Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Do you intend on completing the following list(s):

Complete the 14ers (no matter if it's the 53/54 count or the 58)
48%
Complete the Centennials (13ers in the Top 100)
30%
Complete the Bi-centennials (101 - 200 ranked 13ers)
7%
Complete ALL of the 13ers (ranked)
4%
Ski all of the 14ers
5%
Climb all of the 14ers in winter
6%

Total votes : 162

Re: Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Postby HuskyRunner » Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 pm

TomPierce wrote:all of Roach's classics (13 and 14ers)

That would be nice, or a list of classic routes (technical and non-technical) along the lines of Steck and Roper's 50 Classic Climbs but there are some on that list that I'm not too interested in. I know it's blasphemay but I don't have much interest in sleeping on a cliff and pooping through a tube and I'm never going to be a good enough climber to do Half Dome or El Cap in a day.

But a 50 or 100 Classics for CO is a list I might actually be interested in doing.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sun May 19, 2013 4:19 pm

d_baker wrote:For that suggestion to be applied to the poll, there first must be a list of said Hipster Peaks. I must not be a hipster, because I don't know of that list. Damn. That sucks.

But wouldn't they cease to be hipster peaks once everyone knew about them? :wink:
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby Fisching » Sun May 19, 2013 4:34 pm

d_baker wrote:
Kent McLemore wrote:Suggested category: top 50 Hipster Peaks.

For that suggestion to be applied to the poll, there first must be a list of said Hipster Peaks. I must not be a hipster, because I don't know of that list. Damn. That sucks.

You know who has that list of peaks? Kansas.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sun May 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Why stop at just the ranked 13ers and not climb them all?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby d_baker » Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Fisching wrote:
d_baker wrote:
Kent McLemore wrote:Suggested category: top 50 Hipster Peaks.

For that suggestion to be applied to the poll, there first must be a list of said Hipster Peaks. I must not be a hipster, because I don't know of that list. Damn. That sucks.

You know who has that list of peaks? Kansas.

He can keep the list to himself. Or if you're talking about the state of Kansas, I'm pretty sure I don't want to know their list of peaks, hip or not.

Postby nkan02 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Put Hagar on the list for hipster peaks. 13ers are supposed to provide solitude - to compensate for subpar views compared to 14ers, but 3 large groups of skiers going for the same meager line? Really? That's it, I am going back to 14ers, 13ers are getting to be too crowded. The mountain was very angry all day today because of a conga line of hipster skiers violating its slopes.

Postby d_baker » Sun May 19, 2013 4:49 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:Why stop at just the ranked 13ers and not climb them all?

Some of the people I know that would like to climb all of the 13ers usually scoff at the thought of doing an unranked peak, unless it is combined with something else that is ranked. Bluebird could tell you about that. ;)
I think they call it efficiency in peak bagging or something. I'm not sure if that is a rule that Darcy has or not (because I didn't read his list of rules).

Postby d_baker » Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 pm

nkan02 wrote:Put Hagar on the list for hipster peaks. 13ers are supposed to provide solitude - to compensate for subpar views compared to 14ers, but 3 large groups of skiers going for the same meager line? Really? That's it, I am going back to 14ers, 13ers are getting to be too crowded. The mountain was very angry all day today because of a conga line of hipster skiers violating its slopes.

That's reads like a hipster skier attitude. You fit in. ;)

Postby Gahugafuga » Sun May 19, 2013 5:06 pm

d_baker wrote:
nkan02 wrote:Put Hagar on the list for hipster peaks. 13ers are supposed to provide solitude - to compensate for subpar views compared to 14ers, but 3 large groups of skiers going for the same meager line? Really? That's it, I am going back to 14ers, 13ers are getting to be too crowded. The mountain was very angry all day today because of a conga line of hipster skiers violating its slopes.

That's reads like a hipster skier attitude. You fit in. ;)

Postby bergsteigen » Sun May 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Fisching wrote:You know who has that list of peaks? Kansas.

That's because he points at a peak, makes up a name like "knobbly", and puts it on his list. Therefore no one has heard of *that* peak

BillMiddlebrook wrote:There must be a Colorado's Top 10 Longest Big Mountain Ski Lines. Mmmm, to me, that sounds way better than any rock-climbing "list" but I might be a bit biased from 40+ years of sliding on snow. :-" :-D

benners, lordhelmut? You guys must be thinking of this list by now.

I'd be down with this list!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby SteveBonowski » Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 pm

I finished the 14ers in 1999; the 55 that I recognize. Then I said no more lists except the "fun list."

Postby Taillon75 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Summit Dumping all the way!
Catchy saying from someone famous.

PreviousNext