Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The 14ers: barefoot?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: The 14ers: barefoot?

Postby Rarefied » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Okay, my last run at this. Google comes up with this hit ...

14ers.com • Trip Report - Capitol Peak Barefoot
www.14ers.com › Trip Reports › Capitol Peak Reports
Capitol Peak Barefoot. I am sure Capitol has been done barefoot before. They have all been done barefoot before - Right? This is just the story of my day ...

... but then the link returns "An invalid Trip Report was selected or it could not be found" from this site. waybackmachine.com couldn't pull it up either. (Any insight, Bill?)

So it looks like it existed at one time but then was removed. And I tend to think this is what I'm recalling -- that the posting member had a friend who came in from somewhere(?) and was the one who went up sans footwear. Anyway, the long & short of it is that barefoot folks have been seen climbing around on 14ers. But to do all of them? That just might be up for grabs. But it would take a lot of .... sole! :-"

R

Postby painless4u2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Wow. This reminds me of a post epicdude wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34300&p=411343&hilit=die4pc#p411343
\:D/

Postby d_baker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Rarefied wrote:Okay, my last run at this. Google comes up with this hit ...

Capitol Peak Barefoot. I am sure Capitol has been done barefoot before. They have all been done barefoot before - Right? This is just the story of my day ...

... but then the link returns "An invalid Trip Report was selected or it could not be found" from this site. waybackmachine.com couldn't pull it up either. (Any insight, Bill?)

So it looks like it existed at one time but then was removed. And I tend to think this is what I'm recalling -- that the posting member had a friend who came in from somewhere(?) and was the one who went up sans footwear. Anyway, the long & short of it is that barefoot folks have been seen climbing around on 14ers. But to do all of them? That just might be up for grabs. But it would take a lot of .... sole! :-"

R

This guy.
I thought he had a tr on a barefoot ascent of Capitol too, or some other 14er but I can't remember which one.

Postby MountainMedic » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:50 pm

OK, let's not encourage these idiots. If there's any chance of rocks sliding over or falling on your feet, you should probably be wearing shoes. Leave the barefoot mountaineering to the Bagginses.

Postby Svenski Norski » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Met a barefoot Australian guy on Sneffels , July 2010, almost to Lavender col. said he was doin' fine, but he turned back at the couloir- good choice. Loose, sharp rocks, just not prudent...

Postby schrund » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 pm

And the logical extension to absurdity would be to climb all the 14ers buck naked. Who's in?
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby jdorje » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:08 pm

The next logical extension is barefoot winter summits.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby screeman57 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm

jdorje wrote:The next logical extension is barefoot winter summits.

and then barefoot skiing them.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby OGdubs0413 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:08 pm

screeman57 wrote:
jdorje wrote:The next logical extension is barefoot winter summits.

and then barefoot skiing them.

Better than a barebutt glissade

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Rarefied wrote:Okay, my last run at this. Google comes up with this hit ...

R

If there was a TR, the author probably removed it.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby ajkagy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:22 pm

MountainMedic wrote:OK, let's not encourage these idiots. If there's any chance of rocks sliding over or falling on your feet, you should probably be wearing shoes. Leave the barefoot mountaineering to the Bagginses.

As funny as it sounds I could definitely see barefoot 14ers as a legit practice. Especially since for thousands of years humans walked around with little to no protection on their feet. Boots and shoes are not "natural"

I'm pretty sure if anybody could accomplish the feat it'd be cody lundin from dual survival. He's been walking barefoot for decades and his feet are naturally acclimated to the rough earth. The Tarahumara tribe in mexico is also well know for running extraordinary distances in bare feet. Yea the hazard is getting your foot crushed by a rock is there, but what is adventure without a bit of danger :-D
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 am

ajkagy wrote:Boots and shoes are not "natural"

But then, neither are clothes like a beanie or a Marmot jacket. But we have made them so that we can go places where they are needed. Right on?

I don't know a thing about the whole barefoot running debate, since I don't run enough either properly or improperly to have an informed opinion. Barefoot this, barefoot that - whatever, I like and need to use boots to be comfortable. But this sentiment that shoes are superfluous because we did not use them for thousands of years, I just don't get.

We also inhabited a pretty narrow band of temperate climate when we did not have shoes, and we only went the places we could go, doing the things we could do, when we didn't have gear. People were not spending the weekend on Little Bear in 12,000 BC, I don't think, and when they did go up in the hills, as we know from Otzi the Iceman, they very probably put shoes on.

Not directed at the guy I quoted so much as a comment on the whole no-shoes trend - I'll quote an Army medic I once heard say "There isn't any virtue inherent in avoidable pain". It does seem like there's sort of a virtue being assumed to the practice of not wearing gear, when to me, compromising your safety when it's avoidable seems like a bit of a bonehead move.

PreviousNext