Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The 7th Principle of LNT

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: The 7th Principle of LNT

Postby tlongpine » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 pm

J-RockandRockpile wrote:
madbuck wrote:
madbuck wrote:
Somewhat agreed, but the distinction of Wilderness Ethics is involved in what to expect in Wilderness. One can expect to play music or hear shouting at a public park. One can expect cell phone conversations on NYC sidewalks. One can expect to ride an ATV or mt. bike or your favourite hang glider elsewhere.

This is simple in codifying specifically that electronic devices and excessive noise are a significant detriment to Wilderness experience. It is helpful and important to understand what "Wilderness" means.
It does not mean that every possible pet peeve -- e.g. someone wearing a rival team's baseball cap or cotton or bushy sideburns -- is necessarily a legitimate complaint that is antithetical to the Wilderness ethic.

It means don't come up on a summit and call work or your friends and say, "Guess where I am?" and then discuss details of your TPS report. But if you're certain that nobody's around, or you consciously move away out of earshot or text discretely, go for it. Everybody wins.

The always has been taken away, I actually did not intend on leaving that at all - just a poor job in cropping. One could also begin to "expect" music and talking on 14ers as they continue to grow in popularity and the same droves of people whom inhabit the city make there way onto these summits. As many of these people will do little research into the codifying and definition of Wildreness or even consider its ethics. Generally speaking people rarely do any in depth research of anything these days, they may hear that a friend of a friend hiked a mountain and its sounds 'cool' or 'fun' and they then submit themselves to that endeavor. You want to talk "ethics" with the average person go for it, thats a whole new ball game.

Well, let us begin with ourselves and be exemplary.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm

tlongpine wrote:
-Step to the downhill side of the trail when encountering pack stock.

um, sorry i will forever refuse to do this one.
i prefer the uphill side do the previous mention safer for me usually with footing and i refuse to have a horse/mule with its feet any closer to my head much less the rest of me than my physical stature already permits.
having been kicked at and stepped on in the past in the stables has ingrained this
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby aussie56 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Speaking of horses I just did a 12 mile out and back on the Beaver Brook trail and i was appallled at the damage. There was obvious erosion from recent rain but also a bunch of damage on the downhill side of the trail whhich seemed to coincide with a bunch of horsesh--t and even more alarmingly a whole lot of cowpies!! How do cows get out there??

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 pm

aussie56 wrote:Speaking of horses I just did a 12 mile out and back on the Beaver Brook trail and i was appallled at the damage. There was obvious erosion from recent rain but also a bunch of damage on the downhill side of the trail whhich seemed to coincide with a bunch of horsesh--t and even more alarmingly a whole lot of cowpies!! How do cows get out there??

actually saw the erosion from horses on trail when i did harvard at the end of july.
there was a trail ride that came up behind me and went to bear lake and they kicked some of the step stones on the down climb, along with braiding the trail around the low hanging trees over the trail and all the poop.

i understand that its more natural poop than a dogs, but still believe it carries exposure risks for the wildlife and think they should have to wag bag them to make sure it stays off the trail atleast
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Previous