Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What could possibly go wrong here?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What could possibly go wrong here?

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am

I looked into the David Icke book he's supposed to be inspired by. The author claims the moon is artificial, and is actually a mass mind-control device planted by reptilian aliens from the constellation Draco, among other ravings. I'm not liking this guy's chances in the wild... Hopefully he just hitchhiked somewhere and is living under a bridge and panhandling at this point. From the wiki page:
Icke has accused many prominent people of being "reptoids," including Brian Mulroney, George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, The Queen of England, The Queen Mother, Al Gore, Kris Kristofferson, Boxcar Willie, and the steering committee of the Bilderberg Group. It is Icke's contention that none of these people are suing him for his statements because they are all, in reality, twelve-foot lizards.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

Jim Davies wrote:I looked into the David Icke book he's supposed to be inspired by. The author claims the moon is artificial, and is actually a mass mind-control device planted by reptilian aliens from the constellation Draco, among other ravings. I'm not liking this guy's chances in the wild... Hopefully he just hitchhiked somewhere and is living under a bridge and panhandling at this point. From the wiki page:
Icke has accused many prominent people of being "reptoids," including Brian Mulroney, George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, The Queen of England, The Queen Mother, Al Gore, Kris Kristofferson, Boxcar Willie, and the steering committee of the Bilderberg Group. It is Icke's contention that none of these people are suing him for his statements because they are all, in reality, twelve-foot lizards.

The Bushes, Queen Elizabeth, Al Gore I can buy as Reptoids...but Boxcar Willie is where I draw the line...David Icke, you sir, have stepped over that line.

*licks eyeball and snatches bug out of air with tongue*
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 am

I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby thetoddman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 am

From the above article: "A big concern for searchers is that he may have been taking medicine intended to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADD/ADHD, to help him stay awake during his drive west. "

I'm wondering how he planned to get meds like this In The Wild? Maybe he figured that ADD/ADHD bushes grow next to the berries he would be eating during the long winter months.

Postby doggler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am

thetoddman wrote:

From the above article: "A big concern for searchers is that he may have been taking medicine intended to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADD/ADHD, to help him stay awake during his drive west. "

I'm wondering how he planned to get meds like this In The Wild? Maybe he figured that ADD/ADHD bushes grow next to the berries he would be eating during the long winter months.

My guess is he was simply "using" (read: ABusing) the meds in order to stay awake while driving across the country and had no need for 'em in the wild.

Postby dsunwall » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 am

The only harm he has done is wasting time and money of the agencies looking for him (thats not his fault), and worry from his parents. He has not shot anyone or blown anything up. IF he survives he will have learned everything he should have known beforehand, some kids just have to learn the hard and fast lessons. Leave him be, he is 19.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 am

dsunwall wrote:The only harm he has done is wasting time and money of the agencies looking for him (thats not his fault), and worry from his parents. He has not shot anyone or blown anything up. IF he survives he will have learned everything he should have known beforehand, some kids just have to learn the hard and fast lessons. Leave him be, he is 19.

Christopher McCandless had plenty of critics as well. He was a hero to some, foolhardy to others...to each his own i suppose. If anything, I can't blame the kid for wanting to go into the wild and survive on his own. I imagine a lot of people in some point in their lives have a romantic vision of what it would feel like to survive, thrive and be self sufficient away from the crutches of society. I believe it's instinctual as society slowly loses skills we've practiced/known for thousands of years (hunting/gathering/farming/and various other skills).
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm still baffled as to why an adult (however poorly prepared for it) that WISHES to be "off the grid" is being searched for in general. Maybe my sympathy levels need calibrated, but wasn't being -for all intents and purposes- missing, his wish from the start? If he were to say "hey, I'm going camping" and turn up missing, by all means send the SAR in...but "hey, I'm going off the grid" is a different sort of deal.

Maybe I am way off base, but unless someone can claim some sort of mental incompetency, why put so much active searching in for something that doesn't want to be found? Put up some flyers that tell him to call home and hope he makes it out of his "plan" alive.

That being said, I do feel for his family being forced to deal with the unknown that he has forced onto them, and I truly hope he makes it out of this with only an amazing story to tell...and maybe a heap of SAR invoices.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 pm

"Dustin called his girlfriend in Austin, Texas, to say he was lost after his GPS had sent him onto a road along the east side of Steens Mountain in the high desert of southeastern Oregon."

He got lost on the way to get lost.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:41 pm

ajkagy wrote:Christopher McCandless had plenty of critics as well. He was a hero to some, foolhardy to others...to each his own i suppose. If anything, I can't blame the kid for wanting to go into the wild and survive on his own.

Ha ha, he said it! He said it!
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
ajkagy wrote:Christopher McCandless had plenty of critics as well. He was a hero to some, foolhardy to others...to each his own i suppose. If anything, I can't blame the kid for wanting to go into the wild and survive on his own.

Ha ha, he said it! He said it!

brilliant. that is simply brilliant

Previous