Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: COSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby TeamDino5280 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Does it matter if you have the card on you or not at time of rescue? I would assume not?
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby powhound » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Hey Britt,

My wife and I have been sending annual donation checks to El Paso County SAR for the last 15-20 years. I never received or even heard of a COSAR card. If I ever got into trouble and needed to be rescued, do you think that would count for something...in El Paso County or elsewhere in the state?

Hope you are doing ok. Let me know when you want to go climb more of the mighty mountains of Monument. Haha.

Postby globreal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:24 pm

TeamDino5280 wrote:Does it matter if you have the card on you or not at time of rescue? I would assume not?

I don't think it matters. However, what if your family or relatives can't find where you kept it? Why would you not keep it on you? It can't be to save weight is it?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby globreal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:27 pm

powhound wrote:Hey Britt,

My wife and I have been sending annual donation checks to El Paso County SAR for the last 15-20 years. I never received or even heard of a COSAR card. If I ever got into trouble and needed to be rescued, do you think that would count for something...in El Paso County or elsewhere in the state?

Hope you are doing ok. Let me know when you want to go climb more of the mighty mountains of Monument. Haha.

Giving a donation to your local SAR organization (which is a wonderful thing for you to do) is a totally different thing from this COSAR fund. For $3, why wouldn't you also get a COSAR card?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby TeamDino5280 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:27 pm

globreal wrote:
TeamDino5280 wrote:Does it matter if you have the card on you or not at time of rescue? I would assume not?

I don't think it matters. However, what if your family or relatives can't find where you kept it? Why would you not keep it on you? It can't be to save weight is it?

Haha no, I just have trouble finding my car keys sometimes let alone a little card :lol: but point taken there is no reason to not carry it.
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Re: CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby jwinters » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Just picked up my 5-year. Thanks for the reminder!

Postby IkeB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:40 pm

Gonna grab one tonight.

Postby climbingangler04 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:27 pm

globreal wrote:
climbingangler04 wrote:I've read before that if you have a current fishing license that it includes the SAR cost so you do not have to buy both. Anyone know if that is true?

Yes, a fishing license will have you covered. However, why not also get a COSAR card since it's so little money?

Personally, I would rather pay an extra $3/yr and keep the fund solvent than force Sheriff agencies and SAR agencies to have to charge say $28,000 for a rescue!

I have no problem paying the extra $3 for the card, was just curious if it was a "freebie"/add-on with the purchase of a license or if you actually pay for the card. I guess the best thing is to just buy the card then. Thanks for the info.

Postby tenpins » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 pm

globreal wrote:
powhound wrote:Hey Britt,

Giving a donation to your local SAR organization (which is a wonderful thing for you to do) is a totally different thing from this COSAR fund. For $3, why wouldn't you also get a COSAR card?

because it is a more direct way to fund a sar team. With enough donations, a team may not even need to apply for DOLA reimbursement. COSAR is not an insurance card, or a 'my rescue/carry out is free' card. The state gives you a nifty little card, not your local team. The whole point of DOLA is to ensure that the miniscule sar teams we have in this state along with very small and rural counties will not go bankrupt by having to do a large SAR mission. the annual operating budget of epcsar is well over $100K. Yeah. Smaller teams may have an annual budget of like 4,000 bucks. So a large mission may literally bankrupt them. There is also a grant DOLA grant system whereby a team can submit for a grant to buy new rescue equipment and hardware. So by donating directly to a team, you may be helping them directly acquire new gear, leaving DOLA funds for more needy teams.

you are not 'covered' if you have a corsar card or a hunting or fishing license. Your volunteer sar teams in this state have you 'covered'. its what we sign up for. You can feel happy that you are contributing to a social safety net that ensures we can all enjoy the wilderness and not have to worry about whether or not somebody is coming to rescue or aid you.
the persistant misinformation and misperceptions about this topic, on this forum is dumbfounding.

Fine print: ambulances charge transport fees. Helicopters are air ambulances. SAR teams are not. When they hand you over to AMR et al, the meter usually starts running. FDs in their continued quest to pay for their services may charge you. A Sheriff may try and charge you financially if there is fraud, reckless endangerment or negligence is involved.

Postby scalba123 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 pm

I renew my five year card every three years. I figure that it is the least I can do for such an important organization...

Postby bonehead » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 pm

I buy a 5 year card every year.
$3 per year just seems too cheap to me.
Hell, your next beer at the bar
will cost more than that.
I consider it my small donation.

Edit:
After all these years
I have never actually received a physical card.
An on-line purchase puts my name in their system.
Hopefully that is my proof of purchase.

Postby ThuChad » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 pm

bonehead wrote:I buy a 5 year card every year.
$3 per year just seems too cheap to me.
Hell, your next beer at the bar
will cost more than that.
I consider it my small donation.

Edit:
After all these years
I have never actually received a physical card.
An on-line purchase puts my name in their system.
Hopefully that is my proof of purchase.

They send you an email link to print off the card after internet purchase. Just save the PDF and print it off as many times as needed.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

PreviousNext