Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sleeping on the Summits II: The SEQUEL

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Sleeping on the Summits II: The SEQUEL

Postby Winter8000m » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 pm

zdero1 wrote:Whatever you do, don't publish any more pictures of unconscious, bloody climbers (while they are still in the hospital with unknown prognosis, without their consent, and on a public forum) as a publicity stunt like you did on Snowmass last year. You are an egomaniac and your actions on Snowmass were appalling. I'm not saying this about the actual assistance provided to the climber, but rather the photos and posts.

I would never give you one cent of my money, and I encourage others to do the same.

Well said. It's great what you did for Jeff. It really is! He is a great guy. Whether you meant it or not, it came off egotistical in an otherwise very serious situation. The time to sell your book is not in those type of situations. Whether you want to sleep on the summits or walk backwards to every summit, so be it. I'm not the one to judge. At least your going outside. But at least be humble.

Reminds me of the story of Kennedy and Dawson on a winter summit bivy on Capitol Peak after climbing the NF. Or others catching sleep on the summit of Longs Peak after doing the Diamond in the winter.

It's usually the quiet ones you meet that tell you a tail of them and some close friends going to climb Masherbrum, or the NF of the Eiger. But don't think that since you did Everest and slept on the summit on the 14'ers that your better then everyone else. That would be the worst way to promote the book. I don't know your motives but by your posts, it can get a big overwhelming for the reader. Once again be humble, go light, and push yourself.

I hate to bash on someone, but sometimes it's needs to be said before the ego catches up to you. Mountains aren't a good place to have it, as I'm sure you know.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby Steve Climber » Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 pm

zdero1 wrote:
Dr_Jon wrote:Hello Everyone, I'M BACK!

Edit: Ah...youtube video upload fail...I'll post the URL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

=D> =D> =D> Well done, sir...even with the failed upload =D> =D> =D>
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby klinger » Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 am

Damn I have to start writing now? My list isn't really about summits though. It seems my guts have knowledge of critical distance from treeline - as in "you ain't gonna make it buddy".

working title:...

"Crapping without shelter, DYBM"

by Cpl. Klinger

open to suggestions.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue May 21, 2013 7:26 am

I propose a one-day moratorium on unkind thoughts and words against Dr. Jon - and everyone else, deserved or not - in honor of the victims of the Oklahoma tornado. I'm not defending or attacking anyone, just trying to focus all this energy in a more positive direction.

So for today, let's all be nice to each other, OK? If you're tempted to log on to voice your thoughts, try this site instead: American Red Cross. There are instructions for donating via phone, text, or online. Peace.

We can all get back to our normal, nasty selves tomorrow...

Postby Dex » Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
We can all get back to our normal, nasty selves tomorrow...

I'm not sure who you are referring to as being 'nasty'. But, I find many of the people here are 'good people'.

A new person post a question about hiking a 14er and they will get a responsible response.

Need beta on a 14er and they will provide it.

Lose equipment and they will return it, if they can.

Abandon a dog and they will organize a search party to rescue it.

-----

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”
― Mother Teresa
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby kansas » Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 am

"Dr" Jon is probably already on his way to Oklahoma to take pictures and set up a sleeping bag somewhere. Surely a man with his skills can find a way to make money off of this.

Postby matt pierce » Tue May 21, 2013 9:00 am

Sorry Susan - sleeping on peaks has nothing to do with OKC...

Should we also have a moment of silence for the Boston folks? How about Katrina victims? Sandy Hook? How about something for that poor sole Mason who fell and had his chest crushed on El Cap this week?

Cmon...

As to Jon (not Dr Jon) - he is an attention whore. What's worse is he demands respect from people. Unfortunately this is a small community and 1 thing I've learned over the years is that you can't demand respect from fellow climbers - you have to earn it - by silently going out and crushing it weekend after weekend etc.

I believe Aron Ralston is still the only person to summit all 14ers in winter SOLO - now that's a book I would read
Ken Nolan is like late 60's and has climbed like the highest 3,000 peaks in CO - or something like that - many in winter - many solo - and I believe he is the current "grid" leader - A book I would read for sure
Members of this site like Sarah T (Meiser) and Kevin Baker earn respect because they love the mountains and are out "walking the walk"

There is simply nothing special about sleeping on the 14ers - certainly not worth writing a book about - but in true capitalist form Jon has proven that if you are legend in your own mind you can get the herd to believe you, follow and buy books.

Which I suppose is fine - unless you fabricate some of the details - like stating your meteorologist friend was "with you" on the summits because he was texting you ](*,)

People lie - see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Million_Little_Pieces

So Jon - stop calling yourself a doctor and please know that we simply don't respect your stunt's

Oh and 1 more thing - if I'm out on the trail somewhere and you find me injured and bleeding please don't take photos of me and post them online [-X

Postby madbuck » Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am

As a public service announcement, I wanted to let you know there were a few SIGNED copies of the first book at the Boulder Bookstore a few months ago:
jk_phd.jpg
jk_phd.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 306 times

At the time, I noticed there were some copies with the "PhD" signed as well...and some weren't. Collector's item?
I was thinking about buying these for myself, or selling them here as a public service...but ended up doing neither, and just took an inspired picture. Glad to know that others might enjoy it as well!

Peace!

Postby globreal » Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 am

susanjoypaul wrote:I propose a one-day moratorium on unkind thoughts and words against Dr. Jon - and everyone else, deserved or not - in honor of the victims of the Oklahoma tornado. I'm not defending or attacking anyone, just trying to focus all this energy in a more positive direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

Great advice from an old classic.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby DArcyS » Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 am

I think I can understand people's angst in Dr. Jon repeating what's already been done before. So, would it help if he just limited himself to Tebowing on top of the summits?

Postby Guitarzan » Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 am

There is a Market for books on places you've slept??..........Sweet!! I'm gonna win a pulitzer. I am freakin master when it comes to sleepin!!
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

Postby Steve Climber » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 am

Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

PreviousNext