Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Man Killed by Beaver

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Man Killed by Beaver

Postby LoneStar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:49 am

"Happy trails to you ..." - Roy Rogers

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Ok, I just watched Dual Survival (Colorado Rocky Mountains episode) this afternoon and had a good laugh. Cody found a frozen beaver which apparently died of a stroke when felling a tree. The end is best...

Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby cybrhikr » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:36 pm

I saw that too.Think I'd have to be very near starvation to gnaw on a frozen beaver tail.Not a very adventurous eater!

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:41 pm

I have actually eaten beaver tail a couple times (baked and grilled). It stinks and tastes like smelly rubber gelatin. When you grill a beaver tail, it blows up like the old Jiffy popcorn and finally explodes. The only way I can partially stomach it is drenched in hot sauce. When I watched Dual Survival and heard the comment that beaver tail is a "delicacy", I couldn't wait for them to actually eat the tail. The looks on their face said it all. It's horrible. SJ Ron :lol:

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:56 pm

"and eat beaver all night long if we want to" :lol:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Oh hell, now we have to carry beaver spray! Well, at least it's multi-use

I asked for some at CVS yesterday and they threw me out.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 am

This thread is in terribly poor taste, and a welcome relief from all the horror and sadness of the past months. Between the Aurora shooting, Newtown shooting, and Boston Bombings, I can't remember a period when I was drawn to tears so often, and so easily.

So thanks for the laughs this morning, guys - we all need a laugh right now. If beavers are to be the catalyst, then so be it! And in the spirit of poor taste and laughter:

An 80-year-old says to the doctor, "I've never felt better! Life is great and I now have a 20 year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. What do you think about that?"

The doctor considers his question for a minute and then begins. "I have an older friend, much like you, who is an avid trophy hunter and never misses a season. One day, when he was going out hunting, he was in a bit of a hurry and accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his gun. When he got to the creek, he saw a prime beaver sitting beside the stream of water. He raised his cane and went 'bang, bang'. Suddenly, two shots rang out and the beaver fell over dead. What do you think of that?"

The 80-year-old said, "I'd say somebody else pumped a couple of rounds into that beaver."

The doctor replied, "My point exactly."

Postby HunkyDunk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 am

That was great Susan!! =D> =D>
I love to be in the mountain air, simply because I am happiest there!!,,,,www.ricksportraits.com

Postby greenhorn1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 am

MountainHiker wrote:"and eat beaver all night long if we want to" :lol:

+1

I love that show.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby Dex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am

"But there’s a limit, y’know? And if you haven’t already figured it out, Beaver Beer has reached – and surpassed it."

http://www.ctmuseumquest.com/?page_id=21490

Are we there yet?

Loveland, Co. - seriously!

http://www.bigbeaverbrew.com/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Presto » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am

Don't forget Beaver Liquors in Avon. They have some hilarious t-shirts; one of which The Man purchased that cannot be worn in public. :shock: :wink:

http://beaverliquors.com/
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 pm

There's always Beaver Sports in Fairbanks. The "local" mountaineering/ski/bike/etc shop for interior Alaska. Next shop is a 6 hour drive, or 1 hour flight away! Spent way too much money there on gear, when Sierra Trading Post didn't have the item in question

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

PreviousNext