short-term conditions. Maybe you want to see how it performs in snow/ice/wind without putting yourself at extreme risk like you would in true calendar winter because lets face it its Colorado and 98 times out of 100 its gonna be warm and sunny within a day or 2. C) those who have traveled a long way and taken off work weeks in advance to go up longs and thus might be less willing than those of us who are fortunate to live in CO to cancel a trip. These might be willing to carry increased gear despite the weight in order to be safe because it might be a year before they get another shot.
It's all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap - Eric Cartman

Postby fluxrad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:52 pm

If we're going to second guess, then make sure we at least take something out of it:

- What were the human factors that might have influenced these women's decisions to climb Longs given the forecast? Would they have influenced you? Istomsl has the right of it: Are there factors like a vacation schedule that would impact your risk tolerance?

- What's your process for checking a forecast? Do you check for "weather" in the area before climbing, or do you look for more specifics? (I'm very much guilty of looking for an abbreviated forecast).

There are more questions. For what it's worth, I think these women probably made a number of bad decisions. But given that they seem relatively experienced, it's important not to fall into the trap of thinking that their decision-making process was borne of sheer hubris or idiocy. Instead, given the benefit of the doubt, it's just as important to ask "what are the factors that may or may not have influenced their decision making process that I can learn from?"

Speculation is fine, but only insofar as it's used for introspection.
"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume

Postby Derby Ale » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Seems to me that if you are an SAR member, and your attitude is "screw anyone who needs SAR", you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Postby Jesse M » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 pm

@Derby Ale [-(

Postby klinger » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Found Obama's abandoned dog when I was pooping next to orange tape (isn't that what it's for?) on Democrat the other day.

The rains are taking care of themselves this week.

Jus sayin.

PreviousNext