Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2 girls stranded on the Loft

Items that do not fit the categories above.

2 girls stranded on the Loft

Postby Kiefer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:51 pm

I checked a single guy into my hotel earlier this evening. He braved Trail Ridge Road coming over from Winter Park. He said, two rangers at the patrol cabin in Chasm Meadows are stranded for the time being. Visibility is 0%. There's two girls stranded on the Loft. But they have a tent, bags and assc. clothing. No axes or crampons though.
He's heading up in the morning, with the rangers I believe to attempt a rescue.
Drink Guinness!!

Re: 2 girls stranded on the Loft

Postby jameseroni » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Wow. Could you even get there from Estes? Is p2p and all of the canyon roads including hwy 7 shut down? Praying!

Postby davidponak » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:22 am

Watching the flooding twitter feed I saw this go by http://helpconnieandsuz.tumblr.com/ about these girls and came here to see if anyone was talking about it. Talk about bad timing to need a rescue.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:34 am

Dang, that sucks! Let's hope they can wait it out until things clear up and someone can get some proper gear to them, so they can get themselves down safely. What a terrifying situation :(

Postby BrianWright » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 am

Crazy! Over here on the west slope we are hoping the best for everyone involved in the flooding, including these stranded hikers. Be careful out there everyone!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com

Postby wrxpilot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:52 am

That is absolutely insane that they were up there in the first place at that time. I hope they stay safe and are rescued quickly, but WTF were they thinking?

Postby Derby Ale » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 am

Well they had been there a day as of the message at 9:00 am Yesterday, so it sounds like they were already up there before the weather turned ugly and then got stuck.

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:00 am

Seems it would be relatively easy to get a chopper on the Loft once the weather clears. The tumblr page mentions the "Notch", so it's not clear to me where they are. Hopefully they can hang and stay dry and warm until rescue arrives.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Scott P » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:00 am

Yes, that sucks that they are trapped.

On the other hand, if they had a tent and sleeping bag and managed to keep it dry, the situation has an excellent chance of having a good outcome.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 am

wrxpilot wrote:That is absolutely insane that they were up there in the first place at that time. I hope they stay safe and are rescued quickly, but WTF were they thinking?

Please, let’s leave that alone for now. The speculation from early reports is usually different from what actually played out.

I’m hoping they are hanging in there and the good folks in SAR are able to safely get them off the mountain.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby wrxpilot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 am

MountainHiker wrote:
wrxpilot wrote:That is absolutely insane that they were up there in the first place at that time. I hope they stay safe and are rescued quickly, but WTF were they thinking?

Please, let’s leave that alone for now. The speculation from early reports is usually different from what actually played out.

I’m hoping they are hanging in there and the good folks in SAR are able to safely get them off the mountain.

Fair enough. My prayers are with them and most definitely with the First Responders heading up into that mess.

Postby mkrier » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 am

Hoping for good outcome. GL SAR

Next