Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wildflowers 2013

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Wildflowers 2013

Postby planet54 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:00 pm

For people that are new to this topic.
http://wildflowersofcolorado.com/
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:00 pm

goingup wrote:
rsz_dsc_0265.jpg

I thought it was a yellow pond lilly because it was near water but the leaves don't quite match up... so unknown unless someone can identify it. I believe it is pollinated by a species of fly.

Heartleaf arnica, Arnica cordifolia.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby JoniBologna » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:08 pm

I thought they were mule's ear daisies, but you seem to be more knowledgeable about it that I. How can you tell the difference?
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Steve Gio wrote:So Cheaton, are you going to reveal where this amazing picture was taken? Hopefully this weekend will produce some nice shots through the community. But above all enjoy and be safe everyone. Too much bad juju on the air.

"God Spilled the Paint", but not in Colorado. [-X Not even from this year. 2005, California, Carizzo Plains National Monument.

http://www.keesphotos.com/Flowers/Wildflowers/1680669_B7VLRw#!i=1161508037&k=8MgXBMw
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby JEyez » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:51 pm

MUni Rider wrote:
Steve Gio wrote:So Cheaton, are you going to reveal where this amazing picture was taken? Hopefully this weekend will produce some nice shots through the community. But above all enjoy and be safe everyone. Too much bad juju on the air.

"God Spilled the Paint", but not in Colorado. [-X Not even from this year. 2005, California, Carizzo Plains National Monument.

http://www.keesphotos.com/Flowers/Wildflowers/1680669_B7VLRw#!i=1161508037&k=8MgXBMw

He already acknowledged and credited the source on page 1.
"Damn right I like the life I live, 'cause I went from negative to positive." - The Black Frank White

"There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk." - Jean-Paul Sartre

http://www.hedrickdata.com/livinthedream

Jeremy Isenhart

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:58 pm

wheresgibbs wrote:@ajkagy -- think high alpines will be out in couple weeks? Heading to CB July 26-29, hoping to catch some color.

yea, I was up near the top of 401 this past weekend (11,300ft or so) and there were hardly any flowers, but the flowers are going crazy at the lower elevations near town. I would guess in another week or two they'll be out up higher. You should have plenty of color in late July.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:12 pm

JoniBologna wrote:

I thought they were mule's ear daisies, but you seem to be more knowledgeable about it that I. How can you tell the difference?

Mule's ear daisies are mostly on the west coast and on the western slope. Something that can easily be mistaken for a mule's ear daisy is the arrowleaf balsamroot, Balsamorhiza sagittata. It has long, strap-like leaves and yellow daisy-like flowers. I've seen it growing in open areas up to and slightly above treeline on Guanella Pass and Independence Pass. Here's a link to a good native plant site:

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Yellow%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/balsamorhiza.htm

The heartleaf arnica is much smaller, and has heart-shaped leaves with toothed margins. It grows in dappled light under pines or aspens anywhere in the Front Range, from the foothills on up to higher altitudes. I recall photographing it on Quandary Peak's standard route, down in the trees. Here's a link to the Arnica cordifolia page on the same site:

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Yellow%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/arnica%20cordifolia.htm
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby planet54 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:29 pm

phpFmCbbpPM[1].jpg
phpFmCbbpPM[1].jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 293 times

Wooly Lousewort Arctic National Wildlife Refuge June 2013
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby JoniBologna » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Greenhouseguy wrote:
JoniBologna wrote:

Mule's ear daisies are mostly on the west coast and on the western slope. Something that can easily be mistaken for a mule's ear daisy is the arrowleaf balsamroot, Balsamorhiza sagittata. It has long, strap-like leaves and yellow daisy-like flowers. I've seen it growing in open areas up to and slightly above treeline on Guanella Pass and Independence Pass. Here's a link to a good native plant site:

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Yellow%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/balsamorhiza.htm

The heartleaf arnica is much smaller, and has heart-shaped leaves with toothed margins. It grows in dappled light under pines or aspens anywhere in the Front Range, from the foothills on up to higher altitudes. I recall photographing it on Quandary Peak's standard route, down in the trees. Here's a link to the Arnica cordifolia page on the same site:

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Yellow%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/arnica%20cordifolia.htm

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification!
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir

Postby MountainDawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Summer 2013 003.JPG
Summer 2013 003.JPG (94.33 KiB) Viewed 225 times

Postby pw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I was wondering where this topic was. I was up W. Brush Creek Road today and the flowers were going absolutely bonkers. Here is a poor effort (shaky hand or flowers, not sure which), but it shows how many flower were blooming on along the trail.

1-teocali wildflowers 2.JPG
1-teocali wildflowers 2.JPG (210.67 KiB) Viewed 199 times

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 am

Can someone please help me identify this flower? I've been trying to figure out what it is but I'm not having any luck. It was growing next to a little stream on the trail up to Mount Parnassus. Arapaho National Forest.
Attachments
MysteryFlower.JPG
MysteryFlower.JPG (143.02 KiB) Viewed 144 times
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

PreviousNext