Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Items that do not fit the categories above.

CORSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby globreal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Dear Climbing Community,

During my recent encounter of experiencing a search & rescue for one of my climbing friends, I have learned quite a bit about the COSAR (Colorado Outdoor Search and Rescue) fund through my conversations with Sheriff & SAR folks. I think every climber should be aware of the following.

Here in Colorado, we currently do NOT have a "pay for rescue" system.

One member of MRA (Mountain Rescue Aspen) emailed me this:
"MRA and most Colorado SAR groups are against 'pay for rescue'. We have recorded missions that were delayed because people in trouble were worried about the cost of saving their own lives, which made our job harder and their successful recovery more dangerous if not more complicated."

Most Americans will agree that the majority of our government programs are over-budget bureaucracies that are inefficient and ineffective however, when it comes to Colorado's CORSAR program, this is a program funded by hunters/fisherman through their licenses, by those licensing back-country vehicles like snowmobiles and ATV's, and by hikers/climbers purchasing CORSAR cards. This is one government program that not over-budget! Every year there are sufficient funds to reimburse search and rescue agencies for their out-of-pocket expenses where the rescued had purchased a hunting/vehicle license or CORSAR card.

This MRA member also told me:

"With our system, the majority of sheriffs in Colorado would rather get reimbursed thru the CORSAR system than try to recoup their expenses by billing the subjects involved."

Many people in our climbing community have stated that the rescuing agencies can recoup their expenses if ANYONE in the climbing party has a card even if the injured does not. Not totally true. In that case, the agency will only be reimbursed a small percentage of their actual submitted expenses.

Therefore, it is up to us as outdoor enthusiasts to do our part to keep the fund solvent each year. The bottom line: EVERY PERSON WHO GOES TO CLIMB MOUNTAINS SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN CORSAR CARD! Please ask your climbing friends if they have a current, non-expired card.

The cost is only $3 for a one year card and $12 for a five year card.

You can get the CORSAR cards at most outdoor gear retailers and at sporting good stores where they sell hunting or fishing license. Or:

https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/orderInstructions.jsf

This is too important to have oversight on. Please do your part.

Thank you for helping our search and rescue operations be there for you!
Britt Jones
Last edited by globreal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Re: COSAR Cards PLEASE READ

Postby Mtnman200 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for posting that. I recommend the 5-year card, not because it's a bit cheaper but because that way you don't have to get a new one each year.
Last edited by Mtnman200 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ThuChad » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Awesome post! Bought one for this year last week. Here's a link.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks, Britt. Very true. Bought a few today. If you're in Denver, you can get these at Bass Pro Shops. In Golden, at Bent Gate.

When a bunch of us were in an accident on Hagerman last year, we had a number of expired cards between us, but I believe no current ones. I still kick myself for not having one that day, since it may have helped finance the incredible job MRA did in getting us down.

Here's a list of where these CHEAP cards can be purchased: https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/vendors.jsf

Postby DArcyS » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks, Britt. I just bought one a couple weeks ago once I learned mine had expired back in April. I bought a fiver-year card. The next time around, I'll probably renew close to my birthday, which will be an easier date to remember for annually checking the validity of my card.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Good call Britt. My old 5y card is out of date and I have been out several times this year. Definitely going to stop by the REI on my way home from work this week and grab a new one.

Quick question, is there a central database that shows rescuers if accident victims have a card? Or is it necessary to keep your COSAR card on your person while you're out in the hills?
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby climbingangler04 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:01 pm

I've read before that if you have a current fishing license that it includes the SAR cost so you do not have to buy both. Anyone know if that is true?

Postby randalmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Great post Britt. Just got my 5yr card online and printed.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Yeh, I just renewed mine on-line recently. Even got it laminated afterward (about $2 at a print shop) as my old one I could hardly read after 5 years in the wallet.
Last edited by Wish I lived in CO on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby jeremy27 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 pm

climbingangler04 wrote:I've read before that if you have a current fishing license that it includes the SAR cost so you do not have to buy both. Anyone know if that is true?

Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

Source:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523

Postby TeamDino5280 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks for posting this Britt and thanks for the Link ThuChad. I have been meaning to get one for a while but have been lazy. I just bought a COSAR card for both my wife and I.
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby globreal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm

climbingangler04 wrote:I've read before that if you have a current fishing license that it includes the SAR cost so you do not have to buy both. Anyone know if that is true?

Yes, a fishing license will have you covered. However, why not also get a CORSAR card since it's so little money?

Personally, I would rather pay an extra $3/yr and keep the fund solvent than force Sheriff agencies and SAR agencies to have to charge say $28,000 for a rescue!
Last edited by globreal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Next