Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2 girls stranded on the Loft

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 2 girls stranded on the Loft

Postby MonGoose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm very glad to hear that Connie and Suzanne made it safely down from the mountain and are reported in good condition. =D>

While I don't believe this was an elaborate attempt to market outdoor gear (as some have suggested), I am curious to learn whether these two ladies were on vacation together or working in the field?

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 pm

There is a lot of analysis based on one twitter feed and a report they made it down the next day. How many real details do we have? I’m all for analyzing as a learning experience. But for analysis to be valid, it has to be based on fact. That we don’t have a lot of. I hope to see a good report released so we can have analysis based on actually knowing what happened!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby lstomsl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:44 pm

It's all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap - Eric Cartman

Postby TallGrass » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 pm

sigh wrote:speculation judgment internet...

1. http://i.imgur.com/jR9kQv7.jpg :mrgreen:

2. Need I remind folks what today is...
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:53 pm

I wonder if they snuggled to keep warm.
I'm looking forward to the movie.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby gdthomas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm surprised someone hasn't ripped into the title of this thread as photos of the subjects clearly indicate they are women.

Postby John Landers » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Suzanne Turell's family shared this text exchange from her cell phone before her battery died.
"We need help. At top of longs peak. 13400 feet. Whitehout snow storm."
"No injuries. Iced over risk of hypothermia. On South ridge."
"No battery. Yellow tent. We are off trail."

Their own words indicate they where not prepared or experienced enough for what they encountered. When you have no injuries, apparently know where you are at, and yet you can not get yourself out, you are at risk of hypothermia staying where you are at, you are not prepared. Plenty of mistakes and lessons to be learned. And that is not speculation.

Postby jomagam » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm

gdthomas wrote:I'm surprised someone hasn't ripped into the title of this thread as photos of the subjects clearly indicate they are women.

My thoughts too.

Postby mtree » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:45 pm

I'll skip all the speculation and bickering to send them an open invitation to the next 14ers happy hour! Connie and Suzanne, hope you can make it! You'll be able to meet some of the great local climbing community in person. Really! First drink is on me.

Postby peter303 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:54 pm

jdorje wrote:Sounded to me like they were on a 1-2 week backcountry trip - hence the tents. I wonder if they never got word about the impending deathstorm...

To be frank, I look at the weather Forecasts every few hours,
but didn't really hear this storm was to be as large as it was until the day of the big dump.
A couple of days off the grid would have been troublesome.
Conventional wisdom says "moonsoons late july & August", "no ice on Longs in August", "no thunderstorms in September"
yadya, yada. That is correct most years, but deadly this year. Semper paratus.

Postby lstomsl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:58 pm

And yet they DID get themselves out, so there is that....

We'll have to wait to hear their side of the story but I think it's got to be a difficult decision to know when to call for help or not. Especially when your batteries are dying and your window of opportunity is closing shut. For myself I would need to believe I was in real danger of dying before pulling the plug. We all know there are people that will hit their SPOT if they get hungry.

A relative of mine lost his legs decades ago after getting lost ice climbing on Mt. Washington. Losing his legs was bad enough but what really bothered him since then was that a SAR member was killed in an avalanche looking for them. SAR are professionals (well not really but at least well trained...), thats what they are there for but I personally would not to endanger them for myself unless absolutely necessary. On the other hand I am a SAR volunteer myself and I would hate to see somebody NOT call if they needed help. Individual decision.

Those girls stayed at 13,400 feet in an icestorm for at least a day before mentioning they needed help. I have no problem with what they did.
It's all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap - Eric Cartman

Postby Jesse M » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:04 pm

The news article posted earlier in this thread and on the FB page says they started Monday and would fly back Friday. So they were not off the grid or on a 1-2 week backpack.

PreviousNext