Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CALL!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Leadville Heavy Half - Rob Jansen Memorial Team ROLL CAL

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Anyone up to run Grays and Torreys from I-70 tomorrow or Sunday? Rob and I both ran some 14ers the week before last years race :(
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 am

So, what's the word? We have any details sorted out? Thank you, Bill for throwing this all together

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 am

Anyone interesting in helping out but not running shoot me a PM. I have a pretty cool idea that I think his family would really appreciate.

Postby colokeith » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 am

Good luck guys! If I was in town I would love to join in on this!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 am

The word is RUN... with extreme sympathy for those of us who do not run.

As of this morning we have 10 runners!
Wildlobo71
Kara
Thevagabond
Ameristrat
Lemurtech
Fletch
Forbins Mtn
additionally 3 friends of Rob coming in from back east.

We are running the half marathon route. Because there are 10 of us, at least (may have up to two more sign up late,) we can have multiple people per leg of the race. I am looking at keeping this to two teams of 5 or 6; one team will be responsible for the lower half, and the other team the upper half. Each team will split into equal segments - 2 or more, and get to your positions. The 5 who run the upper (I say 5 because it's the max my Jeep can comfortably carry - 6 would work if someone sat in the very back) will get in my Jeep and drive up to (looking at the map) the road that intersects the Half-Marathon course between Aid Stations A 1/2 and B.

To make equal legs of about a 6K run each, I propose the following locations for relay points:

Group A - Start of race to the Adelaide Town Site (approx. 1.9 miles)
Group B - Adelaide Town Site to Intersection of Evans Gulch Road (where I am parking my Jeep) (approx. 2.1 miles)
Group C - Intersection to approx. 12,000' elevation, about 3/10 mile short of first switchback (approx. 2 miles)
Group D - 12,000' elevation point to Summit of Mosquito Pass (approx. 1.7 miles)
Group D - Return to Group C at 12,000' elevation, then get down to Jeep.
Group C - Return to Group B at Jeep, wait for Group D and then all return to town.
Group B - Return to Group A at Adelaide Town Site.
Group A - Get to intersection of where Full and Half merge and wait for ALL teams; C and D will drive into town and get as close as they can, then make their way to this location.

All groups cross finish together.

Since I will be volunteering my Jeep, I will be in either group C or D.

I would highly suggest people get their packets the night before; otherwise very first thing in the morning on Saturday. I suggest we meet as a team a block north of the race start (6th and Harrison) by 7am; I believe I should be able to take Group B up to their drop off spot, then get back and pick up teams C and D and head up the road to our location.

We, as a team, will be wearing pink bibs - to segregate ourselves from the rest of the runners. I was told by the organizers of the race that course folks will be aware we are out there doing this.

Anything else I haven't thought of? I am posting this on FB, as well.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Here is a route map:

Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby kara » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Dunno why, but I'd kind of like to top out on Mosquito Pass, so if there aren't any objections I volunteer for Group D.

I'm still very interested in carpooling. I'd be coming from Boulder and c/would pick up anyone along the way or am willing to meet up anywhere along the way. I know it would be a VERY early Saturday morning start, or I could be talked into heading up Friday night. I would, however, definitely prefer to come back (however late it might be) on Saturday night. My preference is to ride instead of drive, and I'm good for gas money, breakfast, and I promise to stay awake to help whoever's driving also stay awake!

Hit me up here or on the Book of Faces.
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm

way to be, kara! taking one for the team. i sure as hell "not it" on that leg

keep the details posted as they come together. should be a great race!

edit: so if each group has two people, then are they splitting that leg up? or running it together side by side?

Postby ameristrat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm pretty sure we're running side by side. Teamwork!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:26 pm

The first group that gets summit consideration is the outta-towners - Sarah Dalia, John Monopoli and Kim Powell - they are coming the furthest and have never, I assume, been that elevated. I asked them, Sarah said she liked the idea.

I assume if you are Group C you could run up to the summit too... I won't stop you. I don't thing I have that endurance, so I might volunteer to run the B leg, so I can be back at the Jeep waiting for C and D to return.

I will work on the groups tomorrow.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:03 am

I'm just joking around - I'll run anywhere. It's just for good fun.

Postby lemurtech » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm open to any section someone doesn't want - with the caveat that I've only been running down here at 6400' so I have no idea how I will work at 13'K, honestly I will likely end up walking some of it but I'll give it my best.

I anyone camping the night before? I'll be leaving south Denver area on Friday after work, around 4:30ish and driving straight up there and will be heading back on Saturday afternoon I would assume.

PreviousNext