Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm

"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Re: Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Postby KentonB » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 pm

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy! I often went "hunting" for waterfalls in Michigan a couple decades ago when I lived there. I haven't done much exploring of waterfalls in Colorado (beyond the few I pass on my way to summits). Should be fun! :-)

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:36 am

Aww... thanks guys. I had a lot of fun researching and writing this book last year, even if it did mean giving up peak-bagging for a full twelve months!

This time of year, and especially with the late spring snow, is the *best* time for waterfalls. There should be a lot of water running now, and the southwest part of the state - Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, and Pagosa Springs - has some of the best falls, for sure. Rocky Mountain National Park is another great location for waterfalls, but there are plenty to be found all over Colorado.

Have a fun 4th, all, with lots of peaks, hot springs, and waterfalls. What a great state!

Postby Alby426 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:51 am

Got to get that one too. Susan is a wonderful person and, I really like her books: discover Colorado via a different Goal.
Waterfalls, yeah!
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 am

Alby426 wrote:Got to get that one too. Susan is a wonderful person and, I really like her books: discover Colorado via a different Goal.
Waterfalls, yeah!

Thanks Alby! By the way, it was a lot of fun meeting you and your family on Loveland Pass a few months ago, and my honor to accompany you and your daughter on her first summit: Mount Sniktau, a 13er, in calendar winter no less! She was amazing, and adorable, too.

And Kenton, I had a blast finishing my Teller county peaks a few weeks ago with you and the guys on "McReynolds Peak." That was one tough 12er! I hope to join you again soon, when I finish my El Paso county peaks on that little Sixer out on Fort Carson.

And thanks for *not* posting any pics of me writhing around on the McReynolds summit, trying to free my knot from the crack, and the friction-locked rope from the gear. I left a lot of blood up there... sorry about that. Here's a pic of you starting up the off-width - wish I had a better one, but I was pre-occupied, licking my wounds at the base.

I know, I know, this isn't Facebook... sorry guys - back to the 14ers :-D
Attachments
McReynolds Peak - Kenton.jpg
McReynolds Peak - Kenton.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

Postby zdero1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:25 am

Finally, an author who doesn't pop on the site solely to promote a book. :)
I wish you much success, Susan!

Postby boudreaux » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:45 am

My favorite waterfall is on Booth Creek up in Vail. Every trip in there always resulted in a long stop at the falls to watch and look for Red Lantern Columbines! Hope your book does well!
Ragin Cajun

Postby Oman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 am

Go Susan! I'm headed to Tattered Cover today.

Postby Doctor No » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

Congrats, Susan! Looking forward to getting this one - my wife's not as big on the fourteeners as I am, but we both love a good waterfall hike.

Postby Mindy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 pm

=D>

Looking forward to it.

Postby KentonB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:And thanks for *not* posting any pics of me writhing around on the McReynolds summit, trying to free my knot from the crack, and the friction-locked rope from the gear. I left a lot of blood up there... sorry about that.

HA! I thought that was my blood! I know I got at least a little of my own on the summit log at least! :-) If nothing else, your ascent made me EXTRA careful at the top in making sure the rope didn't get caught in the gear! I'd love to see more of your pics from that climb... when you're free (i.e., in the next year or two), I'd love to get an e-mail or dropbox with them!

And now I think I'll go find some waterfalls!

Postby benners » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Awesome Susan! Looking forward to picking up a copy as soon as I can. The wife and I will be using your hot springs book extensively over the 4th, and we just might hike to a waterfall or two as well. Thanks for all of the hard work and dedication you've put into your books!

Cheers :-D

Next