Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flooding Tragedy

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Flooding Tragedy

Postby mtflatrock » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Until very recently I've had no emotional or romantic connection to Colorado. But now that I've traveled there twice in the last month to complete my first four 14ers I've not only developed an attachment to Colorado and its magnificent beauty but also to the warmth and friendliness of its residents. I've had the occasion to share trail and summit experiences with many helpful and friendly people. The tragic flooding and loss of life and property there have affected me considerably, and I wish to extend my sincerest sympathies and best wishes to all Coloradans, including fellow mountain enthusiasts who have been directly or indirectly affected by this tragedy.

Re: Flooding Tragedy

Postby iholdthepain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I echo your sentiment... Just moved into Loveland 2 weeks ago from TX, been driving through the canyon almost nightly to places like Lumpy Ridge, Lily Lake, "The Mish" ... and my happy place, Kind Coffee. Very heartbreaking to see what's happening to these places just hours after being there! Humans are very resilient (or stubborn), though, and I'm sure the area will recover in no time... I'll be up in Estes to help out whenever this mess subsides... I have a good friend in a shelter up there right now :(
To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”

Postby mtflatrock » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I wish I were closer (Utah) so I could volunteer to help those in need. There are a lot of flash floods here too, but not to the extent they are occurring there. I hope this weather pattern is short-lived.

Postby PaliKona » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

They're now calling this a 100 year event..crazy

Postby jsdratm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 pm

PaliKona wrote:They're now calling this a 100 year event..crazy

They are also calling the Longmont and Lyons floods a 500 year event, meaning 0.2% chance of happening in a given year

Postby aweygandt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 pm

mtflatrock, thanks for the love and support sent out to CO. My wife works at CU Boulder. Fortunately, she got back to Denver safely yesterday before the flooding really got going.

jsdratm, your profile says you live in Boulder. I hope you, family, and friends are doing well. Is there anything us Denver-ites can do to help our brothers/sisters to the North?

Postby Dark Helmet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm

is there a timeline on the water receeding? we're supposed to be vacationing in estes next week....

(please lord spare Ed's)

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

There is a lag time in the receeding of flood water of hour to days after rain events. So it all depends when the rain stops. Your bigger problem will the destroyed roads. A lot of work will have to be done to restore access.

Postby pseudoghost » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:is there a timeline on the water receeding? we're supposed to be vacationing in estes next week....

(please lord spare Ed's)

Be prepared to drive farther than you planned. Not sure yet which roads will be passable after this, but the early reports are that some of the main routes into Estes are washed out...

Postby Kiefer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:is there a timeline on the water receeding? we're supposed to be vacationing in estes next week....

(please lord spare Ed's)

Sunday perhaps?

Ed's was NOT spared by the way. Water in main street (Elkhorn Avenue) was calf deep. That was 3 hours ago.

Postby iholdthepain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Trail Ridge Road will be the only passable route for a while, or maybe 7. Big chunks of road on 34 and 36 have washed away. Also, video showed about a foot or two of water rushing through Ed's (and Kind) at around 4pm...

BTW: Casa Grande>Ed's (no offense to the cantina)
To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:08 pm

HWY 7 out of Lyons is gone, washed out, unpassable.

Might need to do a long diversion and take peak to peak hwy from Golden (via 6 or I-70). Not sure about what northern options there are.

Next