Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Incline

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: The Incline

Postby KentonB » Sun May 12, 2013 9:42 pm

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Cameron's Cone - 4+k of elevation gain in 3.5 mi and you won't be with 100s of other people. Unfortunately, you are parking in the same location as the Incline.

You made it! Congrats! And it sounds like you had a good time. Did you take the Englemann Trail? As much as I love many hikes in that area, the parking situation has gotten so bad, I typically avoid it at all costs... It's not the Barr Trailhead I remember from the 1990's! :-)

Postby globreal » Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 pm

KentonB wrote: the parking situation has gotten so bad, I typically avoid it at all costs...

Now all the parking is going to cost, not just in the Barr Trail pay parking lot. I just saw on the news tonight that Manitou Springs is adding parking meters along Manitou, Canon, and Ruxton Ave.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby justiner » Sun May 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Park in town, ride the last few on a bike. That's like an extra scoop of ice cream for the night!
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby CO Native » Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 am

Is there a bike rack near the bottom. I can't say I've seen one but I've never been looking for one. That would be a great addition at the bottom.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 am

globreal wrote:
KentonB wrote: the parking situation has gotten so bad, I typically avoid it at all costs...

Now all the parking is going to cost, not just in the Barr Trail pay parking lot. I just saw on the news tonight that Manitou Springs is adding parking meters along Manitou, Canon, and Ruxton Ave.

I was in Manitou Saturday and Sunday and saw pay stations along Manitou and Ruxton, but they were still covered with black plastic bags. I talked with the parking manager for the Cog and he said that all of Manitou was going be pay parking.

Kind of sorry to see some of the changes that are going on in Manitou. Was fun to try to score a free spot and walk the extra distance.
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 am

KentonB wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Cameron's Cone - 4+k of elevation gain in 3.5 mi and you won't be with 100s of other people. Unfortunately, you are parking in the same location as the Incline.

You made it! Congrats! And it sounds like you had a good time. Did you take the Englemann Trail? As much as I love many hikes in that area, the parking situation has gotten so bad, I typically avoid it at all costs... It's not the Barr Trailhead I remember from the 1990's! :-)

Yes, took Englemann and loved every minute of it. Plan to do it a couple more times this summer. And yes parking has become an even bigger zoo this year with the Incline becoming legal and it's only early May....
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby climbnowworklater » Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 am

Hope this hasn't already been answered.

Is there a mtn bike trail that connects Red Rock Canyon Open Space to Manitou/Ruxton?
On my maps it shows a trail but it also states that the trail may not be finished.

This would provide hassle free parking at RRCOS and an extra workout to the TH.

Thanks "Ihikelikeagirl", I PM'd you.
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

Postby doggler » Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm

climbnowworklater wrote:Hope this hasn't already been answered.

Is there a mtn bike trail that connects Red Rock Canyon Open Space to Manitou/Ruxton?
On my maps it shows a trail but it also states that the trail may not be finished.

The answer is "ish". Intemann Trail is almost complete - a little bit o' drama behind the one section left to connect. You could go up any one of many RROS trails to Intemann, Intemann to Crystal Park Road, drop down Crystal Park Road a couple of miles, then bike up Manitou Ave/Ruxton Ave.

I'm very much a fan of pay parking on Ruxton. It will help reduce the insane amount of car traffic that goes back and forth, trolling for 30 minutes to find a spot that will let them save 5 minutes of walking. Dudes, seriously...park at Memorial Park (for free!) and hike the 20 minutes to the base of the incline. If you're fit enough to do it, you should be fit enough to walk to it.

Postby climbnowworklater » Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks Doggler,
Hope they get those issues worked out. I live next to RRCOS so the mtn bike would be ideal. I will check out the route you mentioned for sure though.

As far as paying along ruxton, seems most anywhere nowadays has fee's to access. Certainly the case for lakes and forest areas in the Tonto NF along with many city parks and preserve space in AZ. Hell, when I moved here it never occured to me I would have to pay to summit 14er's (culebra).
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

Postby PaliKona » Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Just did the Incline for the first time...that was fun. My fav part was where you join the Barr Trail...very pretty back there.
Major respect for those doing Cameron Cone. I stared at it most of the descent down...that's a steep long climb!!

Postby djkest » Tue May 14, 2013 3:35 pm

I saw that MapMyRun has a course on the incline that looks like it starts about 100-200 yards into the actual climbing. With MMR, you can set your activity to walk/hike or to running. I cannot run up the incline. I heard the "official" way to 'time' it is from when your first foot hits the first RR tie, to when both of your feet are on top of the last one. Last couple times I've done it without stopping, but I can't say it was super fast most of the time.

On a side note, there are what looks to be some impossibly fast times on the incline on Map My Run. I'm wondering if someone had a motorcycle up there or something for some of those times. It wouldn't be the first time someone has tried to cheat to make themselves look awesome.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby smoove » Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 pm

djkest wrote:I saw that MapMyRun has a course on the incline that looks like it starts about 100-200 yards into the actual climbing. With MMR, you can set your activity to walk/hike or to running. I cannot run up the incline. I heard the "official" way to 'time' it is from when your first foot hits the first RR tie, to when both of your feet are on top of the last one. Last couple times I've done it without stopping, but I can't say it was super fast most of the time.

On a side note, there are what looks to be some impossibly fast times on the incline on Map My Run. I'm wondering if someone had a motorcycle up there or something for some of those times. It wouldn't be the first time someone has tried to cheat to make themselves look awesome.

How bout using Strava?

PreviousNext