Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Transportation puzzle

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Transportation puzzle

Postby kthwilson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Hey,
I've got a bit of a puzzle to solve regarding getting to/from the Lost Creek Wilderness. I'm planning to hit up the area May 8th after flying into Denver in the morning (flight arrives around 11). However, I can't rent a car (the problems with being young...), so I need to use alternative transportation. However, the best that I've found so far is a bus to Fairplay, but that still leaves me decently short of anywhere in Lost Creek (although getting off the bus in Jefferson might be an option, but that's still not quite where I'd like to be). I'm planning to do a 4 day loop in LCW, and then to head to Breckenridge for another 5 days of hiking. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could possibly get to/from LCW? Is there anyone heading over that direction May 8th?
I've gotten into contact with everyone I could think of (AAA, the local bus companies, the local tourism board, etc) and so far no one has been very useful, so I'm getting pretty desperate to find a solution.
Any advice at all would be awesome!!!
Thanks!

Re: Transportation puzzle

Postby TallGrass » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Powhound (and others) has some good tips when you posted on this earlier:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39139&p=474530&hilit=hitchhike#p474530
If you can catch a bus to Fairplay, Jefferson, Bailey and basically get out the metro, I'd say you'd have a good chance along Powhound's lines, and likewise to get back to one of those to catch the bus back to the airport. I even hitched once to get myself AND my motorcycle (trashed piston rings) to a major town in the SW. :mrgreen: Should be plenty of empty pickup beds going each way.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Pull a Justiner and ride to the TH!

Seriously, throw the bike on the plane. Maybe you can take it on the bus to get closer. Once in Jefferson or somewhere nearby, it won't be much distance compared to four days of backpacking, right? Be sure to find a place well off the trail to stash the bike.

Of course, if you wanted to make it a true Justiner you'd have to ride from Denver.

kthwilson wrote: (the problems with being young...)

(Now don't nobody be quotin' George Bernard Shaw, ya'll.)

Postby carson_h » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 am

If you're 21 or older, check with the small/independent car rental agencies.

When I was in high school, a friend rented a car with a fake ID in his name with the age adjusted. We used the car for a week with no issues, but this was probably bad idea then (many years ago), and an even worse idea today.

Good luck,

-Carson

Postby kthwilson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 pm

I appreciate all your advice.
Renting a car with a fake might be problematic, I've heard they generally run checks on IDs now so, yeah... (also, still under 21 unfortunately)
I called one of the bus companies, and they said that we might be able to get off in Bailey, instead of Fairplay, which seems like it would even be possible to walk from Bailey to some of the trails in LCW. If that's the case, it seems like there shouldn't be too much of an issue, but there's a decent chance we'd have to make use of the hitchhiking tips.
Biking would be a blast, but the baggage fees I looked up are killer (up to $75 each way), so that would be tricky.

Right now, it's looking like bussing to Bailey and then hitching/walking out would be the best bet.
thanks!

Postby TallGrass » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 am

kthwilson wrote:Biking would be a blast, but the baggage fees I looked up are killer (up to $75 each way), so that would be tricky.

Why would you trust your bike to the airlines when there are "Other Places to Get A Bike in Denver"??? :roll: :-k [-( :-" O:) \:D/

Call around for cr@p bike (mech' sound, but low appeal/theft) prices/sizes (buy back? or you can donate it back if GW/SA). I'd pack my own tire repair kit, helmet (climbing?), pump, lock, and tools (check w/ TSA), fly in, bus to bike source, buy QUICK, ride back to the bus stop while your bus transfer window is still open, toss it on the bus's bike rack, get off in town for supplies, trail, stash bike, hike, reclaim bike, bus, donate/sell back (can call en-route to explain hasty drop-off and or explain at purchase; might even be able to bum ride back to bus), re-board bus within window, and airport. I'd also pack a multi-function bike tail light that uses AAs that has a clip so you can use it on the trail or mark your tent to find your way back after a night pee run (got one like the link for $1, check local Dollar Stores too). Figure a way to mount your hiking lamp to the handlebars (on helmet may not comply with local bike laws) or use a 1" scrap loop of MC inner tube saddle-stretched over bar to hold a cheap LED flashlight. Put some white reflective stickers on your helmet and a stripe or two on your pack (ONLY use plastic-coated reflection, never coated fabric as it reflects poorer and fades/wears quick, also great for marking/spotting tent at night with light). This stuff can be light, multi-use, and a boon to SAR should you need to help them locate something.

It'd be cool if there were four of you because you could split into two groups of two, enter on opposite ends, meet halfway at designated point/trail, swap stashed bike info/keys/photos (due N 50 paces from this tree on the trail; ignore hiker with pegleg, eyepatch and parrot), and ride each others bikes back out so no one doubles back and each party has company/emer-support. Once had a damaged motorcycle in northern Canada and the local RCMP offered/let me borrow a recovered (stolen) bicycle for a day to get around town and get set up (camped) locally so I could work my MC back to roadworthiness and ride out. Be clever and resourceful!!
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby atbaritone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Have you purchased your flight yet? Frontier has limited service, but they do let you fly your bike for a regular baggage fee if under 50 pounds--oversize charges don't apply. So that is $20 each way.

Where the heck are you gonna hike near Breckenridge in May?
An unsuccessful day climbing is better than a successful day working.--Me.