Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Overcoming fears-14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Overcoming fears-14ers

Postby Andymcp1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:03 pm

With a fair amount of 14ers under my belt now, I think I would start to feel more comfortable with the idea of harder peaks, but that has not yet happened. I find myself worried about the loose rock, or my fear of heights making me not be able to complete the 14ers. I know there is alot of mental game involved with hiking and climbing, but I dont know how to get myself over it. Has anyone else had this issue? What are some things that have helped you work through it?

Re: Overcoming fears-14ers

Postby highpilgrim » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Honestly.

One foot in front of the other. Repeat until finished.

So far, so good.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby SikYou » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Same issue here. I really don't have a fear of heights but I do seem to have a fear of exposure (same thing?). I have done some class 3 but I tend to stay away from anything with moderate exposure. I plan to try and push myself some this year in the hopes that I will eventually feel more comfortable.
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Postby Gueza » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Just do it.

Pictures, TRs, and route descriptions of peaks in summer conditions can make routes seem harder and scarier than they really are. Worrying about it and actually being there on it are totally different things. Don't second guess yourself and get it!
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby zdero1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 pm

As someone who didn't climb a class 3 14er until #32, I have to say that I spent way too much time worrying about class 3 and waited a bit too long to start enjoying class 3+. Longs was #37 for me. I looked up at the homestretch and thought "no way." Thankfully I had a climbing buddy who provided some positive reinforcement. I took it one step at a time and got it done. Get out on a few easier class 3 peak (solid rock, good holds) and see what I mean. I think you'll surprise yourself.

Postby GeezerClimber » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 am

If you click on "Routes", you will see "14ers grouped by exposure". In my experience, there is a pretty big difference between levels 3 and 4. Begin with class 2+/3 and level 3 exposure to see how it goes. Photos generally look steeper/scarier than the real thing. Before you know it, you'll be tight roping the knife edge.

Dave

Postby JenGa » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 am

Gueza wrote:Pictures, TRs, and route descriptions of peaks in summer conditions can make routes seem harder and scarier than they really are. Worrying about it and actually being there on it are totally different things. Don't second guess yourself and get it!

I have to agree with Gueza - I looked at the TR for south Maroon Peak until it freaked me out so much I had anxiety simply driving to the trailhead. Turns out that it was not nearly as scary as it looked (as difficult, yes). I felt like all that anxiety just got into my head.

Highpilgrim is right on - just go do it. Keep doing it. Don't overthink it. Just keep breathing and stay calm. If it is too hard you are maybe off route. I could keep going with these platitudes, but seriously - just go out there. Good luck :-D

-Jen

Postby bj » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:54 am

When I started my 14'ers years ago I did the same thing. Started with the easy ones while I slowly built up my skills. I started technical climbing, took training wherever I could get it cheap, and made friends with people who could teach me more. Over 8 years I gained skill and confidence and was able to complete California's 14'ers.

In Colorado I targeted the unavoidable 3rd and 4th class stuff first. After my trip next summer 3rd and 4th class will be an option and I can cruse toward finishing the Colorado 14'ers.

My advice is not to put them off till last. Start on easy 3rd, get training, learn technical climbing, gain experience, make friends, and get'er done..
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..

Postby bjkent76 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 pm

So I find myself in a very similar mind-set and experience level. I have 24 14ers under my belt. I have been slowly trying to push myself with more difficult routes. I solo'd the Kit Carson/Challenge Point combo, solo'd the Columbia/Harvard traverse while staying higher on the ridge (not on it, but higher up), and have done Quandary West Ridge. That said, there are climbs that are "in my head" right now. Little Bear and Maroon Bells in particular seem like too much. My plan is to try and get Crestone and the Needle this summer. This to me, seems like a launching point to the more difficult climbs. My questions are:

1) given what I have done, how big of leap are the Crestone's?
2) are the Crestone's a good launching point toward the more challenging peaks?

I am torn between wanting to finish the 14ers and making sure I come home to my wife and kids.

Postby Col_Forbin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:41 pm

bjkent76 wrote:So I find myself in a very similar mind-set and experience level. I have 24 14ers under my belt. I have been slowly trying to push myself with more difficult routes. I solo'd the Kit Carson/Challenge Point combo, solo'd the Columbia/Harvard traverse while staying higher on the ridge (not on it, but higher up), and have done Quandary West Ridge. That said, there are climbs that are "in my head" right now. Little Bear and Maroon Bells in particular seem like too much. My plan is to try and get Crestone and the Needle this summer. This to me, seems like a launching point to the more difficult climbs. My questions are:

1) given what I have done, how big of leap are the Crestone's?
2) are the Crestone's a good launching point toward the more challenging peaks?

I am torn between wanting to finish the 14ers and making sure I come home to my wife and kids.

I would argue that the Crestone's are a great place to start making the transition to the more difficult peaks, and this is due to their incredible conglomerate.

That being said if you want to partner up and climb the red couloir on the peak let me know!

Postby Michael J » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 pm

As far as the fears go, remember this. When you see pictures of some of the more dangerous sections they can be deceiving. Many times people [myself included] take pictures for dramatic effect. So, the sections may not be near as scary as it looks in the pictures. On the other hand they may be more dangerous than they look. So the only real way to know is to be there. When you are in those places look ahead to the ultimate goal, of course, but then bring your focus back to the next ten feet in front of you. Get past that and then repeat. Many times I have worried about taking too much time but in the long run you'll find that it didn't take as much time as it seems anyway.
On one occasion I was scared to death of climbing the Class 4 section on North Maroon peak. I had heard that you could keep it Class 3 by going around to the right. So I took that route and got into big trouble because there was loose dirt and gravel. It was in early September and a small snowstorm the week before had left it muddy. I could not clear the mud from my boots which made everything very slippery. I was lucky to come out on top. Later when I descended I went down through the Class 4 section and discovered that it was fine and I even liked it. Be respectful of a rating but don't let it intimidate you into doing something that may be more dangerous.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."

Postby bjkent76 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Col_Forbin I'll take you up on that! I was thinking late July-early August. I'll PM you some dates.

Next