Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

!!! Shoplifter at Neptune !!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: !!! Shoplifter at Neptune !!!

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:I'm an old man, I was confused.

"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Beman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm

I read a lot and post very rarely but this is epic dumb. Neptune needs to take the sign off the front of the door that says come steal our stuff. At best they get this stuff back and its a cheap lesson at worst its $1000 or so lesson and they might start to electronically tagging things that are of high value. It doesn't take a Nostradamus to see that if you got nice stuff that isnt guarded people will take it. This is all on them and is just mind boggling that they would post on facebook to confirm that they are free for the taking. It is too nice out side to be reading and writing about stuff this dumb. Im going to go hike something and if I see this guy Im taking his boots they sound nice.

Postby randalmartin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Beman wrote:I read a lot and post very rarely but this is epic dumb. Neptune needs to take the sign off the front of the door that says come steal our stuff. At best they get this stuff back and its a cheap lesson at worst its $1000 or so lesson and they might start to electronically tagging things that are of high value. It doesn't take a Nostradamus to see that if you got nice stuff that isnt guarded people will take it. This is all on them and is just mind boggling that they would post on facebook to confirm that they are free for the taking.

So Neptune is at fault for not having sophisticated enough measures to counter the threat of shoplifting. Those measures cost something and that cost is ultimately passed on to customers. The Ahole that stole the boots is a POS and good for Neptune for taking reasonable and appropriate measures for finding the guy. Hopefully someone recognizes him and he goes to jail.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Beman wrote:I read a lot and post very rarely but this is epic dumb. Neptune needs to take the sign off the front of the door that says come steal our stuff. At best they get this stuff back and its a cheap lesson at worst its $1000 or so lesson and they might start to electronically tagging things that are of high value. It doesn't take a Nostradamus to see that if you got nice stuff that isnt guarded people will take it. This is all on them and is just mind boggling that they would post on facebook to confirm that they are free for the taking. It is too nice out side to be reading and writing about stuff this dumb. Im going to go hike something and if I see this guy Im taking his boots they sound nice.

Disposable EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance) tags are down to about 4 cents apiece. Go figure.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby CO Native » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I completely disagree with Fletch. A store owner should not have to defend their stuff from theft. It's smart for them to do so, but when a theft occurs it is 100% the fault of the thief for stealing it. If I come across this guy I'm certainly going to put forth effort to at least get enough info that he can be tracked down.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Fletch wrote:Here's what will happen IF they ever get this guy --- he's gonna say, um, ... are you ready for it... "I didn't do it."

I think the video (plus employee testimony) would be enough evidence to convict the guy, if they can figure out who it is.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 pm

I don't law specifics around it but $1000 anything isn't minor shoplifting. Don't know if jail is potential but I would assume more than a slap in the wrist. At this point it's probably a lost cause. Maybe I'm just too optimistic for the intrawebs.

Postby schrund » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm

We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm

The seller is in Fredericksburg, Virginia... Let's get to DIA - I doubt the guy had time to disrobe - he went through security with those boots OFF and ski pants ON!

Seriously, though... this is a ridiculous thread. Neptune - protect your high-priced items better - install an alarm tag on the boots and anything else that could essentially walk away. Chances are very small they will ever be recovered, so write it off as a loss and a simple education. Releasing the video to Facebook and other platforms does little more than advertise their current security problems. I for one will not be on the lookout for anyone wearing these boots.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Fisching wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:Not that it makes him less of a douche, but maybe they train employees to keep an eye on folks that are trying on $1000 boots. I was in a few weeks ago trying on some salewa ice climbing boots and could have walked out at any time. Hard to think the cashier didn't notice either...those boots are no where near inconspicuous.

From 2 posts by Neptune Mountaineering on Facebook: "The girl who was helping him out was working with him for a good 30 minutes, pulling out a number of boots for him to try on and enjoyed his stories of climbing and hanging out on Everest (who knows if they are all B.S.)... He was trying the boots on, asked (sic) where the bathroom was, went to buy a Clif Shot with cash, and then walked out, making sure our sales clerk, who was waiting for him back on the boot deck, wasn't watching... She was fairly devastated to the point of tears when she found out what happened."

Not sure if using the internet to educate the masses to the multiple lapses in security at your fine establishment is the answer to your problems.

Headline News: A store was shoplifted today. This is where, and here a video showing how easy a target they are.

I hate thieves and they deserve a special place in hell, but at the end of the day; Neptune, what have we learned?
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby John Landers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:45 pm

What is being over looked in regards to the employees at Neptune's is that many retail establishments have policies forbidding employees from confronting a thief, whether the person is armed wanting money from the cash register or trying to leave the premises with merchandise. Do you want the gal waiting on him or the person at the cash register, be it male of female, to try and prevent the person from leaving the store? Don't know how that might escalate, don't know if the person has a weapon, or a friend out in the parking lot, or could turn in to assault with a vehicle as the person tries to flee. The employee could be subject to termination. Yes it would be nice if an employee noticed before the guy got out the door and contacted the police or a person in the store trained in dealing with these types of situations, but thieves will do things to distract employees so they don't noticed what the thief is really up to. Yes, Neptune should probably have electronic tags on high value merchandise.

As to this being just part of retail and just deal with it and move on, retail theft is a huge problem and costs all of us honest folks in the price we pay. This person is a parasite and if he goes climbing in his ill gotten boots may he suffer an unfortunate end to his miserable life.

Postby KyleS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:50 pm

I can't believe this thread is still going. :yawn:

PreviousNext