Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Solo???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Solo???

Postby XMULE » Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 am

In the spirit of Jimmy Buffet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsG3PyGvL0) if you don't see me hiking that's because I'm hiking (solo).
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 am

Jesse M wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer... we'll all hike alone, preferably to a summit. There will be no photos or trip reports, and afterwards we'll each go to our respective neighborhood bar, where we'll raise a glass to ourselves and our summit. It will be... tangerious :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am in for this Summer Solo Ungathering, susanjoypaul.

Very good, then. We would put you on the list, if there was one.

I nominate DenneyR as the Unofficial Misleader of this fine anti-Social Event, since he started the thread. It's going to be a spectacular outing for sure!

One caveat: No caveats. And no rules.

Solo on!

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer...

That's also Nude Hiking Day. Although maybe you knew that.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby 2 left ft » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 am

Solo - my time with God.

Postby God_ » Fri May 17, 2013 8:59 am

2 left ft wrote:Solo - my time with God.

About that...you're going to have to pick up the pace this summer, or I'm finding a new partner.

Postby Dex » Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 am

Going solo you never know what the experience will be - it just comes to you.

Sometimes, it is OMG! this is beautiful.

Sometimes, thoughts just pop into your mind.

Sometimes, it is a physical challenge.

Sometimes, it is a mental challenge.

Yesterday, I did Shavano via the Angel - stay to the right and then a left to the peak. Well, don't ask me why but I thought the right shoulder was the peak then I looked to the left - the left peak was higher! I don't don't know how many vertical feet it was but it was steep. I pushed on to the peak.

I had the mountain to myself. I was loaded up with crampons, snow shoes with extenders, ice axe, 3 liters of water - I used it all except for the ice axe.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby ak47 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 am

First off, I have always loved hiking/ climbing/ biking/ skiing/ snowboarding/ backpacking solo. Helps boost confidence, go where you want to go, do what u want to do, etc. However, we should all understand that it's a selfish act and usually causes undue stress upon our families/ loved ones who don't understand why we wander into the woods for days on end in the first place. For their sake I now prefer to travel with a partner, which brings along its own set of liabilities and responsibilities, but my family sleeps better when I'm gone knowing my partner and I are both safer and better off having each other there in case anything happens. I'm not saying I don't solo on occassion, but dialing it back gets old, as does hearing your girlfriend disapprovingly say "please be careful" and roll her eyes: you all know what I'm talking about. I'm a risk taker but I want to keep at it until my legs crumble and knees explode. AK

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 17, 2013 5:29 pm

It sounds like you need to get your girlfriend more involved. :)

I did most of my hiking solo for several years while my wife and kids stayed home. Then the kids got big enough to hike, and we did more family stuff (and wife and kids got to about 30 14ers apiece). Now the kids are graduated from college and I haven't soloed a 14er in about 3 years - my wife drags me up them instead (and we'll probably finish the list together this year or next).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat May 18, 2013 7:17 am

ak47 wrote:However, we should all understand that it's a selfish act...

You say "selfish" like it's a bad thing.

ak47 wrote:...and usually causes undue stress upon our families/ loved ones who don't understand why we wander into the woods for days on end in the first place.

...as does hearing your girlfriend disapprovingly say "please be careful" and roll her eyes: you all know what I'm talking about.

My loved ones understand exactly why I do what I do, are never disapproving, would never say anything as inane as "please be careful," and they only occasionally roll their eyes - usually at my really bad jokes. So no, we do not all know what you're talking about. You have a right to your opinion, but everyone's situation is different, and if my loved ones ever tried to guilt me into changing my behavior to suit their own wants and needs - itself a truly selfish act - well, I would get new loved ones.

We all make choices, and compromises, in life. I choose selfish. My loved ones approve. They are selfish too, and I applaud them for it. Like someone mentioned earlier, some folks are just wired a little differently, with a strong drive to pursue their own happiness, a compassion, empathy, and approval for others who do the same, and a repulsion for those who get in the way.

Also, to keep things in perspective, we're talking about hiking. In Colorado. There are many, many more dangerous activities out there. I would put my own behaviors at the low end of the risk spectrum.

Postby boudreaux » Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 am

I hike solo a lot too, love the solitude! I always tell my wife with heavy sarcasm when she says to 'be careful' that I'm gonna go out and get hurt, why not, sounds fun, then kiss her goodbye! Always call from the summit, back at the car, etc. She encourages me to get out and do something, even though it is a solo hike. She knows what the benefits are, mentally and physically. Plus she loves my boring pictures! "There's me at the big rock at the summit", followed by glazed over eyes. I really love trying to explain to her how a topo map works. She just sees the lines.
Ragin Cajun

Postby Tony1 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:44 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Also, to keep things in perspective, we're talking about hiking. In Colorado. There are many, many more dangerous activities out there. I would put my own behaviors at the low end of the risk spectrum.

I agree with this. In the grand scheme of things, our mountains here are pretty tame, and so many have trails that go right to the top and back. It blows my mind when some people I know are like "A fourteener? Are you crazy?! By yourself? WHAT?!"

Yes, in most cases it's literally following a trail up a giant hill!

Postby bob863 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I agree with Tony1 (and a few others)......most of the 14ers are just a walk up a giant hill....I'm a former Airborne Ranger and most of the 14ers don't come close to be a "death-defying" experience (unless you don't have the experience/knowledge/skills/weather-understanding)....fortunately, I haven't had someone firing a weapon at me on a 14er...

PreviousNext