Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Solo???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Solo???

Postby screeman57 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:20 pm

crossfitter wrote:Any way, Assuming your typical 14er involves somewhere on the order of 500 miles of driving round trip (usually less), your risk of death from car accident is 1/200,000 while your risk of death on the mountain is around 1/100,000. Keep in mind as I mentioned above, this is an incredibly conservative estimate if you are only considering higher risk peaks. At best mountaineering is equally as risky as driving, and it is probably quite a bit more so.

Great point--I once endured a terrifying airline landing at DEN in a storm, in which the pilot had to try to land 6 times in a heavy crosswind. People were freaking out, praying out loud, screaming. There was a crying girl sitting next to me, and the guy on the other side of the aisle said to her, "You're much more likely to die in a car accident." She replied, "not at this particular moment!"

Ocean swimmers are much more likely to get eaten by sharks than get struck by lightning. Generalized statistics are minimally useful to specific populations, and even less useful in particular situations.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby oldschool » Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 pm

look at summitpost.org. they have a page about climbing accident and compare them to traffic accidents. the evidence is overwhelming......... based on many different set of criteria, the likelihood of dieing or getting hurt in a traffic accident are much higher than in mountaineering

Postby DenneyR » Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Hey there folks......my intent for this thread was to discuss the enjoyment of hiking solo as opposed to the enjoyment of hiking with others. Both have their good and not-so-good points.....

I really wasn't looking for a debate on gadgets and the old worn out discussion of car vs mountain

Postby Fisching » Tue May 14, 2013 6:11 pm

DenneyR wrote:Hey there folks......my intent for this thread was to discuss the enjoyment of hiking solo as opposed to the enjoyment of hiking with others. Both have their good and not-so-good points.....

I really wasn't looking for a debate on gadgets and the old worn out discussion of car vs mountain

To help you get back on track, here are the two things I'll add for the enjoyment of solo hiking.

1) I'm a very contemplative person and usually enjoy my solitude to get lost in my train of thought. When in high school in IL, I used 60+ miles of cycling to do this. In Colorado, that habit morphed to hiking & climbing, the latter of which provides a decent mental workout, too.

2) Those that have hiked with me know I have a propensity to set a fast hiking speed. I try to temper that in a group setting. Being solo (and free from hauling Jeff Golden's fat-ass down Mt. Rainier) gives me the opportunity to pound out as many miles and mountains as I can. In addition to the great cardio workout, it also allows me to prove my ability to myself.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby powhound » Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 pm

I enjoy either way ... solo or with partners. They are just two completely different experiences, which each have their own merits. I just want to mention another good point about going solo, which I don't think has been brought up yet ... photography. I have done about half of my trips alone, and during those, I definitely have a sharper photographic eye. In addition to the obvious grand vistas, I get tuned in to the smaller things, patterns, subtle shifting changes in the light, etc. Not only do these details usually get overlooked when with other people, it is very difficult to ask others to stop and wait while you work out the finer points of trying to capture a good picture.

Postby DenneyR » Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 pm

powhound wrote:I enjoy either way ... solo or with partners. They are just two completely different experiences, which each have their own merits. I just want to mention another good point about going solo, which I don't think has been brought up yet ... photography. I have done about half of my trips alone, and during those, I definitely have a sharper photographic eye. In addition to the obvious grand vistas, I get tuned in to the smaller things, patterns, subtle shifting changes in the light, etc. Not only do these details usually get overlooked when with other people, it is very difficult to ask others to stop and wait while you work out the finer points of trying to capture a good picture.

I am a photo nut also.......just bought a new camera for this years trip to the 14er's. I totally agree.....and I love looking back at my pics and reliving each trip

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:32 pm

I pretty much hike solo all the time. The only time I go with a partner is if I'm doing something that I need to rope up for. I think the only times I get nervous are if I'm in a sketchy avalanche area or loose exposed stuff but even then I don't think I'd have it any other way. I think the main reason I'm so comfortable with hiking solo is that I used to guide, which is like solo hiking only you have to keep other people safe and patch them up when they get hurt. So solo hiking is kind of easier since I only have to worry about myself.

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 am

Last edited by tommyboy360 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:05 am

Last edited by tommyboy360 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 am

DenneyR wrote:Hey there folks......my intent for this thread was to discuss the enjoyment of hiking solo as opposed to the enjoyment of hiking with others. Both have their good and not-so-good points.....

We're just demonstrating why it's nice to get away from other people sometimes.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu May 16, 2013 8:29 am

Jim Davies wrote:

Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer... we'll all hike alone, preferably to a summit. There will be no photos or trip reports, and afterwards we'll each go to our respective neighborhood bar, where we'll raise a glass to ourselves and our summit. It will be... tangerious :-D

Postby Jesse M » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:

Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer... we'll all hike alone, preferably to a summit. There will be no photos or trip reports, and afterwards we'll each go to our respective neighborhood bar, where we'll raise a glass to ourselves and our summit. It will be... tangerious :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am in for this Summer Solo Ungathering, susanjoypaul.
"What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy." George Mallory

lordhelmut wrote:You are, in fact, one of the gatekeeper of the Gapers.

PreviousNext