Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trainer Keri 14er Finisher on Wetterhorn!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Trainer Keri 14er Finisher on Wetterhorn!

Postby ChrisinAZ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Congrats Keri! While it would've been fun to have you along when we hit up Wetterhorn a few years back, it certainly looks like you made the most of it this time! Spectacular peak to finish on...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby globreal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Trainer Keri….way to go on your 14er Finisher! It's a huge accomplishment to meet such a large goal. I wish you the heartiest of congratulations. And wowser…how did you get to be so popular? It must be your climbing attire! You sure made everybody want to follow suit! :-D Looks like you guys had a super fun day. And days like these should be celebrated….especially in light of the bad days, when we lose fellow climbers. :(

Keri, I hate to comment on your celebratory thread but….this is where it is.

anna wrote:Well, since no one else seems to want to address the elephant in the room ... I will. Considering the group, I fully expect to be condemned for my comments,

Most important in this case, would be to point out this clause, which some variation of is included in EVERY wilderness area's regulations and limits group size: Groups exceeding 15 persons and/or 25
heartbeats, including pack and saddle stock. Larger groups must separate into smaller groups and remain at least one mile apart at all times.

First let me say….I REALLY appreciate the efforts to abide by the rules that the Wetterhorn party took. I really do. We've seen those who don't and then make it worse when they don't even care of the impact. This group of climbers did seem to care and made an attempt to care. Good job. Now...

Anna, you are not condemned. In fact, I appreciate you pointing out what you did out. I was educated by the line…."remain at least one mile apart at all times." Hmmm….good to know for future hikes in wilderness areas.

Now that being said…Anna, you have contributed so much to this site, it's all the more reason we need people like you! Elephants are really big, you can't push them around , and they don't practice LEAVE NO TRACE! For those folks…I second the comment...

Please come back!
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
~Psalm 46:1

Postby howmuchhigher » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't make a habit of creeping around on here or posting but I have to say it was really fun randomly being at matterhorn creek and meeting everybody the night before the hike. All y'all were really friendly and fun. I'm just sorry that I yad already climbed wetterhorn that day and had to pull 16 miles for uncompahgre - wetterhorn was way more fun. Congrats to you Keri! I would be honored to pull a crowd like that and have such a neon time to boot. I hope to bump into y'all again on the trails, Robin.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:54 pm

I dont think I even know 32 people
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby dillonsarnelli » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Keri! I just wanted to sincerely apologize for all of this. I have never started an actual thread on this site prior to last night. In a public forum people are permitted to say what they want. I get that. I still believe there is a place and time for everything and I personally would choose to find a solid alternative, than to turn a memorial thread into something disrespectful, or a congratulatory thread into something ugly. That's just me...

To everyone in that 1st picture, you're all some kick a$s respectful amazing people and thanks for one of the best 14er weekends of all time. Keri, have I mentioned that YOU'RE AWESOME!

And now back to the TR section! Someone please print, cut, and paste the many good threads on here and laminate them for Keri!

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Don't apologize, dude! Looks like a great group. I have every ounce of faith that all those hikers took care of the land and respected our wonderful state WHILE having a freaking great time.

Congrats, Keri!

Postby zdero1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:Don't apologize, dude! Looks like a great group. I have every ounce of faith that all those hikers took care of the land and respected our wonderful state WHILE having a freaking great time.

Congrats, Keri!

I would certainly agree with that. Saw nothing but 100% adherence to LNT principles, and everyone having a great time on a breathtaking peak.
Attachments
wetterhorn.jpg
wetterhorn.jpg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Postby Trainer Keri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm

No Dillion...YOU'RE AWESOME!!! I mean look at yourself! 8)

Postby unclegar » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Congrats Keri! =D> Huge accomplishment!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Michael J » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Congratulations Keri!! I sure wish I could have been there. Most of us on this website know the amount of time, training, effort, dedication, and yes, money that it takes to go after a goal like this. This is an amazing accomplishment! What a great job you have done to reach an amazing goal!

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."

Postby TallGrass » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Maybe the takeaway from this is "if you're going to have a finisher party on the summit with 15+ people for an hour or two, choose a summit not in Wilderness"? :-k Would Pikes, Evans, or others be better suited? While finishing is cool, imagine if you were in the middle of your 58 and there were 32 people hanging out on a non-Front Range 14er summit for a couple hours. Instead of relaxing and enjoying the views with a degree of solitude, I'd probably get my benchmark photo and get the hell out of the mellay. Do I want to be in the rock fall path of people I don't know who've been drinking for an hour or two? True some like mixing alcohol with motorcycles and call any who doesn't a square, not that I don't like both, but just prefer celebrate with it parked for the night or after the most dangerous part (downclimb, no?).

While LNT might address how past hikers can preserve the Wilderness experience for future ones,
wouldn't the reg's (group size, distance, etc.) address how present hikers can preserve the Wilderness experience for others also present?
Same place, different times
vs.
same place, same time.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby match » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 am

I had no idea any of this was going on but everyone was very friendly and I thought it made for a cool experience. Congrats Kerri!

PreviousNext