Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

!!! Shoplifter at Neptune !!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: !!! Shoplifter at Neptune !!!

Postby I fall a lot » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 am

Crime of the century.

Postby MonGoose » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am

I wonder if he was also trying on those ski pants? #-o

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:47 am

MonGoose wrote:I wonder if he was also trying on those ski pants? #-o

Someone commented on FB page that they had seen him before in Estes Park Mountain Shop. Said he always has those ski pants on and asks to try on high-end gear.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Kojones » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 am

inthemtns wrote:It just seems so unfair that the revocation of REI's 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy is now forcing some people to take actions not consistent with the law. I mean, if people now have to pay for their stuff, what did you expect?

Wait - what? No more 100% satisfaction guaranteed at REI?

http://www.rei.com/help/guarantee.html

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 am

I'm an old man, I was confused.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:24 am

It must have been hard driving in those boots.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Fisching » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote:Not that it makes him less of a douche, but maybe they train employees to keep an eye on folks that are trying on $1000 boots. I was in a few weeks ago trying on some salewa ice climbing boots and could have walked out at any time. Hard to think the cashier didn't notice either...those boots are no where near inconspicuous.

From 2 posts by Neptune Mountaineering on Facebook: "The girl who was helping him out was working with him for a good 30 minutes, pulling out a number of boots for him to try on and enjoyed his stories of climbing and hanging out on Everest (who knows if they are all B.S.)... He was trying the boots on, asked (sic) where the bathroom was, went to buy a Clif Shot with cash, and then walked out, making sure our sales clerk, who was waiting for him back on the boot deck, wasn't watching... She was fairly devastated to the point of tears when she found out what happened."
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 am

Fisching wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:Not that it makes him less of a douche, but maybe they train employees to keep an eye on folks that are trying on $1000 boots. I was in a few weeks ago trying on some salewa ice climbing boots and could have walked out at any time. Hard to think the cashier didn't notice either...those boots are no where near inconspicuous.

From 2 posts by Neptune Mountaineering on Facebook: "The girl who was helping him out was working with him for a good 30 minutes, pulling out a number of boots for him to try on and enjoyed his stories of climbing and hanging out on Everest (who knows if they are all B.S.)... He was trying the boots on, asked (sic) where the bathroom was, went to buy a Clif Shot with cash, and then walked out, making sure our sales clerk, who was waiting for him back on the boot deck, wasn't watching... She was fairly devastated to the point of tears when she found out what happened."

I'm not saying she in particular is to blame by any means, but the day I was in a few weeks ago, I was trying on a $500 set of ice climbing boots and was left alone for quite a while, while I fidgeted with them and walking around. I was trucking around the store for 15-20 minutes and never once did I see the guy who brought the boots out to me. I actually to wander around to hunt him down to get the boots put away as I didn't want to leave them just sitting out on the bench when I was done. The guy(s) at the register were leaned back in chairs just kinda ho-humming about. I told them to have a good one and they never even looked up from whatever was distracting them...Again, by no means do I think this a particular employee's fault, but had the staff been a bit more alert, this might have had a different ending. They aren't Hot Topic or Tilly's...just think they would do right by themselves to hire / train employees to care a bit more.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Postby Sterl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 pm

He was the last person in the store one would suspect of a ten-finger discount :lol:
"Climbing on a mountain, floating out on the sea
Far from lights of a city, the elements they speak to me..."
1/2 Full - Pearl Jam

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Fletch wrote:Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but what's the point here? Am I missing something...

Personally I think it is brilliant. I suspect it has less to do with getting their boots back and more to do with making a relatively small community aware that if you steal from us we're going to post your mug all over the place. If I were that guy I'd be seriously freaking out. His close friends might not turn him in, but at least they will know what a jerk he is.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby mountain_man » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Not all the employees at Neptune are as unconcerned about shoplifting. When I recently bought some climbing gear, carabiners and such, the clerk placed them in a basket and personally dropped the basket off at the check out counter. Sure it's super easy to pocket those and walk out, but I just wanted to defend one of the employees at least. It sucks they lost those boots, I wonder how much Neptune paid for them. The markup at the grocery store I work at is about 35%, although I wouldn't be surprised if Neptune's markup was higher.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Fletch wrote:I sort of agree here. Shoplifting is a part of retail business. Sort of comes with the territory. Some jerkass comes in and rips you one, and you take to Facebook to complain about it? I'm still a bit puzzled. I'm sure the girl felt duped and felt sorry that it happened on her watch, but the store management really is to blame here --- and they should be the ones trying to fix it... putting out an APB on Facebook isn't really a good solution in my opinion --- IF I run into a guy wearing Olympus Mons boots in the back country, what am I supposed to do? Pull out my concealed firearm and demand a confession??? Give me your boots a**hole! I need to take them into Neptunes for my $300 gift certificate! Walk back to your car barefoot!

The managers got thier egos brusied and didn't really think this one through in my opinion... they can troll Craigslist and Ebay just as well as we can... advertising it on Facebook that you can be easily ripped off and your employees aren't known for paying attention isn't really a good long term solution for preventing further losses...

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but what's the point here? Am I missing something...

I agree (more-or-less) with you. I would liken it (kind of) to putting up "Lost Dog" posters...you can check shelters and CL as well as anyone, but why not put some posters up and get more eyes looking? The difference being:

I can see the "shoplifting is part of the territory" side of it and I know retailers build in a certain margin percentage specifically for loss and carry insurance.

Would I take to FB to try to get these boots back? Maybe I would have; afterall, these ARE $1000 boots stolen from a prominent shop in a relatively small town...I'd like to believe the mountaineering community is tight knit enough (esp at the level those boots are suited for) that it can't hurt to take a shot at getting lots of eyes peeled and maybe get the guy dealt with so he can't keep running around causing higher margins that we have to pay for.

The bad publicity of the shop being ripped off (IMO) MOSTLY due to inattentive employee(s) was definitely a risk and in hindsight probably not worth it. I'm assuming they didn't quite think it all the way through before kneejerking the video to FB and whether it does more good than bad is to be seen. I know "slacker at the register" was the first thing I thought when I saw the video and my comment on their page mirrored this post (better training, less slacker behavior).

Short story long, I don't think you are missing anything or being too harsh. I think the decision to post on FB shows the type of management they have which I think played a part in the boots being nicked to start with.

PreviousNext