Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bear pic

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Bear pic

Postby TallGrass » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Gareth wrote:[concurring black] It looks like the head being down pops one of bear's shoulder blades up into a prominent position.
Believe nyker excluded that in the original post:
nyker wrote:Interestingly, I thought the hump was due to the odd posture, but the hump stayed present while it was moving, something I've not seen with other black bears, including another one I saw that same morning.... This thing was easily twice the size of other black bears I've seen.
Might also find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bear interesting in addition to grizz to show how ears can vary.
Saw a lot of bears up north, black and brown/grizz. Hump does not fit black bears.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby nyker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 pm

For Tallgrass...a couple other shots...note the top one is up the bear upright with the shoulder hump still present.
Attachments
DSC_8218.JPG
DSC_8218.JPG (235.81 KiB) Viewed 497 times
DSC_8172.JPG
DSC_8172.JPG (259.85 KiB) Viewed 497 times

Postby nyker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Another more normal looking black bear for comparison also in SNP, the next Spring.
Attachments
DSC_0582-10x_SNP May 2007.jpg
DSC_0582-10x_SNP May 2007.jpg (314.94 KiB) Viewed 479 times

Postby climbingaggie03 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Man, I've seen alot of black bears, but it's weird looking at pictures and trying to classify a bear. I never realized how much of a difference it makes seeing how the bear moves.

The only thing about that bear that looks black to me is the ears. Everything else about it says grizzly. The face and head look like a grizzly to me and of the probably near a hundred black bears I've seen, I've never seen a hump like that. I'd love to have had a look at the tracks, I feel like that might be the deciding factor that we don't have.

Postby nyker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Here is another shot, the best one I have showing the ears. I took this while behind the only tree around me as it walked towards me hoping it would not see me from the distance I originally spotted it (300-400 ft way). Bit of a scary moment, but it soon walked the other way. This was also odd, as most all black bears I've ever seen have run away. This one did not and kept walking towards me from a good 100 yards away until it got quite close.

This is where I saw how large the head looked compared to other black bears I've seen. I wish I had a shot of the claws or foot prints, but after it lost interest in me I quietly took off.
Attachments
DSC_8220_SNP-May06.jpg
DSC_8220_SNP-May06.jpg (306.47 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Somehow I have trouble reconciling this specimen with other black bears. Look at the cinnamon sheen in his coat. The black bears I have seen in Yellowstone Park or Minnesota were black - period.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby TallGrass » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:40 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:Somehow I have trouble reconciling this specimen with other black bears. Look at the cinnamon sheen in his coat. The black bears I have seen in Yellowstone Park or Minnesota were black - period.
To be fair, a cinnamon bear is just a "blonder" black bear which aren't always black (seen juveniles mislabeled due to color). But as far as sheen or mixed coat, it's worth noting:

"The word "grizzly" in its name refers to "grizzled" or gray hairs in its fur, but when naturalist George Ord formally named the bear in 1815, he misunderstood the word as "grisly", to produce its biological Latin specific or subspecific name "horribilis". ... A pronounced hump appears on their shoulders; the hump is a good way to distinguish a black bear from a grizzly bear, as black bears do not have this hump." link

And dammit, nyker. Don't you know anything?! You should've posed right next to the bear for a size comparison, petted it, given it a Clif bar, and then lifted the paw to check the claws for size and got all that on film too. Seeeeriously, bro, yer letting us down. Bet you didn't even give it a hug. [-(
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby kbmiller » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 am

Looks a little like a malnourished black bear -- awfully skinny -- but the hump is weird. Nose looks like a black bear.

Note that size isn't a good indicator. Average size of coastal black bears in the SE US is on the order of 550 lbs. Inland Grizzlies in Alaska run a bit smaller.

Postby CO Native » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 am

Color cannot be used to determine whether it's a black bear or brown bear. Yes it sounds like color has everything to do with it; but there are brown, black, and even blonde black bears. I've seen a blonde one once down near Lindsey. Grizzlies also can be found with a wide range of fur colors. It seems the poorly named types is the source of a lot of this confusion.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby semitrueskerm » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 am

I think Mrs. Grizz had an affair with the milkman, who was a black bear. Scandal in the Sequoia! A Grizz-Black Bear Bastard!

Previous