Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What is your greatest fear when hiking?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

What is your greatest fear when hiking?

Falls
37%
Lightning
26%
Avalanches
5%
Rockfall
17%
Ski/Snowboard Accidents
No votes
Glissading Accidents
No votes
Climbing Equipment Failure/Error
0%
Getting Lost
1%
Getting Stuck/Stranded
2%
Other Medical Emergencies
5%
Other
7%

Total votes : 211

Re: What is your greatest fear when hiking?

Postby jdorje » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:39 am

Sharknado in the Rockies? Not likely. A marmotnado might be even more terrifying however.

Postby myfeetrock » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:50 am

BOWLING WITH GOATS!!! I picked falling when I voted but will have to add rock fall after Thursdays climb of Pyramid. It seems the goats didn't want us up there, so they started a started a round of bowling. We were the pins. Thankfully they were all gutter balls. I've never had to duck so much. Freaky!!!
Michael Colson

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Last year I watched a goat knock over a cairn on Pyramid. They're definitely doing this on purpose.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby summitstep » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:10 am

Standing on a summit by a toaster when it gets hit by lightning. :-"
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby Lemmiwinks » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 am

OmahaAdam wrote:Was up at Crystal Lake/Crystal Peak this week with my oldest daughter and was awakened by a mountain lion investigating inside our vestibule overnight. The tracks (two sets) I found the next morning were not small, either. :shock:

FCSquid wrote:An "event" above 13,000 feet after a night of beer and Taco Bell.

Wildlife encounters don't really cross my mind much because they are so rare, but this would cause me to have an "event" in my tent.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby waterlogged31 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:36 am

Barking Spiders

Postby Tony1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 am

Moa attacks.

Postby DeTour » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:00 am

Seriously, I'm surprised rockfall doesn't rate higher on this list. The more I climb, the more I'm aware of that as the least predictable hazard in the mountains. I think many of the tragedies we've read about in recent years bear that out.

I feel like falling from stable rock is under my control, and I can exercise caution to not put myself in a situation beyond my ability. But failing to test a hold, or not recognizing rock ready to slide, is something that could catch you by surprise if you let your guard down for even a moment. Awareness and experience can help a climber steer away from unstable rock in many cases, but it's unavoidable on some routes. When I think of the scariest 14ers I know, it's all due to rockfall hazard: Little Bear, Mt. Wilson - El Diente, Snowmass, Pyramid, Bells. (Not sure about Capitol, haven't really come to grips with that mountain.)

Maybe voters are categorizing a fall caused by rock giving way as "falling." I would lump that under "rockfall" as the root cause. Same with getting engulfed in a rockslide. Both have taken lives of well-known members of this community in recent years.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:14 am

Scree and rockfall.
Not knife edges, not difficult faces to scale, scree, or those steep loose rock fields with rocks between scree and talus where it's not solid enough to stand on, and not small enough to slide down, but the perfect size to break and ankle or send a slope of toaster size boulders at me.

I'd go back and forth on capitol's knife edge a dozen times before I'd decent south maroon or challenger.

Previous