Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Incline

Items that do not fit the categories above.

The Incline

Postby Mountain Woman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm in Colorado Springs for two weeks and am considering doing The Incline this Thursday. Can I get some beta from the locals? Unfortunately, I didn't come prepared and am thus concerned about trail conditions. How icy has the trail been? I do not have my micro-spikes with me though a friend might be able to loan some yak tracks to me (yes, I know they are useless, but maybe better than nothing?). Of course, if its really been icy, I could rent crampons from somewhere, I am sure. Also, I'm quite out of shape (it takes about 1 hr 15 mn for me to go up Mt. Sanitas parked along the road on Linden Ave - Boulder, for those who don't know). How long do you think it will take me to do the Incline. I'm estimating 2 1/2 hours - much longer than my partners are anticipating). Thanks.

User avatar
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Denver

Re: The Incline

Postby vallejoclmbr » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm

posted a similar thread a week or so ago and got some great responses

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39325

User avatar
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO

Re: The Incline

Postby schrund » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi Mountain Woman - I believe we met on the El Diente to Wilson Traverse a couple of years ago. Has the snow started down there yet? Oddly the last time I did it it was snow covered and I found it to be easier - or maybe just less scary because all the metal pieces were covered. Have fun!
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Incline

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm

If you've done 47 14ers I can't imagine it taking 2.5 hours to hike the Incline. Maybe half that? (I presume you mean bottom to top, not round trip.)

Depending on how much snow tomorrow, the Yaks could come in handy on Thursday. Many folks just deal with the conditions and use nothing for additional traction. I prefer microspikes. Quite a few use Yaks and do ok. I would not use crampons.

Good luck. I'd say enjoy it, but that doesn't quite sound apropos.

User avatar
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Incline

Postby jrs1965 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Blizzard tonight/tomorrow and then a predicted high of 56 for Thursday. Most likely if there is a huge dumping of snow the Incline/Barr Trail will still have snow/ice on Thursday. Carry the spikes if you can see snow on the Incline from Manitou. I always carry mine when it looks like snow but rarely use them since they are a pain in the butt with the constant slipping off and needing adjustment. Regarding times, it usually takes me between 35-38 minutes to summit going at a steady pace between 1.5 - 2 mph and not stopping. Jogging back down Barr Trail typically takes me around 25 minutes.

Re: The Incline

Postby Mountain Woman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:If you've done 47 14ers I can't imagine it taking 2.5 hours to hike the Incline. Maybe half that? (I presume you mean bottom to top, not round trip.)

Depending on how much snow tomorrow, the Yaks could come in handy on Thursday. Many folks just deal with the conditions and use nothing for additional traction. I prefer microspikes. Quite a few use Yaks and do ok. I would not use crampons.

Good luck. I'd say enjoy it, but that doesn't quite sound apropos.

Well, all those 14ers aren't time stamped. I did most of them the first year I was here - that was 4 years ago :( On my 7th day of 12 hr shifts currently and heading for 13-14 of them - so not time to get out.

Re: The Incline

Postby Mountain Woman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm

schrund wrote:Hi Mountain Woman - I believe we met on the El Diente to Wilson Traverse a couple of years ago. Has the snow started down there yet? Oddly the last time I did it it was snow covered and I found it to be easier - or maybe just less scary because all the metal pieces were covered. Have fun!
Hi! Yes I do remember you. I was glad to make it down alive! It has not started snowing yet.

Re: The Incline

Postby Mountain Woman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 pm

jrs1965 wrote:Blizzard tonight/tomorrow and then a predicted high of 56 for Thursday. Most likely if there is a huge dumping of snow the Incline/Barr Trail will still have snow/ice on Thursday. Carry the spikes if you can see snow on the Incline from Manitou. I always carry mine when it looks like snow but rarely use them since they are a pain in the butt with the constant slipping off and needing adjustment. Regarding times, it usually takes me between 35-38 minutes to summit going at a steady pace between 1.5 - 2 mph and not stopping. Jogging back down Barr Trail typically takes me around 25 minutes.

I was thinking 1 mph average - decent to take the longest due to knee problems, but maybe I'll up that to 1.5 mph. Thanks.

User avatar
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: The Incline

Postby timstich » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 am

Most fairly fit people can get up the Incline under 45 minutes, or thereabouts. Add the same to walk down the 3.5 miles of Barr Trail you have to descend.

User avatar
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: The Incline

Postby KentonB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 am

1 mph (i.e., ~1 hour to the top) is a pretty reasonable speed if you've done any climbing and set a good pace. I just did it myself for the first time a couple weeks ago and got a time of 46:20. My teenage daughter came with me and got 45:40. Based on what I hear from friends, jrs1965's time of 35-38 min would be an exceptionally good time! :-) I know when I got my 46-min time only one person passed us and we passed several groups of people!

User avatar
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: The Incline

Postby jrs1965 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 am

I have been using RunKeeper app on the Incline for several years now. Typically I will start out at about 2+ mph and then slow down to about 1 mph in the steep spots. My average overall time is usually between 35-38 minutes. I have been trying hard to crush 35 minutes, no luck so far...

User avatar
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: The Incline

Postby KentonB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am

jrs1965 wrote:I have been using RunKeeper app on the Incline for several years now. Typically I will start out at about 2+ mph and then slow down to about 1 mph in the steep spots. My average overall time is usually between 35-38 minutes. I have been trying hard to crush 35 minutes, no luck so far...

You must have been that one guy who passed us! ;-) Good luck on beating 35 min though! I'm afraid 46:20 will be as good as it gets for me. I enjoy less "crowded" climbs. :-D

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: moorecolorado and 10 guests