Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sushi in Buena Vista??? Indeed!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Sushi in Buena Vista??? Indeed!!

Postby midwestcoast » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Nothing says fresh seafood like 'Continental Divide'.

Postby Dex » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:16 am

speth wrote: But it wasn't much different from the crappy food you would find at any other restaurant in a stripmall in Denver.

I understand - it looks like all the Chinese Restaurants in Georgia use the same menu.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby audiotom » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:01 am

laugh all you want

I thought the same thing and was pleasantly shocked

they have their seafood flown in from specific Denver sources three times a week

the sashimi I had - yellow tail - was fresh
my son's rolls including tuna and salmon were fresh as well

for those less adventuresome the Thai curry was great

just letting you know there is an upscale place in BV
that is a nice surprise if you are up in the mountains for a few days

didn't have to drive to Salida for the usual

Postby Kojones » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 am

I feel the urge to jump in and remind everybody who is skeptical that Denver has a number of great places for sushi (Sushi Den, Kona, Sushi Sasa). Denver is not that much closer to the ocean from a "shipping time" perspective than BV (not to mention, BV is physically closer to the ocean much of the food comes from). I plan to check this place out next time I'm there. There wasn't a 45 minute wait as reported for nothing.

Remember, anywhere you go, you can get really good seafood at a place overlooking the dock where the same fish is brought in, and you can get just as bad seafood. Location isn't everything. I grew up on the east coast - you can trust me on this.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Mountainspirit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 am

Asian Palate is an amazing restaurant that would do very well in EVERY major metropolitan area! I too, would highly recommend a post hike meal there, a post float meal there, a post ski meal there, hell . . . just go eat a meal there first, and then offer your honest opinions. It's very good and reasonably priced!
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison

Postby MonGoose » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 am

I stop at the Asian Palate every time I pass through Buena Vista. The food is awesome, the bar is cool and they have some rather attractive waitresses.

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 am

MonGoose wrote:I stop at the Asian Palate every time I pass through Buena Vista. The food is awesome, the bar is cool and they have some rather attractive waitresses.

Except when you spend an entire hike hyping it up and inspiring the world's strongest craving, and then it's closed...
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby MonGoose » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:09 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
MonGoose wrote:I stop at the Asian Palate every time I pass through Buena Vista. The food is awesome, the bar is cool and they have some rather attractive waitresses.

Except when you spend an entire hike hyping it up and inspiring the world's strongest craving, and then it's closed...

I guess we should also mentioned that they close after lunch (2pm daily) and re-open for dinner at 5pm. So plan accordingly.

Postby HuskyRunner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Sushi Den may have the fish flown in but something still smells fishy: http://kdvr.com/2013/02/21/denvers-top-health-code-violators-revealed/
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby klinger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:15 am

Kojones wrote:I feel the urge to jump in and remind everybody who is skeptical that Denver has a number of great places for sushi (Sushi Den, Kona, Sushi Sasa). Denver is not that much closer to the ocean from a "shipping time" perspective than BV (not to mention, BV is physically closer to the ocean much of the food comes from). I plan to check this place out next time I'm there. There wasn't a 45 minute wait as reported for nothing.

Remember, anywhere you go, you can get really good seafood at a place overlooking the dock where the same fish is brought in, and you can get just as bad seafood. Location isn't everything. I grew up on the east coast - you can trust me on this.

Kojones

qft. Any good sushi place is going to source its fish worldwide, regardless of its physical location. Just like any other business but to a more critical degree in terms of delicate, expensive product, quality sushi is all about the owners committment to what they are doing.

Did you know that "sushi" means "vinegar rice", literally. It doesn't mean "raw fish". Sushi was originally designed to preserve fish in a situation without refrigeration. Now not only do we have refrigerated trucks, we even have airplanes delivering fresh fish directly to us from anywhere.

The real caveat in the situation is being able to wade through all of the average and subpar spots without spending alot of money on disappointing sushi. In my opinion sushi is like tattoos, worth spending extra on the good stuff.

Previous