Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 am

The Lodgepole Pine, related to the Tamarack I think, has the unique distinction of being a deciduous conifer.
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

User avatar
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby Dave B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am

Kent McLemore wrote:The Lodgepole Pine, related to the Tamarack I think, has the unique distinction of being a deciduous conifer.


You might be thinking of Larch (genus Larix). Lodgepole pine is definitely not deciduous.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

User avatar
Posts: 7264
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 am

Just because the lodgepoles are all brown doesn't make them deciduous. :wink:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby bill4reel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

Dave B wrote:I spend my days working with trees and tree people so I might have a skewed view on what I think is "interesting"


Thanks guys for the responses. I didn't realize this would generate interest...glad it did :-D Love the tree stats Dave B! On my second topic, I think I'll do Evans with the pine motif for the t-shirt design. Appreciate the input everyone! Just starting out with my blog (www.allpeak.net) and biz, let me know what you think? Post to follow there soon.
Sherpa Bill
@allpeak

User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby bill4reel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am

geojed wrote:With regards to Bristlecone Pines, the ones that live on the colder, harsher, north-facing slopes live on average 2X as long as the ones living on the sunny south facing slopes. 2000yrs vs 1000yrs.


Thanks GeoJed. Love this factoid.
Sherpa Bill
@allpeak

User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

Dave B wrote:
Kent McLemore wrote:The Lodgepole Pine, related to the Tamarack I think, has the unique distinction of being a deciduous conifer.


You might be thinking of Larch (genus Larix). Lodgepole pine is definitely not deciduous.

Thanks for the correction. Larch it is. How about the Tamarack. Deciduous?
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

User avatar
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby Dave B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 am

Kent McLemore wrote:
Dave B wrote:
Kent McLemore wrote:The Lodgepole Pine, related to the Tamarack I think, has the unique distinction of being a deciduous conifer.


You might be thinking of Larch (genus Larix). Lodgepole pine is definitely not deciduous.

Thanks for the correction. Larch it is. How about the Tamarack. Deciduous?



Yessir, the tamarck is actually just a species of Larch (Larix laricina).

Larch are one of my favorite trees, their fall color almost actually gives aspen and other hardwood/broadleaf trees a run for their money. The stretch of I-90 between Missoula MT and Couer d'Alene ID in October is a great place to see them.

Here's some Larch in full fall glory on the east side of Mt. Hood in Oregon.

Image
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am

Dave B wrote:

Yessir, the tamarck is actually just a species of Larch (Larix laricina).

Larch are one of my favorite trees, their fall color almost actually gives aspen and other hardwood/broadleaf trees a run for their money. The stretch of I-90 between Missoula MT and Couer d'Alene ID in October is a great place to see them.

Here's some Larch in full fall glory on the east side of Mt. Hood in Oregon.

Image

Great photo. I remember seeing the Tamarack turn in the hills east of Moscow, ID. Spectacular.
The OP may be interested in The Native Trees of Colorado:
http://www.westernexplorers.us/ColoradoTrees.html
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby bill4reel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am

Kent McLemore wrote:The OP may be interested in The Native Trees of Colorado:
http://www.westernexplorers.us/ColoradoTrees.html


Great site to bookmark as reference for trees in CO. Thanks Kent.
Sherpa Bill
@allpeak

User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby bill4reel » Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 am

I forgot to post link to the blog post I wrote as a result. Thanks again for your input everyone!
http://allpeak.net/3-high-altitude-trees-you-thought-you-knew-a-prelude-to-arbor-day
Sherpa Bill
@allpeak

User avatar
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: New York

Re: Preferences for trees (in time for Arbor Day)

Postby nyker » Mon May 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I'd also vote for the Bristlecones.

One thing you should also make reference to with regard to trees growing in Alpine areas, is the krummholz nature that many trees take on in such an environment.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andrewhamilton, basincruiser, bbass11, Broken Knee, bryan-whitesel, carllaniak, colbyde, Doctor No, drbobjr, dsunwall, Erich, fahixson, Flips, GBH64, GeezerClimber, habaceeba, happymtnclimber, HikerT, Jeff_F, JGiffinPhotog, johnF, justinw501, Liquid Shadow, Minstrel Max, mr_Chris, NickJ, NM David, onebyone, RadioJay, randyk, rmd, robwater, ScottN, snowypeaks, speth, stonebaez, TheOtherIndian, ThuChad, TrailDog100, tsizz, ulvetano, Wilderness_hike and 107 guests