Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Do you intend on completing the following list(s):

Complete the 14ers (no matter if it's the 53/54 count or the 58)
48%
Complete the Centennials (13ers in the Top 100)
30%
Complete the Bi-centennials (101 - 200 ranked 13ers)
7%
Complete ALL of the 13ers (ranked)
4%
Ski all of the 14ers
5%
Climb all of the 14ers in winter
6%

Total votes : 162

Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Postby d_baker » Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 am

With recent forum discussions on why/why not finish and the debatable 'rules for peak bagging' I became curious as to how many hope to finish particular lists.

Re: Poll: Which "list" will you try to complete?

Postby sunny1 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:47 am

Will finish the 14ers 1st.
Then climb whatever I want.
Commitment phobe :oops: , not ready to sign up for another list!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Only one list matters

Postby Marmot72 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

I was close to finishing the 14ers (list of 58) in 2011 and I remember thinking several times "yeah, it will be cool to do that peak, but first I have to finish the 14ers." So when I finished, I was relieved that I had no constraints. Now I am NOT after the centennials or bicentennials -- and it feels great to look at mountains for the routes, the aesthetics, etc. and just pick what I want to hike/climb. The only list I have now is an Excel sheet of peaks that I want to climb. So that's all - any damned list is arbitrary, so just make up your own list and enjoy ticking the peaks off it.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.

Re: Only one list matters

Postby Chicago Transplant » Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 am

I voted for the first 4 choices. I already did the first 2 (based on my list for the 14ers :P), and probably have 40 to go to get the bi's? Somewhere around there anyway. I have a lot of 13ers left and it will take a long time to climb all of them, but I "intend" to, so I voted for it. I am not on a timetable and tend to think more like Marmot72, I have lots of peaks I want to climb and some of them fall into certain lists, but its all rather arbitrary and I just like to climb as much as I can. Its fun to go back and repeat things to do a different route or a different season too and as long as I am getting out and not sitting at work (like I am now ](*,) ) I am happy!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Brian C » Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 am

There should be a "who cares about any of those lists?" option.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sun May 19, 2013 11:18 am

Just voted for the first option...for centennials/bicentennials/13ers, I know that there has to be some peak out there that'll be my highest unclimbed, and I'm okay with that. Not to mention some peaks on the list are too dangerous (Gladstone, Ice, etc.) or too boring (most stuff in the Sawatch) for my tastes. Not doing all the winter 14ers since I don't feel like dying on the Bells or Capitol, and I'm not into skiing.

The lists I am looking to finish someday...50 state highpoints and prominent points, lower 49 Ultras, western US (minus Alaska) and New England county highpoints, Arizona's P2K list, and every 14er in the lower 48. Colorado is awesome, but if you never venture outside of the state for your climbing endeavors, you do yourself a great disservice...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby d_baker » Sun May 19, 2013 11:19 am

Brian C wrote:There should be a "who cares about any of those lists?" option.

I don't know if I can add to the poll questions. Besides, it's for the "list" people anyway, hence the reason "list" is in the title!
What if I add this though:
Which "list" of choss piles will you aide climb? ;)

Postby Brian C » Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 am

Haha! Good point!

Postby TomPierce » Sun May 19, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, eh, I'm with Brian for sure. No interest in those lists, there must be thousands of finishers. But fair enough, this is 14ers.com, so I get it that most are interested in the altitude-based lists. But for those who want to branch out beyond altitude, forget about my favorites (ranked and unranked 5th class lists), there's also the lists of peaks above 13K with the easiest route class 3+, top 100 with class 2+, steepest peaks, etc. etc. Lists of John is an invaluable resource for those so inclined. Or all of Roach's classics (13 and 14ers), all the 5th class summit routes on the 14ers (summitpost). Or all the 14ers by their hardest summit routes (I don't think anyone has done that; and fwiw, strictly speaking the Diamond on Longs isn't a "summit" route as I've heard that term defined). Just some ideas.

-Tom

PS: And then there is the deviant crowd: Doctorate in Flatironology, all of the tourist hikes up the Fisher Towers...:lol:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 pm

There must be a Colorado's Top 10 Longest Big Mountain Ski Lines. Mmmm, to me, that sounds way better than any rock-climbing "list" but I might be a bit biased from 40+ years of sliding on snow. :-" :-D

benners, lordhelmut? You guys must be thinking of this list by now.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Kent McLemore » Sun May 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Suggested category: top 50 Hipster Peaks.
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby d_baker » Sun May 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Kent McLemore wrote:Suggested category: top 50 Hipster Peaks.

For that suggestion to be applied to the poll, there first must be a list of said Hipster Peaks. I must not be a hipster, because I don't know of that list. Damn. That sucks.

Next