Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The tallest mountain in America shrunk

Items that do not fit the categories above.

The tallest mountain in America shrunk

Postby Cheaton6 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 am

Kinda makes you wonder how accurate the 14er’s measurements are.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/us/mount-mckinley-shrinks/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Re: The tallest mountain in America shrunk

Postby jbealer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

"It's still high, it's still hard, it's still cold," climber Nick Parker told the Anchorage Daily News. "As long as it's higher than Texas, I don't care."

and thats all that matters!

does make you wonder though.....

Postby geojed » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

QOTD:
"It's still high, it's still hard, it's still cold," climber Nick Parker told the Anchorage Daily News. "As long as it's higher than Texas, I don't care."
:lol: =D>

And still hundreds of feet ahead of Canada. That's where North America's second-tallest peak, Mount Logan at 19,551 feet, sits.

Take that Canada!
Last edited by geojed on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby CO Native » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am

When they rechecked the elevations of Colorado's mountains several years back they actually found that most were 5 to 15 feet taller. That's why some of the newer signs on Pikes Peak say 14,115 feet instead of 14,110 feet. No new fourteeners were added due to the correction though.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:34 am

The 14er changes weren't a recheck, they were an adjustment of the mathematical model of sea level. I wonder if Denali's change might be something like that.
edit: Nope, they really remeasured it. Here's another article: http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/denali-downsized-new-data-show-north-america-s-tallest-peak/article_0bde0378-1b36-11e3-9984-0019bb30f31a.html
This was kind of interesting:
What he found more interesting is that the entire ridge line of Mount Dickey in Denali National Park had been missing from previous maps and was finally found in the latest efforts.

“It’s right off of the air strip,” he said with a laugh. “It’s one of the most common climbs in the park area so everyone goes up Mount Dickey. That is interesting that it wasn’t accurately portrayed.”
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Beekman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 am

As sea levels rise will they have to adjust all of them?

Postby PatsSox09 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 am

staying on the subject of 14er elevations, it seems that Windom is actually higher than Eolus and is the highest of the Chicago Basin group. Apparently the standard elevation for Windom is based on the benchmark elevation, which is several feet below the actual summit, so if you add the difference between the benchmark and the summit Windom gets bumped up to 14,087

Postby ajkagy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am

Beekman wrote:As sea levels rise will they have to adjust all of them?

so when sea levels rise a few hundred feet from climate change we'll no longer have that many 14ers, hehe
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby MonGoose » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

Beekman wrote:As sea levels rise will they have to adjust all of them?

If sea level were to rise as little as 5' we'd lose a chunk of Florida and a lot of Louisiana.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3047/downloads/SIM3047.pdf

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 am

MonGoose wrote:If sea level were to rise as little as 5' we'd lose a chunk of Florida and a lot of Louisiana.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3047/downloads/SIM3047.pdf

Look, the rain's going to let up soon so there's really no need to bring these things up just to boost people's spirits.

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I hope Ouray never is discovered to be a 14er. It's such a beautiful mountain that would be wrecked by the masses.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 pm

geojed wrote:QOTD:
:lol: =D>

And still hundreds of feet ahead of Canada. That's where North America's second-tallest peak, Mount Logan at 19,551 feet, sits.

Take that Canada!

I shouldn't really tell you this .... but when Canadians move to the US, we are instructed to take rocks from the tallest US mountains, then return to Canada and add them to Canadian mountains. Eventually Logan will be higher! :twisted:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Next