Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sweet Campsites

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Sweet Campsites

Postby BOCO9 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have two lowlanders coming into town in August and I want to take them up an easier 14er in the Mosquito or North Sawatch ranges. What I need your help with is a sweet campsite area. So let me describe sweet campsite...... The upper or lower lakes next to Crestone Needle and Peak, or Snowmass Mountain Lake, or the area just down from the notch on Longs. I would like it to be memorable and at the same time be a new 14er for me too. Any assistance y'all can provide would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott
Last edited by BOCO9 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sweet Campsites

Postby Stephen Butler » Mon May 20, 2013 1:58 pm

As far as the Mosquito range goes, I thought the Kite Lake TH was pretty. I doubt it measures up to the ones you listed but it does give you access to Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross (closed by owner). There may be a decent amount of campers there at that time of year though.

I have only been to Elbert in the Sawatch so I can't speak for that range.

Postby Cruiser » Mon May 20, 2013 2:11 pm

The dispersed camping around the Horn Fork Basin below Mt. Harvard is pretty darn scenic. So is the area around Cross Creek in the Holy Cross Wilderness. Maybe one of those would suit you. The views aren't as expansive as the Boulderfield, but they're beautiful spots anyway. The hikes from camp to both Harvard and Holy Cross aren't particularly difficult either. Lily Lake below Mt. Lindsey could be another solid choice although the hike up to Lindsey is a little more spicy than Harvard or Holy Cross.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon May 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Second the Horn Fork recommendation, assuming you want to backpack. Look in the woods on the right side of the trail just before the fork to Columbia - flat ground, good trees, lots of space.

The Halfmoon Creek road to the Elbert and Massive trailheads has lots of good car camp sites. It's pretty busy, though.

There's also good car camping along the Clear Creek road that leads to the trailheads for Belford (Missouri Gulch) or Huron (just beyond Winfield).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby huffy13 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 am

I would recommend Winfield for a hike of Huron, LaPlata or even Oxford/Belford or Missouri. It's not hard to get to, has a great water supply from Clear Creek, I've never seen it crowded. The mountains surrounding the campground are awesome and there are some old cabins and other structures from the old mine town that are cool to check out. It also has vault toilet facilities, which are really convenient.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Ace » Wed May 22, 2013 7:02 am

My favorite place in the world is Lake Como. It's hell to get to, but you have access to two relatively easy peaks, awesome views, and I've never been there and not seen wildlife.