Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CALL!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CAL

Postby mikemalick » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:17 am

wildlobo71 wrote:Mike (Zdero1); Matt (Speth); (John) JohnP_FTC; Abe (FireontheMountain); Mike (Bean); Ben (benfromtheeast - should be truncated to BEAST); Karthik (theotherindian). Mike (mikemalick) - I don't recall meeting you, but glad you posted the pic.

My pleasure. Were only the relay folks wearing the shirts? I guess that is what I thought. However, if anyone could have gotten one to run in, guess I screwed up! I enjoyed the race and already told my wife I'd like to give the heavy half another go next year so if there is a group that decides to do this again, let me know.

Btw, while refueling at aid station "B" on the descent, I think it was you that came running in to a waiting group and one of them stating you were looking quite dapper! How does one run something like the heavy half while looking dapper???? :-) I was personally going for a more "ill" look. You'll have to share your secret.

Great and memorable run and remembrance everyone.

-Mike

Postby wildlobo71 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:24 am

mikemalick wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:Mike (Zdero1); Matt (Speth); (John) JohnP_FTC; Abe (FireontheMountain); Mike (Bean); Ben (benfromtheeast - should be truncated to BEAST); Karthik (theotherindian). Mike (mikemalick) - I don't recall meeting you, but glad you posted the pic.

My pleasure. Were only the relay folks wearing the shirts? I guess that is what I thought. However, if anyone could have gotten one to run in, guess I screwed up! I enjoyed the race and already told my wife I'd like to give the heavy half another go next year so if there is a group that decides to do this again, let me know.

Btw, while refueling at aid station "B" on the descent, I think it was you that came running in to a waiting group and one of them stating you were looking quite dapper! How does one run something like the heavy half while looking dapper???? :-) I was personally going for a more "ill" look. You'll have to share your secret.

Great and memorable run and remembrance everyone.

-Mike

Quite possibly looking dapper because I personally only ran, at that point, about 1.5 of the 4 miles above the Aid Station.

The relay team wore pink bibs; some of us had on the Jansen tee-shirts, some didn't. More of us did as we crossed the finish.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby jeffCC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:58 am

I haven't been on 14ers.com much lately, but last year I remember reading some of Rob's TRs and saw that he was going to run Leadville. I ran the Heavy Half that year, and thought of trying to meet him in person, but didn't.

This year I ran the full Marathon. In preparing I read an excellent RR, and only afterwards realized it was his.

I heard the announcement at the starting line about this relay, but didn't quite grasp the details - just something to commemorate Rob.

I ran the full and finished well over 6 1/2 hours. After pounding some fluids at the finish line I saw a group of people wearing shirts w/ Rob's picture. I went over to talk and it turned out to be Rob's parents and family. I was struck by what nice, gracious, interesting people they were. I think they really, really appreciated all the love and support that Rob's friends showed him yesterday.

Thanks to you guys for putting it all together.

Postby kushrocks » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:23 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Bean wrote:2) Seeing you all cross the finish line together, especially so close to Rob's finishing time, brought tears.

Seeing Rob's dad cross the finish line and everyone hugging was more than I could handle. Definitely a very emotional finish line but was happy to be there for sure.

Awesome to see so many supporters for Rob out there today, great job to everyone! You know Rob would of loved to see us all out there...

Yep it was amazing to watch. I took this video that captures the looks on both parents faces when they cross the finish line. Brought me to tears.

P.S. Sorry its a little shaky until they cross the finish line and also sorry for the scream of "Oh Yea" in the video. I was pretty pumped up to watch them all cross.

" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby dillonsarnelli » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Amazing day indeed and a BIG Congrats to all the runners!

Thanks for looking out Rob. Miss you buddy.

Leadville Finish Line.JPG
Leadville Finish Line.JPG (195.72 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Peggy doing her best Robism....JPG
Peggy doing her best Robism....JPG (241.47 KiB) Viewed 401 times

parting shot....jpg
parting shot....jpg (213.41 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:39 am

It as nice to see the whole group crossing the finish line. Nice meeting all of you. Thanks for putting this together Bill.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby SummitKathy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Congratulations to all who ran for Rob this past weekend. What an incredible tribute. I was so sad to not be able to join in (being that I'm currently 35wk pregnant). I plan to be there next year! Way to go!
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

This weekend was an awesome experience. Thanks to Ben and Bill for making everything happen, and thanks to the Jansens for being the incredible people they are. Looking forward to running the marathon next year!

Postby MonGoose » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 am

It was an incredible weekend in Leadville. I want to personally thank Bill for all of the hard work he put into making the relay happen and thanks to all of the people who came out to run the race.

Here are my photos from the Leadville marathon, please take a moment to check them out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasgianoutsos/sets/72157634448451538/

Postby DurangoJenn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 am

Congrats to all of you! Such wonderful, moving photos and video of amazing tribute to an amazing young man. TFS.

Postby USAKeller » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 am

anna wrote:Congratulations to the entire team. What a great way to celebrate Rob's life and a moving tribute. =D>

+1. That's so awesome - all of you!
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Previous