Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Post hike sleep.

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Post hike sleep.

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:21 am

OP:
You might consider 400-800mg magnesium oxide (it's OTC) daily or at least a few days before these big workouts.
It's best taken in the evening with dinner or a snack and is a good first step in resolving leg cramps/spasms before moving toward pharma products.
It sounds like a good potassium bump might be helpful for you, too.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby geojed » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:28 am

Sport Legs should help. I always take them pre- and post-hike. Seem to work pretty well.
Attachments
supplement-facts-sl-9-bottl.gif
supplement-facts-sl-9-bottl.gif (32.62 KiB) Viewed 301 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby madbuck » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am

Great responses and resources above, and interesting to note that others experience this.

The one other thing I'd add: sometimes in this case, after a big hike/run, I'll sleep (or nap) on the couch as a favour to me AND my wife! Importantly, what I'll also do is prop my legs up on top of the couch. I had been doing this for awhile without thinking it (usually napping in the afternoon), when I later saw a friend prop his legs up in the locker room for 5-10 minutes after a run, saying it helped relieve cramps or something. Bloodflow, metabolic waste, blah blah blah...point is, it seems to help!

Postby colokeith » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 am

rkalsbeek wrote:ColoKeith - thanks for putting up that link. Question though - wouldn't you want your body to be in parasympathetic mode at night after a long day of hiking. Reason I wonder is because your body should be healing/regenerating?

yeah as I understand it you want your body in parasympathetic mode as much as possible. If you go into sympathetic mode you have "overstressed" your body.

Disclaimer I am not a doctor. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

+1 on the magnesium recommendation. Epsom salts or magnesium oils are a good way to get magnesium. it is absorbed better transdermally than orally
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby rkalsbeek » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:50 am

Disclaimer I am not a doctor. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:lol: Thanks for the info!

+1 for propping legs up. I use to run competitively and after long work outs we would sit with our butts against the wall and our legs going straight up the wall. It draws all of the lactic acid out of your legs. Lactic acid build up is what causes sore muscles after work outs. 10 - 15 minutes of this and you'll feel great!
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby jdorje » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Ah, in addition to the water/electrolytes, I'll suggest something I've said before: weigh yourself before and after a major athletic event. Each pound you lose is roughly 1 pint of water+salts, so you can use the information to make sure you are re-hydrated after hiking even if the stress on your body causes you to not "feel" thirsty.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Tortoise1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:14 pm

The bananas and Gatorade diet works for me.
Last edited by Tortoise1 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mountainspirit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Coconut water
Coconut water
Coconut water

Loads of potassium in there and I'm drinking it after every "big" hike

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm

jdorje wrote:Ah, in addition to the water/electrolytes, I'll suggest something I've said before: weigh yourself before and after a major athletic event. Each pound you lose is roughly 1 pint of water+salts, so you can use the information to make sure you are re-hydrated after hiking even if the stress on your body causes you to not "feel" thirsty.

Does Thanksgiving dinner qualify as an "athletic event"?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Tortoise1 wrote:The bananas and Gatorade diet works for me.

This and the occasional coconut water with hard boiled eggs for post hike. Plus my 1lb bacon burger with bell peppers for dinner, and I sleep like a rock.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby michaelgrundy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:02 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
Tortoise1 wrote:The bananas and Gatorade diet works for me.

... Plus my 1lb bacon burger with bell peppers for dinner, and I sleep like a rock.

Now that sounds like a solution with merit!

Postby SkaredShtles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:not enough post hike beers sound like the issue

This is absolutely the issue. Evidence:

PreviousNext