Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Finishing vs. not finishing - why?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Finishing vs. not finishing - why?

Postby Brian C » Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 am

TravelingMatt wrote:
George James wrote:A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked

The hell it ain't

Haha! Don't forget where you are George! Land of the peak baggers!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby DArcyS » Fri May 17, 2013 5:52 am

My-Therapy wrote:I wonder how many finishers there are? 1000? 2000? more?

The CMC publishes a list of people completing the 14ers and that number currently stands at 1500. However, this number does not include people who don't submit their names to the CMC. So, 2000 might be about right.

The number of people who have climbed the centennials according to CMC records stands at about 200. Thus, about 90% of the 14er "finishers" might be considered people who are quite happy to be finished with lists.

The number of people who have climbed the bi's according to CMC records stands at about 75. So, about 5% of the people completing the 14ers go onto climb the bi's.

Currently, according to the CMC the number of people who have climbed the top 400 in Colorado is at 27, while the number of people who have climbed all the Colorado 13ers is at 24. If you have climbed the top 400, it appears climbing peaks is in your blood and the last coupled hundred aren't that big of deal to knock off.

Postby highpilgrim » Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 am

inthemtns wrote:The number of people who have climbed the centennials according to CMC records stands at about 200. Thus, about 90% of the 14er "finishers" might be considered people who are quite happy to be finished with lists.

No, that only means that 200 of the 1500 who have finished the 14ers have finished the cents. It in no way represents the number of finishers who are currently working on the cents, nor does it reflect those who are doing them concurrently.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby dsunwall » Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

It might be interesting to compare the finisher list at 14ers.com to the CMC list. How many show finishing here but not at CMC? Then add the number to the CMC list to get a total. then LOJ etc. might get a little tedious............ especially since here pseudonyms are used but not at CMC. In the end you still would be short because of those who don't list anywhere. so..........forget about it. :roll:

Postby DArcyS » Fri May 17, 2013 3:09 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
inthemtns wrote:The number of people who have climbed the centennials according to CMC records stands at about 200. Thus, about 90% of the 14er "finishers" might be considered people who are quite happy to be finished with lists.

No, that only means that 200 of the 1500 who have finished the 14ers have finished the cents. It in no way represents the number of finishers who are currently working on the cents, nor does it reflect those who are doing them concurrently.

I'm not certain what your point is. But in an attempt to address the current non-finishers, I suspect for every person who finishes the centennials this year, about 7-8 will finish the 14ers. Maybe that ratio will change over time, maybe not.
Last edited by DArcyS on Fri May 17, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri May 17, 2013 3:51 pm

dsunwall wrote:It might be interesting to compare the finisher list at 14ers.com to the CMC list. How many show finishing here but not at CMC? Then add the number to the CMC list to get a total. then LOJ etc. might get a little tedious............ especially since here pseudonyms are used but not at CMC. In the end you still would be short because of those who don't list anywhere. so..........forget about it. :roll:

I am one of them who is a 14er finisher that did not report to CMC. The kicker? I did report my Cent finish to them. The reason? I don't count North Maroon, and haven't climbed it, so in the CMC list I am not a finisher. The CMC puts it on their 14er list, but not the highest 100 list because it does not have 300' of prominence and the highest 100 is based on the 300' prom rule. I only count peaks on my lists with 300' of prom. The other kicker, they DO put Challenger on the High 100, but NOT on the 14er list. As if lists are bad enough to pursue, some list don't even jive with each other :?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby painless4u2 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Chicago Transplant:

I don't count North Maroon, and haven't climbed it, so in the CMC list I am not a finisher.

No, you're not a finisher here, either. [-( Now get out there and climb North Maroon!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby MountainHiker » Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:
dsunwall wrote:It might be interesting to compare the finisher list at 14ers.com to the CMC list. How many show finishing here but not at CMC? Then add the number to the CMC list to get a total. then LOJ etc. might get a little tedious............ especially since here pseudonyms are used but not at CMC. In the end you still would be short because of those who don't list anywhere. so..........forget about it. :roll:

I am one of them who is a 14er finisher that did not report to CMC. The kicker? I did report my Cent finish to them. The reason? I don't count North Maroon, and haven't climbed it, so in the CMC list I am not a finisher. The CMC puts it on their 14er list, but not the highest 100 list because it does not have 300' of prominence and the highest 100 is based on the 300' prom rule. I only count peaks on my lists with 300' of prom. The other kicker, they DO put Challenger on the High 100, but NOT on the 14er list. As if lists are bad enough to pursue, some list don't even jive with each other :?

I’m confused. What does it “counting” or not have to do with climbing it? :?
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Chicago Transplant » Sat May 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I would have climbed North Maroon when I went up Maroon but T-storms were on the horizon and it made more sense to turn around. Just haven't gotten around to repeating Maroon yet, but hope to do the traverse when I do. I made the right call on turning back the first time, big storms were popping off by the time I got to Carbondale.

I'll go back to climb it when I feel like it, but its not a "real" 14er in my opinion, so it has nothing to do with "finishing" or not seeing as finishing is relative to a list that North Maroon is not on. Iowa isn't on my Highest 100 list but I climbed it anyway. To me North Maroon is just a false summit, albeit a pretty cool looking one. El Diente was a cool false summit too, so was North Eolus. I have nothing against false summits, just don't think I need to climb all of them to "finish" my list 8)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby painless4u2 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:22 pm

IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 163 times

North Maroon Peak.
Sometimes mountains are worth the effort, even if they're not "official", due to the different perspectives you have.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:I would have climbed North Maroon when I went up Maroon but T-storms were on the horizon and it made more sense to turn around. Just haven't gotten around to repeating Maroon yet, but hope to do the traverse when I do. I made the right call on turning back the first time, big storms were popping off by the time I got to Carbondale.

I'll go back to climb it when I feel like it, but its not a "real" 14er in my opinion, so it has nothing to do with "finishing" or not seeing as finishing is relative to a list that North Maroon is not on. Iowa isn't on my Highest 100 list but I climbed it anyway. To me North Maroon is just a false summit, albeit a pretty cool looking one. El Diente was a cool false summit too, so was North Eolus. I have nothing against false summits, just don't think I need to climb all of them to "finish" my list 8)

Couldn't you say that Crestone Needle is just a false summit to Crestone Peak though?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby dcbates80911 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 am

I don't plan to finish the 14ers and that is my choice for many reasons. I have nothing against those whose goal is to finish. A few years back, I became obsessed with doing as many as I could and getting the "report" out. Annual goals were set and tried to keep them. In the end, it seemed like I was doing the peaks more for other people's view of me than for my own satisfaction. Therefore, I too started to get burned out. Moreover, I neglected other parts of my life like the family. In short, it became a burden. Today, I am back on the trails and my focus is to simply get out and enjoy the journey where ever it may take me. If by chance, it takes me to the top of a 14er then great. I think in the last year, I have enjoyed more repeaters than anything due to the company on the trail and a different frame of mind. Also, I have really enjoyed some of the more simple hikes whether there was a successful summit or not. To date my most favorite hike took be from Scholfield Pass into the Fravert basin and back. No summit, but one hell of a beautiful place and an experience nobody can take away. That is why I do this and why I don't feel a need to finish.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

PreviousNext