Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2013 14er Dance Off Challenge

Items that do not fit the categories above.

2013 14er Dance Off Challenge

Postby MonGoose » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am

It brings me great pleasure to officially announce the 2013 - 14ers Dance of Challenge. This year's contest will be co-hosted by the 2012 Dance Off Champion, Semitrueskerm and myself. As always, the winners will be determined by you, the users of 14ers.com

2013 Dance Off Guidelines
-Upload your video to YouTube (or Vimeo) and link to this thread
-All entries must be received by Sept 30th, 2013.
-Voting will take place right here on 14ers.com during the month of October
Here are last year's contestants videos and final voting results.

Here are the 2013 Dance Off contestants broken into their respective categories and listed chronologically:
Individual Category
Speth on Mt Sneffels
The smokin' hot bilingual Macarena with synchronized dance moves coupled with a steamy finish. Speth's Never Gonna Give Up until he takes home the cup.
Critics Review: "The sex appeal in this video is through the roof!"

Lady McClimbsalot on Capitol Peak
Getting Super Freaky on Colorado's most difficult 14er, Lady McClimbsalot shows why she's the favorite to win this year's dance competition.
Critics Review: "Damn!"

goingup on La Plata Peak
An old school booty shakin' hit, goingup is showing the world Where It Is.
Critics Review: "That jacket just had to go."

HarknessHooligans on Grays Peak
Rockin' the K-Pop smash single Gangnam Style with choreographed dance moves, Ashley shows the world she's back in the hunt for this year's trophy.
Critics Review: "This is supposed to be an amateur competition."

Cookiehiker on Handies Peak
Bustin' out moves form the cult classic film: Napoleon Dynamite, Noel submits her last minute entry to this year's competition.
Critics Review: "If the wig hadn't fallen off, I wouldn't have known it was Noel."

blazintoes on Crestone Needle
Upon completing her 58th Colorado 14er, balzintoes enters the world of dance competition with a celebration video of her outstanding accomplishment.

MonGoose on Mount Columbia (with BenfromtheEast cameo appearance)

Group Category
MonGoose on Pikes Peak featuring Cookiehiker, SilverLynx, Emily, Speth, Wildlobo71, SurfNTurf and ylingli
Breaking out the 4 season dance moves, this dance party on Pikes Peak is certain to leave you with a Good Feeling.

MountainFever's Harlem Shake on Mt Elbert featuring SilverLynx, Wildlobo71, Emily and Sophie the Dog ...
Representing Colorado in style with a Harlem Shake video from the state's highest mountain.

Reece
While most Harlem Shakers put on costumes, these guys prefer to take them off.

forbins_mtn on Castle Peak featuring Kelly, Nick and Kevin
This video details the epic journey of 3 guys and 1 girl trying to Get Lucky.
Critics Review: "Kelly steals the show."

Gurlz Hike on Crestone Needle featuring Bergsteigen, Jump Roper, superdawg, koeffling, Leanne and scramble
Colorado Gurlz getting crazy on the summit, because nothing comes close to the golden peaks.
Critics Review: "A video so hot, it melted my popsicle."

Final Results
Lady McClimbsalot was voted the champion of the Individual Category for her video on Capitol Peak while the Colorado Gurlz took home the trophy for Best Group Video. The trophy presentation took place at the 14er Happy Hour on November 7, 2013 in Denver.
14erDanceOffTrophies.jpg
2013 14er Dance Off Trophy Presentation (photo by Michael J. Weddell)
14erDanceOffTrophies.jpg (336.54 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Last edited by MonGoose on Thu May 08, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 42 times in total.

Re: 2013 14er Dance Off Challenge

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am

Hi All!

