Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Post hike sleep.

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Post hike sleep.

Postby michaelgrundy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:34 am

Completely random question...

After a big day in the mountains, I will come home and be fine right up until it is time to go to bed. Right as I am laying in bed ready to fall asleep, I have a tendency to get muscle spasms in my legs, back, core. I don't feel like I have RLS or anything like that... It is just after a big workout. The spasm kind of feels like that moment when you are almost asleep and you have that feeling like you are falling and you jerk, waking yourself up.

Now, the question is... what are some of the tips for curbing or avoiding the spasms altogether? Is it an electrolyte imbalance? Just plain ol' exhaustion? The other thing that happens is that I have the weirdest and most random dreams that night. Pretty much a crappy night sleep.

Anyone else ever go through this? Anyone have any home remedies?

Re: Post hike sleep.

Postby larkinrx2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 am

not enough post hike beers sound like the issue
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby GeezerClimber » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 am

This happens to me after a really long day, i.e. 12 hours or more. I don't get spasms but my leg muscles still feel like they are fired up, so to speak, and I don't sleep well the first night even though I'm really tired. A 6-8 hour climb does not affect me. Sorry, I don't know how to prevent or stop it. I suppose a sleeping pill would knock me out but haven't taken any.

Dave

Postby jdorje » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 am

I'll vote for lack of water+electrolytes.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Lamb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 am

Stretching helps me.

Postby michaelgrundy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, I thought electrolytes too. I know I am getting a lot of water since I tend to go through 4 - 5 liters on most hikes. (What can I say, I like to stay hydrated). I also try to eat foods with sodium and potassium, though I might not be eating enough of them to keep up with my water intake... I could also try the stretching tip. I havent really done much stretching, but what is the worst that could happen?!

larkinrx2 wrote:not enough post hike beers sound like the issue

Yeah, maybe I need to step up the beer intake! Drink enough and just pass out... might be the answer, but the day after hangover sounds like it might not be worth it... haha .... :faint:

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am

michaelgrundy wrote:Completely random question...

After a big day in the mountains, I will come home and be fine right up until it is time to go to bed. Right as I am laying in bed ready to fall asleep, I have a tendency to get muscle spasms in my legs, back, core. I don't feel like I have RLS or anything like that... It is just after a big workout. The spasm kind of feels like that moment when you are almost asleep and you have that feeling like you are falling and you jerk, waking yourself up.

Now, the question is... what are some of the tips for curbing or avoiding the spasms altogether? Is it an electrolyte imbalance? Just plain ol' exhaustion? The other thing that happens is that I have the weirdest and most random dreams that night. Pretty much a crappy night sleep.

Anyone else ever go through this? Anyone have any home remedies?

Same thing happens to me - my legs will jerk involuntarily, like a jolt of electricity went through them. It's bizarre and only happens after big hikes. I think it's an electrolyte thing because your muscles depend on electrolytes to function properly.
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby colokeith » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 am

Jerking when falling asleep is one of the symptoms that your sympathetic nervous system is in control. The symapthetic nervous system takes over when the body is stressed. This stress can be a combination of mental and physical stress (over exertion) http://drlwilson.com/Articles/NERVOUS%20SYSTEM.htm

These spasms are called hypnic Jerks.

Other symptoms of the sympathetic nervous system being in control are an increase in basal temperature, increased resting pulse, and hangnails.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby geojed » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 am

colokeith wrote:Jerking when falling asleep....
:wft: :wft: :wft:
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby colokeith » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:04 am

geojed wrote:
colokeith wrote:Jerking when falling asleep....
:wft: :wft: :wft:

=D> Well played Jed! I literally LOLd in my office.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby michaelgrundy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 am

colokeith wrote:Other symptoms of the sympathetic nervous system being in control ...... and hangnails.

OK, I can deal with the rest... but HANGNAILS!?!? I'm done with this mountaineering thing.... [-(

Postby rkalsbeek » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

ColoKeith - thanks for putting up that link. Question though - wouldn't you want your body to be in parasympathetic mode at night after a long day of hiking. Reason I wonder is because your body should be healing/regenerating?
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Next