Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TX Longhorns Training W/ Altitude Masks

Items that do not fit the categories above.

TX Longhorns Training W/ Altitude Masks

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:56 pm

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I know there was a thread about this not long ago, but UT has been using these garbage masks to prepare to play BYU in Provo:

lololololololololol

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/texas/post/_/id/18102/elevation-masks-prepare-texas-for-byu-air

silly texans ...
Go get it

Re: TX Longhorns Training W/ Altitude Masks

Postby MonGoose » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Provo, UT - Elevation: 4,551'

I'm sorry but any conditioned athlete should be able to perform at this elevation, especially with oxygen tanks on the sidelines.

Silly Whorns! :lol:

Postby Klinger1986 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Do these actually work for acclimating, or does it just make your diaphragm stronger?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Per the article, it forces you to breathe deeper making your body utilize oxygen better than it would otherwise. Not a bad idea for them, IMO to use it all season long. Why not? (That and those are two Chiefs in the pic, prepping for the Donks.)

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm

NM
Last edited by Hungry Jack on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby MatB » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Played college lacrosse in Columbus and anytime we flew out to Colorado to play DU and Air Force, you could feel the altitude. And no, we didn't have oxygen on the sidelines. Provo is a little lower than Denver, but I'm sure it still has an impact (doesn't change the fact those mask are silly).
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby JDgreen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:11 pm

As a Univ of WYO alum always loved the signs in War Memorial Stadium, "Welcome to 7200 feet".
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!

Postby vusteph » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 pm

the masks do look funny.

but have you guys ever gone from sea level to 5k? it does make a difference. running at 5k my first day here was like running day 1. like first day running ever. ive done triathlons and 10k's at sea level and that still doesn't prepare you for the first day(s) at altitude which are always brutal.

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Not to completely rehash the previous thread, but how can it possibly make a difference? The mask does not change the quantity or oxygen content of the air in your lungs (*); it just makes you work harder to breathe. But it can't be conditioning your diaphragm; it's just teaching you to breathe more than you think you should. And it's not teaching you this in a sustainable way, since the involuntary breathing reflex is triggered by carbon dioxide, the presence of which is predicated on having oxygen in the first place.

Seems to me like the time would be better spent doing sprints. And yes, college football teams surely use supplemental oxygen. They can certainly afford it, and I'm pretty sure there's no rule against it, so...

(*) I could imagine making such a mask, one that gives an extra 30% nitrogen on each intake of breath and drops the oxygen content to 14% or so. Would that simulate altitude?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby vusteph » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 am

jdorje wrote:Not to completely rehash the previous thread, but how can it possibly make a difference? The mask does not change the quantity or oxygen content of the air in your lungs (*); it just makes you work harder to breathe. But it can't be conditioning your diaphragm; it's just teaching you to breathe more than you think you should. And it's not teaching you this in a sustainable way, since the involuntary breathing reflex is triggered by carbon dioxide, the presence of which is predicated on having oxygen in the first place.

Seems to me like the time would be better spent doing sprints. And yes, college football teams surely use supplemental oxygen. They can certainly afford it, and I'm pretty sure there's no rule against it, so...

(*) I could imagine making such a mask, one that gives an extra 30% nitrogen on each intake of breath and drops the oxygen content to 14% or so. Would that simulate altitude?

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but when we were in RMNP with a guide and we had just come straight from sealevel he told us to "backpressure" or "altitude" breathe. Basically when you exhale you hold some of the air in and exhale slowly to create back pressure in your lungs which supposedly forces your body to absorb more of the oxygen. When we were climbing Cotopaxi one of our friends had told us to do the same thing.

i think it's akin to this reputable source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pursed_lip_breathing

but a quick google search actually comes up with a bunch of medical reasons for learning or being forced to breathe like this.

Postby jdorje » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:17 am

So they should wear the mask while playing?

I have read some good things about pursed breathing but it is completely unrelated to these masks.

Postby fahixson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Maybe they should have used deer antler spray. The masks don't seem to be doing any good as they're down by 20.

Next