Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 am
Location: Westcliffe (sort of)

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby bonehead » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks
ThuChad and Terry
for your input.
Edit:
I just looked up my last email from them,
wrote down my account # on a card
and added it to my wallet.
Last edited by bonehead on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:37 am
Location: WV

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby Smilin Joe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:28 am

Just an FYI: Non-residents can buy the card also. I wasn't sure about that at first, but just bought two.

Thought there may be someone else out there who's unsure.......so, the answer is yes.
Life's a journey, not a destination.....slow down and enjoy the trip!

Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 am

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby Teresa Gergen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 am

I've been buying these for years. If I can't read the expiration date after it's been in my wallet for a while, I've bought a new one just to be sure I have a current one.

Earlier this year I tried searching the web to see if WY and CA have a similar program, and wasn't able to find anything. When my accident happened in WY, my CO card was useless to the SAR team there. Does anyone here know about such a program for those states?

User avatar
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:53 am
Location: Denver

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby B-Dog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am

Teresa Gergen wrote:I've been buying these for years. If I can't read the expiration date after it's been in my wallet for a while, I've bought a new one just to be sure I have a current one.

Earlier this year I tried searching the web to see if WY and CA have a similar program, and wasn't able to find anything. When my accident happened in WY, my CO card was useless to the SAR team there. Does anyone here know about such a program for those states?


Take a gander at AAC:

http://americanalpineclub.org/p/global_rescue

Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 am

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby Teresa Gergen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:22 am

Yes, I'm an AAC member and have the Global Rescue coverage. However, my understanding is that the AAC coverage reimburses you for costs associated with a rescue if you are charged for one, which is not at all the same as trying to make sure the SAR team gets some reimbursement from somewhere for the costs associated with doing a rescue for which they are not charging the subject.

Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby neilsch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Being an old person like me, the Colorado fishing license costs one dollar and that is the COFAR part of the license.

User avatar
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:35 pm
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby schrund » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Anyone ever hear of those folks on Culebra actually charging for a rescue? They were pretty emphatic the year I was there that they would charge for SAR. I am guessing COSAR wouldn't cover that?
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

User avatar
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm
Location: Estes Park < > < > Fort Collins

Re: COSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby unclegar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:04 pm

globreal wrote:
TeamDino5280 wrote:Does it matter if you have the card on you or not at time of rescue? I would assume not?


I don't think it matters. However, what if your family or relatives can't find where you kept it? Why would you not keep it on you? It can't be to save weight is it?


I have a laminated 5-year card and carry it in my side pants pocket when hiking rather than other ID.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby CO Native » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm

schrund wrote:Anyone ever hear of those folks on Culebra actually charging for a rescue? They were pretty emphatic the year I was there that they would charge for SAR. I am guessing COSAR wouldn't cover that?

I have my doubts they are trained for much more than helping get a vehicle unstuck. If they perform a service to rescue you and you signed the agreement that says they can charge you for doing so then you owe that to them, that is unrelated to Search and Rescue. I'd be surprised if the ranch is really ready to take on the liability of performing a rescue. If however a Search and Rescue team comes to your aid on their property they cannot charge for Search and Rescue's services, except for possibly any costs they incur in that situation.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado

Re: COSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby CO Native » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:09 pm

unclegar wrote:
globreal wrote:
TeamDino5280 wrote:Does it matter if you have the card on you or not at time of rescue? I would assume not?


I don't think it matters. However, what if your family or relatives can't find where you kept it? Why would you not keep it on you? It can't be to save weight is it?


I have a laminated 5-year card and carry it in my side pants pocket when hiking rather than other ID.

You do not need to have it on you and even if you are unable to locate the card SAR can look up to see if you have an active one.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

User avatar
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby KentonB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm

CO Native wrote:
schrund wrote:Anyone ever hear of those folks on Culebra actually charging for a rescue? They were pretty emphatic the year I was there that they would charge for SAR. I am guessing COSAR wouldn't cover that?

I have my doubts they are trained for much more than helping get a vehicle unstuck. If they perform a service to rescue you and you signed the agreement that says they can charge you for doing so then you owe that to them, that is unrelated to Search and Rescue. I'd be surprised if the ranch is really ready to take on the liability of performing a rescue. If however a Search and Rescue team comes to your aid on their property they cannot charge for Search and Rescue's services, except for possibly any costs they incur in that situation.

I'm heading up there this weekend and according to the latest documents, the ranch does not perform any rescues themselves, but do require (per the agreement you sign) a "$100 contribution" to SAR if you require their services. There was also a blurb that if you're not down from the mountain by 6 pm they would contact SAR. I believe there was more to it than just that, but I'm at work and don't have the document in front of me. :-)

Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 am

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby bob863 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Anyone can purchase a COSAR card. Please remember, it's NOT an insurance card. It only provides funds to reimburse SAR teams for expenses incurred for any SAR activity...here's a link to the official CO govt web site...

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acv9074, Doug Shaw and 17 guests