We hope everyone has been practicing their dance moves for the 2013 14er Dance Off Challenge! This is the second annual Dance Off and I’m excited to be assisting Mr. Mongoose in organizing this event. This was all his brainchild, so all props to him on coming up with a fun idea to help celebrate our passion for 14ers!
A couple of notes: The timing of announcing this year’s Dance Off comes amidst some sad news with some recent tragic deaths of some very beloved climbers and members of this site. Mongoose & I delayed our announcement of this Dance Off a few days out of respect. We do realize that these tragic events are still pretty fresh. We, in no way, want to misdirect the attention of seriousness and safety required to climb a 14er with what really is supposed to be a light-hearted, fun Dance Off event. To honor these folks who have recently passed, we do ask that you be safe while climbing, especially if you plan to tape a Dance submission on top of a summit.

Please know that this event is open to EVERYONE who wants to submit a Dance Video! We really hope to get many more submissions this year. Please feel free to submit questions to Mr. Mongoose or myself via this thread if any issues come up!

Finally, we had a little fun making our admittedly cheesy introduction/announcement video, including playing up the angle of “Out of Staters vs. Colorado Natives” for the Champion. Despite this fun rivalry, when voting opens, please vote for your favorite video, regardless of where that person is from. The best dancer and best group deserve to win on the entertainment provided by their dancin’, not by where they are from. After all is said and done, I’m sure we will continue to poke fun at the playful rivalry of out-of-state vs. in-state dancers, but only to continue to drum up interest in the years to follow. Within four years, we hope this will become an Olympic sanctioned event.

Again, thanks to Mother Goose for his facilitation of this most awesome of climbing events. Remember, legends are born on the summit. It’s not HOW you summit, it’s how you CELEBRATE on the summit!

Climb on! Climb safe! Keep it (relatively) clean and have FUN! That’s the whole point!

--Jim (SemiTrueSkerm)

Postby sunny1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Guys, is it mandatory to be a 14er summit? Will any CO summit count?
LOL - great vid!! :mrgreen: =D>
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi Sunny1!

I spoke to Nick and we both agree that the competition's intent is to dance atop a 14er summit. We're going to stick with that premise.
However, when we begin to post the video submissions, we will post all submissions both 14er and non-14er. The only difference is that the non-14er summit dances will NOT be eligible for voting. Rather, we will label those videos as part of a Summit Dance Exhibition!

This is showcase of how good (or bad) your dance moves are up high! Have fun!

If you want to get kids involved who normally won't be able to climb a 14er, I suppose there's always the Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak drive up & then dance... (but, don't admit that you didn't climb, else the voters may choose to not vote for you!!!) :-$

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm not sure what style of dance I want to do, but I really want to take part! I love dancing and I love mountains! \:D/
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Hmmmmm, I am envisioning a 14er summit keg party. Who's carrying the keg and who's carrying the stripper pole ?? :shock:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 pm

For fans of So You Think You Can Dance.... July 27th is National Dance Day.

http://dizzyfeetfoundation.org/national-dance-day
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Mindy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Maybe the gurlz should do a little dance this year Otina? :-D

Postby sunny1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm

mtgirl wrote:Who's carrying the stripper pole ?? :shock:

If you hike with poles, one could improvise... :-D

semitrueskerm wrote: The competition's intent is to dance atop a 14er summit. We're going to stick with that premise.
However, when we begin to post the video submissions, we will post all submissions both 14er and non-14er. The only difference is that the non-14er summit dances will NOT be eligible for voting. Rather, we will label those videos as part of a Summit Dance Exhibition!

:faint: (joking) Got it! I thought maybe you guys would make a "Hipster Dance" category :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Mindy wrote:Maybe the gurlz should do a little dance this year Otina? :-D

Think you can learn the Hip Hop routine in the link above? Cause that's how I roll \:D/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby USAKeller » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm

mtgirl wrote:and who's carrying the stripper pole ?? :shock:

Girl, I've got that covered!

I'm so in for a girls dance - takes me back to the good ol' days of hip hop! Leggo!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:14 pm

So the opening video for competition rules was worth it right there. This ought to be fun.

Next