Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Incline

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: The Incline

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

You can knock out the incline if you're in decent shape in 1.5 hours round trip or less if you go down it. I would say 50-55 minutes is about average. Here's a website with a list of best times. You're in the top 10% if you can do it in under 29 minutes, which I've only been able to do a few times.

http://outtherecolorado.com/incline/overalltimes.html?appSession=671150615951009&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPISortType=desc&CPIorderBy=BestTime
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby Monte Meals » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Like many who post on 14ers.com,

I climb the Incline almost every day (I skip the weekends.)

Today (Blizzard Tuesday, 4/9/2013) was actually quite pleasant -
~20 degrees with a 30 mph breeze at the top.

I have not used my micro-spikes in weeks and was comfortable
in lycra bottoms and a long sleeve top (a wind breaker was nice
for the walk down.)

One hour up and one hour back down is generous - even for
people from sea level.

Send me a PM if you would like company.

Cheers,
Monte

Postby schrund » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 am

Is that "best time" on that link for real? Somebody between the ages of 60 and 64 did the incline in 13:57? Wow, that's pretty amazing, must be a Sherpa.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby johnF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am

To the original poster's question on trail conditions, on Monday before the "storm", the Incline and Barr Trail coming back down were both completely dry and ice-free. Given how little snow we got yesterday, the same should be true tomorrow -- no need to worry about traction.

schrund wrote:Is that "best time" on that link for real? Somebody between the ages of 60 and 64 did the incline in 13:57? Wow, that's pretty amazing, must be a Sherpa.

I doubt it's real. Trouble with that website is that if you enter a typo, you can't fix it. The following reputable source claims an unofficial fastest time of 16:40 (it's a very nice read about the Incline too). I would think a sub-14 minute is borderline impossible for anyone at any age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/02/sports/olympics/02incline.html?_r=0

Postby jrs1965 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm

I did the Incline and Barr Trail this morning (10 April). No snow or ice on the Incline, just a scant amount of snow in the shadows on Barr Trail. I left the spikes in the trunk...

Postby Mountain Woman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:00 pm

I really appreciate all the information, everyone. I am giving myself a generous 2 hours. I'm glad to know I won't need microspikes.

Postby PaliKona » Sun May 12, 2013 12:03 pm

I hear the parking situation kinda sucks at the trailhead? Where does one park if it's full? Would 11am on a Monday or Tuesday be full?

Postby Jim Davies » Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 pm

You can usually find a spot along Ruxton a few blocks down on weekdays. They're free for now, but sometime soon Manitou will start charging for them (they're talking tomorrow, but who knows if they're ready yet). $1/hr for the first three hours, $2/hour for the next two, $3/hr after with a $28/day max. Ouch. The Barr Trail lot at $5/day is starting to look like a good deal.

Once they start charging, the parking will probably never fill up again on a normal day. The Barr Trail lot is seldom full any more.

Starting May 19th, there will be free parking behind Tahini Alime, east of downtown by Memorial Park, with a free shuttle.

More info:
http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archives/2013/05/03/manitou-eliminates-free-parking-beloved-battle
http://manitousprings.org/parking-information/
http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=4838 for shuttle info
Last edited by Jim Davies on Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby climbnowworklater » Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 pm

I love the incline for training. I am up the incline in 40 mins but usually hike NW and continue on to catch up with the Barr trail a little further up, then hike Barr all the way down.

Besides guiding in the Grand Canyon, this has been by far the best workout and training hike I could find locally.

Viva la Inlcline!

PS: For a real challenge, try carrying a 3 y.o. up it.....that's a workout! Carrying child = 60 mins up for me.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa

Postby johnF » Sun May 12, 2013 3:28 pm

PaliKona wrote:I hear the parking situation kinda sucks at the trailhead? Where does one park if it's full? Would 11am on a Monday or Tuesday be full?

Jim already gave a lot of good info. Recently, with the cool/wet weather we've had, parking hasn't been a problem around 11am on an early-week day. With better weather, it'll be more crowded, but all that means is parking further down Ruxton and walking up the road 10 minutes to get to the Incline.

Postby Jim Davies » Sun May 12, 2013 4:43 pm

My wife tells me the Barr Trail lot was full yesterday morning, so I guess people are getting used to paying.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Jim Davies wrote:My wife tells me the Barr Trail lot was full yesterday morning, so I guess people are getting used to paying.

Yes, Barr Trail parking lot, the Cog "Hiker" parking lot, the Iron Springs parking lot and all of Ruxton Ave usually fill up by 6:30 or 7a on weekends. You can usually find hikers leaving from 8a on, but there is often a line of cars patroling the lots waiting for such spots too.

Parking on a weekday, although still tight, is not as big of an issue.

A bit of info for those unaware of the parking situation:
Barr Trail lot - $5 credit cards only

Cog parking lot - $5 credit cards only - the attendants do a good job of monitoring how many spots to open up and can tell you right away of there are openings and when to check back

Iron Springs Melodrama lot - $5 cash only - do not know if they allow parking there on weekdays.

Ruxton Ave is free at the moment, but tough to find spots

Soda Springs park - still free (but going to change soon, I think) ~0.6 mi to the Incline TH

Memorial Park - still free (but going to change soon, I think) ~1.1 mi to the Incline TH

climbnowworklater wrote:I love the incline for training. I am up the incline in 40 mins but usually hike NW and continue on to catch up with the Barr trail a little further up, then hike Barr all the way down.

Besides guiding in the Grand Canyon, this has been by far the best workout and training hike I could find locally.

The Incline is great, but I've learned of one other incredible workout, however it takes 3-4x longer:
Cameron's Cone - 4+k of elevation gain in 3.5 mi and you won't be with 100s of other people. Unfortunately, you are parking in the same location as the Incline. PM me and I can get you info on the elusive trail, if interested.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

PreviousNext