Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Do you intend on completing the following list(s):

Complete the 14ers (no matter if it's the 53/54 count or the 58)
48%
Complete the Centennials (13ers in the Top 100)
30%
Complete the Bi-centennials (101 - 200 ranked 13ers)
7%
Complete ALL of the 13ers (ranked)
4%
Ski all of the 14ers
5%
Climb all of the 14ers in winter
6%

Total votes : 162

Re: Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Postby TallGrass » Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Brian C wrote:There should be a "who cares about any of those lists?" option.

I just completed the list of selecting all lists of "Which 'list' will you try to complete?"
... and I feel just the same. :( :? :lol:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby thisistheday » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 am

My apology for my ignorance in asking this question. I am 2 away from finishing the list of 58 14ers and started looking into the Centennials. In looking at the list, there are 'ranked' and 'unranked' 13ers. Can someone explain the difference to me?

Postby smoove » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am

thisistheday wrote:My apology for my ignorance in asking this question. I am 2 away from finishing the list of 58 14ers and started looking into the Centennials. In looking at the list, there are 'ranked' and 'unranked' 13ers. Can someone explain the difference to me?

It's the same for the 13ers as the 14ers. A ranked peak needs to have at least 300' of prominence--i.e., there must be at least 300 feet of vertical gain from the saddle between the peak in question and the next highest peak. Forgive me experts if I have not explained it perfectly.

Postby TakeMeToYourSummit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 am

What?! No list of 73? Oh well... anyways ranked 13ers have the same rules as ranked 14ers. Must have 300 feet of prominence from its nearest ranked peak. After I get the "73 List" done... prolly just gonna have fun on 13ers, 12ers, hell - 10ers! 8)

...damn just got beat to the 13er question...
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 pm

thisistheday wrote:My apology for my ignorance in asking this question. I am 2 away from finishing the list of 58 14ers and started looking into the Centennials. In looking at the list, there are 'ranked' and 'unranked' 13ers. Can someone explain the difference to me?

Both Bill M (open someone's 13er list, filter to top 100 and ranked) and Gerry Roach list the centennials as the 100 highest ranked peaks (I assume the CMC goes by the same list)...so this list includes 53 14ers. I'm trying to finish the cents and 58 14ers...so for me, my first and last "list" is actually 105 peaks.

Darin, West Des Moines...really? Are you working on the 100 tallest silos? Having played college golf in Des Moines, I'm suprised that metropolis can afford your skills!
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby JROSKA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Brian C wrote:There should be a "who cares about any of those lists?" option.

I don't necessarily disagree with the OP posing the question (poll), but I generally agree with this statement. First, I have a tremendous degree of respect for anyone who completes any of these lists, so in that sense, I do care about it. But where it pertains to me, I am confident that I can probably hike / climb 50 of the 14ers, but if I get to a point where I only have a few left, and I'm not comfortable based on what I feel I can / can't handle, I won't feel any worse about myself if I stop a bit short of the 53 or 58. So in that sense, the list is insignificant. My list would be "Completing as many 14ers as I can."

Postby Mtnman200 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:47 pm

I'll bet that when you only have a few left, your experience on the ones you climbed will make you comfortable enough in your ability to complete the rest. That goes for whatever list you're working on.

Postby JROSKA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Mtnman200 wrote:I'll bet that when you only have a few left, your experience on the ones you climbed will make you comfortable enough in your ability to complete the rest. That goes for whatever list you're working on.

I suppose that's true. I recently worked up to Class 3, and I plan to attempt Class 4 in the next year or two, and I generally hike / climb 14ers. I guess that shows intent to complete the 14er list, so I went back and answered "yes" to that in the poll.

Postby Carl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:27 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:There must be a Colorado's Top 10 Longest Big Mountain Ski Lines. Mmmm, to me, that sounds way better than any rock-climbing "list" but I might be a bit biased from 40+ years of sliding on snow. :-" :-D

benners, lordhelmut? You guys must be thinking of this list by now.

By vertical feet, relatively direct line, with a sustained pitch no less than a certain degree, maybe 25 or 30. Would be a fun list to see. I imagine Pyramid is on there.

Previous