Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Swamp Fox 14er Finisher!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Swamp Fox 14er Finisher!

Postby cftbq » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Let me be the 13th (or so) to add my congratulations! How long did the journey take you?
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby summitbound » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Congrats. What a feeling to summit that last peak on the list!

Postby bj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Congratz on the hard work!!
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..

Postby Swamp Fox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks to all of you for your congratulations. In reply to CFTBQ, it took me almost exactly 25 years. I did not start out to climb all fourteeners; I just wanted to climb one. The experience was so humbling and inspiring at the same time that I just kept hiking a few more year after year. Only about 8 years ago did I finally decide that I might just be able to summit all of them before I was 60 if I focused on it. When I was down to just El Diente, South Maroon, Little Bear, and Pyramid, I had some doubts. Like many of you, I got weathered off El Diente 3 times and found the Hourglass on LB iced over once. It is a pretty good feeling to finish the 54 named, ranked fourteeners, which is all I ever really set as a goal. I will keep hiking and climbing some, hopefully for another 10 years or more. I guess I could do Conundrum and North Eolus . . . .
When I started in 1988, this site did not exist; the WWW did not exist. I had Borneman's book and later added Roach's book. This site has greatly increased the amount of info, especially about routes and conditions. Bill and all of you should be complimented on making this a very good site.

Postby nyker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 am

Congratulations! Way to persevere and get at them.

Postby cftbq » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Swamp Fox wrote:it took me almost exactly 25 years. I did not start out to climb all fourteeners; I just wanted to climb one. The experience was so humbling and inspiring at the same time that I just kept hiking a few more year after year. Only about 8 years ago did I finally decide that I might just be able to summit all of them before I was 60 if I focused on it. When I was down to just El Diente, South Maroon, Little Bear, and Pyramid, I had some doubts. Like many of you, I got weathered off El Diente 3 times and found the Hourglass on LB iced over once. It is a pretty good feeling to finish the 54 named, ranked fourteeners, which is all I ever really set as a goal. I will keep hiking and climbing some, hopefully for another 10 years or more. I guess I could do Conundrum and North Eolus . . . .

This resonates soooo well! My slog through the 14ers took 36 years (although I actually only climbed in 18 of those years). Like you, I didn't start out thinking I could ever do all of them...I just figured I would do what I could, and pass on the more difficult ones. Interesting that you climbed N. Maroon before Maroon--I (and my devoted partner) deliberately reserved N. Maroon for late in the game. We were fortunate to have a near-perfect weather day for El Diente & Mt. Wilson. Conundrum and N. Eolus are well worth climbing, as, indeed, are most of the other unranked 14k points...
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Previous