Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Post hike sleep.

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Post hike sleep.

Postby lodgling » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:39 pm

If you can, sit in the stream that you have cooled your post-hike beer(s) in while drinking said beer(s). I am also a big fan of Endurox.

Postby larkinrx2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:48 pm

SkaredShtles wrote:This is absolutely the issue. Evidence:

Forgot to highlight the Na and K!

Postby larkinrx2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:50 pm

bergsteigen
How does Gatorade fit the paleo diet?

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:03 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:bergsteigen
How does Gatorade fit the paleo diet?

It's fringe. I get the Gatorade with real sugar, not fake. My compromise to finding other post-hike drinks. The dyes are bad, but convenience stores are more likely to have Gatorade than coconut water. And when you need the powdered version for backpacking, there is not much else for that cheap. I've used Gu2O before as well. But any version will have some chemicals and dyes, and I'm not paleo enough to make everything from scratch, yet. Bottom line, I'd rather have a Gatorade than straight water after a hike.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby SkaredShtles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:07 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:This is absolutely the issue. Evidence:

Forgot to highlight the Na and K!

You should eat bananas for K and Doritos for Na. :mrgreen:

Postby TallGrass » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 pm

rkalsbeek wrote:ColoKeith - thanks for putting up that link. Question though - wouldn't you want your body to be in parasympathetic mode at night after a long day of hiking. Reason I wonder is because your body should be healing/regenerating?
Yes, it's recuperative. And I'd differ with the link saying "The sympathetic system ... always takes precedence" because if you remain there long enough the para' will reel one back in before you drive the body into the ground (six feet low). When you hear of a performer who collapses on stage after days of go-go-go-go-go and their doctor saying they're fine and just need to rest, that's what's going on (though tabloids love to speculate otherwise).

So para can trump symp, and arguably kill in extreme cases like self-fulfilling voodoo curses (ultra sustained stress, para puts the brakes on too hard, one or more systems shut down or slow below critical). When Homie went "boom, lights out, Zzzzzz," that was para exerting dominance over his desire/will (symp) to continue.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby goingup » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:08 pm

This stuff tastes pretty atrocious but I gag about 2 down during long days or long runs and I stand by the fact that they really work. If you decide to try them get the raspberry flavor, orange zest is just wrong on so many levels.

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Previous