Forum

Bear pic

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Bear pic

Postby nyker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I was digging around my older photo files - this one is from 2006 I shot (photographed) in the Sequoia National Park.

I was hiking about 100ft away and it scared the heck out of me as it appeared to be a Grizzly...with the distinct shoulder hump, wide head and overall huge size relative to other black bears I have seen. As such I got a few shots in case it later turned out to be one. On later examination, I presumed it was a black bear. Interestingly, I thought the hump was due to the odd posture, but the hump stayed present while it was moving, something I've not seen with other black bears, including another one I saw that same morning.... This thing was easily twice the size of other black bears I've seen. I wasn't able to see its claws and didn't want to move closer to inspect.

Has anyone seen a black bear resemble a grizzly like this?
Attachments
DSC_8210-nice10x.jpg
DSC_8210-nice10x.jpg (318.75 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Re: Bear pic

Postby JenGa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Wow - very cool photo of that bear! I would have said grizzly, too at first look. And second look. Unfortunately the only bears I've seen have been in our neighborhood trash cans, so I really can't offer any other perspective. :?

-Jen

Postby MonGoose » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 am

The hump definitely resembles a grizzly but the pointed ears and face look like a black bear.

Given the location, it has to be a black bear.

Postby steelfrog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am

That REALLY looks like a Griz for sure. There have been rumors of Griz in the Sierra...

Postby TallGrass » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 am

Possible some grizz genes still floating around in a black bear population, but if I had to pick, grizz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursid_hybrid

and a polar-grizz Image
The "polar" part got him off a heavy fine and jail sentence for shooting a grizz.
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby steelfrog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 am

There is a confirmed population of about 10 Griz in the North Cascades

Postby CO Native » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 am

The ears and snout are Black Bear. The only thing about him that looks like a grizzly is the shoulder hump. I believe it's just deceiving though since the head is down sniffing that stump, giving the appearance of a shoulder hump.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby TallGrass » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 am

CO Native wrote:The ears and snout are Black Bear. The only thing about him that looks like a grizzly is the shoulder hump. I believe it's just deceiving though since the head is down sniffing that stump, giving the appearance of a shoulder hump.
Plenty of phenotype variance within the grizz species for it to be grizz. Those ears are not unique to black bear, but that hump has a distinct (non black bear) down slope going back. Doubt you'll have much luck finding pic of a black with that hump, sniffing or not. Moreover, why doesn't nyker share some other pics? Them's grizz them is.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby fleetmack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 am

"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm

fleetmack wrote:These pictures suck, but one we saw near Lindsey TH last summer looked like a Grizz to me

while i didnt get a good look, i did see the bear on the way lindsey run up the mountain, scared by the sound of my jeep? He was the same light brown as your pics and was HUGE, definately a well fed black bear if he wasnt mixed
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Gareth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 pm

CO Native wrote:The ears and snout are Black Bear. The only thing about him that looks like a grizzly is the shoulder hump. I believe it's just deceiving though since the head is down sniffing that stump, giving the appearance of a shoulder hump.

I concur (FWIW). It looks like the head being down pops one of bear's shoulder blades up into a prominent position.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Nyker,

It seems crazy I know, but we were on a 5 day backpack in Sequoia in 1997 out of Mineral King and saw a very similar bear. We thought that perhaps it was a grizz as well. I had seen a lot of black bears up until then and he/she just presented differently. I was pretty convinced for a long time, but after running into definitive grizzly bears since, I am not so sure. The size is what gives me doubt. There is probably a biologist on here that can add real clarity.

The best conclusion I have come to is that for some reason the black bears in CA seem to take the grizzly brown color, maybe inbreeding or environment? I haven't seen that color in a black bear in any other state in the lower 48, but I have heard that black bears occasionally take a lighter color. I read Rick Bass and Doug Peacock's book called "Lost Grizzlies" a few years later and it rekindled my thoughts of actually crossing paths with one of the southern most grizzlies left.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Next