Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fancy Pass & Fall Creek Pass

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Fancy Pass & Fall Creek Pass

Postby Ron McFarland » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

We are considering a llama trip up Cross Creek and down to Fall Creek in the Holy Cross Wilderness in 3 weeks and would like to know snow status on both passes. Generally expect passes to be clear for llamas by then and just looking for current conditions as of this weekend that might help with our planning.

Thanks

Re: Fancy Pass & Fall Creek Pass

Postby Boggy B » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:47 pm

As of last weekend there was quite a bit more snow at that level than most other places in CO. Missouri Lakes were surrounded by snowfields 3-5' deep. I imagine in 3 weeks it will all be gone. Maybe wet. Hope this helps (llamas seem like pretty capable 4x4 vehicles).

Postby Ron McFarland » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks for the update - yes - llamas can be like a reliable 4x4 - just no winch.

Postby Fleischco » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 am

Ron-
We did the Missouri Lakes - Mo Pass - Fancy Pass loop as a 2-day backpacking trip and we glissaded down Fancy Pass at the end of July in 2011. I think that area (Fancy Pass in particular) may have snow year round. But I cannot remember if the winter of 2010/11 was a good snow year or not.

Postby Ron McFarland » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks for the updates, best I can tell from here and other sources these passes are clearing as normal. If anyone has update news that is appreciated.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Fancy holds snow later than Missouri, if you are coming up Cross Creek and looking to descend one of these passes, so using Missouri you are more likely to find it dry. Missouri is also lower in elevation, and little less rocky than Fancy, but the trail back out to Fall Creek is a little longer on Missouri. Missouri is more popular as well. There are tradeoffs to either, but if dry is your primary concern, Missouri is a better bet in my opinion.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Ron McFarland » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks again. Plan is exit via Fall Creek and would hate to get to last pass and retreat back to Holy Cross City. Would be on Fall Creek & Fancy 12 - 13 days from today.

Postby AlabamaTLC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 pm

I hiked up to Fancy Lake and Pass this past Saturday. Yes, the last 150-175 feet up to the pass had snow, but it was easy to go up. Lots of previous tracks/steps to use. I had no traction and had no problems with hiking boots and poles in going up the snow slope. Coming down from the pass, I used the regular trail off to the side of the snow, which was snow free except for at the very bottom. Lots of people were going up and down this section with no problems, to include families with children. No where near the snow shown in the video above from July of 2011. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of this particular stretch. I only went as far as Fancy Pass on Saturday before turning around due to weather concerns.

Postby mrburns » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I hiked to Fall Creek Pass on Monday, not really any snow to speak of, a couple of very small patches. No need for any traction or other snow gear, tons of Mosquitos though, def being some DEET!
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson