Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Asthma/Pulse-Ox meters

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Asthma/Pulse-Ox meters

Postby MountainMedic » Sat May 18, 2013 8:52 am

+1 on the peak flow meter. It provides a much better guide for asthma treatment than pulse oximetry, and is likely to provide objective evidence of an attack before pulse oximetry will. Asthmatics having a mild attack can stay in the mid 90's, but their peak flow will drop.

Re: Asthma/Pulse-Ox meters

Postby unclegar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm

After thinking about this discussion, I bought a finger pulse-oximeter for $35 @ Walmart and out of curiosity took it with me when I climbed Longs and Pagoda last week. At home (8000 ft) I typically read 97. I checked about 1/3 up the Loft couloir and was reading 83. I didn't think to check on Longs summit but went to Pagoda next and checked on the summit and it was 81. As l mentioned before, since 2010 I have wondered about asthma-like symptoms that I sometimes have on climbs and in general since then. I don't recall having any wheezing during this hike though. Anyway, I thought this might be interesting to someone. The unit itself is so small and light that bringing it was not a problem. I don't think it is necessary to bring one to evaluate your asthma symptom potential but I do wonder if people with airway restrictions may read lower at altitude than people with no airway issues.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Previous