Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Postby newbie08 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:28 am

This is perfect. I was looking for hikes to do with my non-peak hiking friends! Congratulations Susan!

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:37 am

Awww... you guys are too kind. Thanks for buying my book! And if you come across any waterfalls that you would like to see included in the next edition, please let me know... I'm already starting a list :-)

fahixson wrote:Got my copy today (had to wait a few extra days as Tattered Cover Colfax was sold out).

Susan, any stroller friendly waterfall recommendations? With two boys under two and a rehabbing Achilles, we're hopeful waterfall hikes might replace summits in the short term. The youngest isn't quite ready to ride in a backpack yet, so we'd need a stroller to make it a family affair. It is all wheel drive and has good clearance!

Hi there,

Yup, there are plenty of stroller friendly waterfalls in Colorado.

Pages 13-24 include a "Trail Finder" which is basically a grid listing all the waterfalls and their difficulty, from Drive-Up (you can see the waterfall from your car) to Very Strenuous (up to 16 miles and 6,000 feet of elevation). You can also get a stroller or a wheelchair to some of the "Very Easy" ones. If you don't mind carrying the little guy a bit, there are more options, like Boulder Falls.

Here are the drive-ups and stroller-friendly:

Rocky Mountain National Park: Horseshoe Falls - you can see it from the road, or do the short hike on a paved trail; Chasm Falls - they were rebuilding the trail and adding a platform the last time I was there, and that should be done by now, but you may want to call ahead.

Idaho Springs: Bridal Veil Falls - visible from I-70 or park and do the short hike on a paved trail.

Tarryall: "Tarryall Falls" - drive-up, as the short hike is not stroller-friendly

Colorado Springs: Helen Hunt Falls (drive-up), Seven Falls (paved road) - both of these have hiking options as well

Nathrop: Cascade Falls - roadside

Pagosa Springs: Treasure Falls - roadside or hike options, and I did see a family up there with a stroller!

Creede: North Clear Creek Falls - drive-up

Ouray: Bear Creek Falls, "Ralston Creek Falls" - roadside; Lower Cascade Falls - short hike; and if you drive up Camp Bird Road, you'll pass by 10 waterfalls, from Box Canyon Falls to "Upper Twin Falls," that are visible from the road or a *very* short walk

Telluride: Bridal Veil Falls, Ingram Falls - roadside or hike options

Rifle: Rifle Falls - stroller-friendly with other hiking options

Steamboat Springs: Fish Creek Falls - short, stroller-friendly hike with longer options

Poudre Canyon: Poudre Falls - roadside

For a family outing, I would highly recommend packing up a lunch and spending the day at Rifle Falls State Park or at Fish Creek Falls Recreation Area. The falls there are stunning, and they have picnic tables, too. Once you get the littlest kiddo into a pack, you'll have many more options!

-Susan

Postby ClimbStewart » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm

I just read a review of Susan's new book Hiking Waterfalls in Colorado on Amazon and came across the first review of her book. It is fricking unbelievable how narcissistic egotistical and maybe just plain stupid some people are. They were actually thinking that their name was going to be splashed across the book somehow? Like it was about them?

Read the review at http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Waterfalls-Colorado-States-Waterfall/dp/0762780797/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375477937&sr=8-1&keywords=hiking+colorado+waterfalls I also pasted the idiotic review and Susan's very reasonable response below. If I was her I might not have been so nice... If you bought her book, perhaps go onto Amazon and write an actual factual review instead of wetting your panties...

The REVIEW
0 of 3 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars
Nice try, Susan, July 31, 2013
By A Backpacker Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: Hiking Waterfalls in Colorado: A Guide to the State's Best Waterfall Hikes (State Hiking Guides Series) (Paperback)

Overall, the book is great quality and has nice pictures, data, etc.

However, not only will I be returning it, but I will also be explaining why Susan Joy Paul will never receive one cent of my money again....

Last year (5/12) my girlfriend and I were returning from 4 Mile Loop (Pagosa Springs / Weminuche Wilderness) when we met Susan. We started talking with her and she seemed like an overall nice lady. Then Susan proceeds to tell us that she "always" adds the people that she meets on her hikes in the book she is writing. She took down our names and told us that the book would be released around the same time next year and would be called, "Hiking Waterfalls in Colorado". So we gave her our information, and left.

A year later, sure enough, I bought this book, not only because Susan said we would be featured in the book, but also because she was an overall nice lady. Now I have come to find that myself, my girlfriend, nor anyone else is mentioned in the book. What a great ploy to sell books!

I know I sound bitter, and as I am typing this, I feel the whole matter is fairly trivial. I just cant give her my money....

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink

Susan Joy Paul says:

Thanks for buying my book, and I'm very sorry to hear that you'll be returning it. Whenever I have a conversation on the trail, I do write down the names of the people whose company I am enjoying, and then make a point of including them in the Acknowledgments section. They are not "featured" in the book, as I write guide books, which are quite different than my blogs, tweets, or Facebook pages, where personal anecdotes might more appropriately be included. I was quite sure that I had included your names, but I would have to go back through my hundreds of pages of handwritten notes - and then compare them with the many names in the Acknowledgments page - to be sure. Also, I don't do this as a "ploy" to sell books, but rather as a courtesy to the many kind folks I meet on the trail. By the way, that particular hike was one of my favorites in the whole book... the waterfalls, wildflowers, and gorgeous mountain views along that trail are spectacular! -Susan Joy Paul

EDIT: I was able to locate my notes from that day, and your name appears in the first paragraph of the Acknowledgments. In fact, your girlfriend's name is the first one listed on that page :-)

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Wow! :shock:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby benners » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Really, really stupid post by this a**clown. These reviews are really important for an author/book sales, especially on a site like Amazon. Just posted a positive 5 star review, hoping others will follow along and do the same!

Postby screeman57 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Wow, what a jerk. It shouldn't, but it still amazes me the kind of poor behavior that the anonymity and unaccountability of the internet allows/encourages.

Looking forward to buying and reading your book soon, Susan!
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Mindy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:13 pm

***** Review

Done.
Last edited by Mindy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Ha! Stewart, you rabble rouser.

Yeah... nearly spit out my coffee over that this morning. Ah well - they can't all be happy customers. I know you shouldn't repond to your critics on the internet, and if he was simply voicing an opinion and genuinely didn't like my book, I'd be OK with that. But he was definitely mistaken. I keep all of my trail notes, from each of my books, for no particular reason. Now I'm glad that I do!

Thanks for the kind reviews, guys! I'm putting your names in my next book (and you better not start a flame war over it :-D )

-Susan

Postby screeman57 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 am

Picked one up in FoCo yesterday. I'm really looking forward to doing some of these hikes!
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby MountainHiker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Susan,

I just added a review. I went for a bit of humor :lol:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Moraine14 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 pm

susanjoypaul wrote: Yeah... nearly spit out my coffee over that this morning.

So did I. That review was so lame on so many levels, I thought it had to be a joke. Narcissism at its finest.

I picked up a copy of the book about a week ago because...I like to hike and wanted another good guidebook :o Nice work, Susan, I'm enjoying perusing the book for some new hikes!

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks again, guys - Jim, Tory, Ian, Jared, Mindy, Ben, Screeman57, and Moraine14 - especially for the nice comments/reviews!

Ian, nearly spit out my coffee again over yours - funny stuff! And it was so nice to finally meet you, Dorthe and Jennifer last week. Not the best of circumstances, but it was good to be amongst such good people, at such a sad event.

You all are so inspirational... will have to start following your trip reports here again, and adding my own "reviews."

PreviousNext