Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 am

This was my first season of winter mountaineering, and like rijaca, I had a lot of fun. I was able to enjoy a good mix of climbing and resort skiing.

I summitted my first 5 snowflakes, some in great weather and some in miserable weather. Most importantly, with this being my first winter season, I learned a lot about winter preparation and safe snow travel. Already looking forward to many more trips next winter, but as Jeff said, bring on couloir season!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby I Man » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 am

rijaca wrote:I've had fun!

Alex Lowe famously said "The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun." I would say I had a good winter. Thanks to all of the friends and partners who shared in the memories, ups & downs and made these past few months some of the best I've experienced. :-D
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Yikes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am

So how'd it go? What were your goals?
Pretty good. Was shooting for 5-6 and got 6 snowflakes.

What was your most exciting moment?
3 solo snowflakes. Didn't really have the guts to go solo in prior years. Felt totally peaceful on all 3 solo trips.

Biggest disappointment?
Winter Gathering that didn't happen

Most satisfying accomplishment?
Getting an "easy" Longs snowflake.
Culebra snowflake while the ranch still allows access.
Finishing Lincoln on the 3rd attempt (1st attempt was Democat/Bross only, 2nd attempt was Democrat only).
Not getting sick this winter.

Plans/goals/aspirations for next winter?
Another 5 or 6. Might be harder with the easier 14ers behind me and if we actually get a real winter.
Last edited by Yikes on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Yikes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:23 am

anna wrote:I've been cured of the snowflake affliction! Yahoo!

There's a cure????

Postby ajkagy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:28 am

great winter, over 100 days on snow and over 100k vert skinning. Hopefully we have lots of snow this spring and lots of good desert mtb riding. :-D
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am

So how'd it go? What were your goals?
I had a goal of reaching the summits of at least 5 more winter 14ers - I got 6. Also, I wanted to make sure I did Redcloud, Sunshine and Humboldt in winter, and I did. I try to keep my goals tame in the snowy months.

What was your most exciting moment?
My most exciting moment of the season was definitely when Teddy (ameristrat), Nicole (14erAddict), Mike S. and Taylor (Lemmiwinks) reached their very first winter 14er summit: Humboldt Peak. I was ecstatic to be a part of that! That whole day was pretty sweet - even trying to get my car up the road in the snow was part of a great adventure.

Biggest disappointment?
I don't have any real "disappointments" about the season. I was very sick with repeated sore throats in late fall, and I'm grateful that I was able to recover my health and accomplish what I did. I wish I could have completed the DeCaLiBron (I still need winter Lincoln and Cameron) but I have no regrets about heading down after Bross. The wind that day was intense.

Most satisfying accomplishment?
Being in the Pikes Peak Dance Video produced by MonGoose! :lol:

Plans/goals/aspirations for next winter?
Take an avalanche safety course, get comfortable using my ice ax, finish all the Front Range 14ers in winter, get a winter summit of Mount Elbert... I may create more winter goals for myself when this summer comes to an end.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF THESE AWESOME PEOPLE FOR SHARING WINTER SUMMITS WITH ME IN THE 2012-2013 SEASON!!!:

Teddy (ameristrat)
Taylor (Lemmiwinks)
Nicole (14erAddict)
Mike S.
Jim (Yikes)
Greg (Fisching)
Emma (EmmaM)
Emily
Bill (wildlobo71)
Nick (MonGoose)
Jeff (SurfNTurf)
Matt (Speth)
Yin Ling Li & Chris
Durant C.
Noel (CookieHiker)
Chuck Erle

Also thank you Paul P. and Sean P. for the valiant post-holing effort in our attempt of Mount Arkansas, even though we didn't make the summit!

Many more exciting adventures to you all! :-D

-Jenny
Last edited by SilverLynx on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby MonGoose » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:11 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 peaks I hiked this winter and more importantly, I had a blast with my hiking partners on each those trips. I've always been a summer guy, but I fear that I may be turning into a winter guy as well. It's nice to have more options in the winter than just skiing, especially when the snow is non-existent. I've also found a new love for the Sawatch range. As much as I hate the Sawatch in the summer, it's rather enjoyable in the winter.

My goal this spring is to ski my first peak and I'm hopeful of finishing the 14ers this summer. Of course, there may be a few dance moves along the way.

Postby nkan02 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 am

Yikes wrote:
anna wrote:I've been cured of the snowflake affliction! Yahoo!

There's a cure????

There is no cure :( Anna is in denial. I miss her crazy winter reports, btw.

Congrats to all the overachievers on the strongest 14er winter season ever! There were some spectacular summits this winter, including Kit Carson/Challenger traverse (multiple parties), Crestones traverse, Wilson Peak, Mt. Wilson, Maroon Bells, San Luis as a day trip (solo and on skis), Wetterhorn solo in the sleet conditions... This past winter seemed to redefine what's possible.

Bring on the couloirs!!! :)

Postby aaronmojica » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

I had big plans for this winter, I was in awesome alpine shape after last winter. Last spring I decided to take some technical rock climbing lessons, woke up one day a fat lazy sport climber with no conditioning and an aversion to walking anywhere that I couldn't go in sandals. Maybe next year.

Postby ameristrat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 pm

SilverLynx wrote:What was your most exciting moment?
My most exciting moment of the season was definitely when Teddy (ameristrat), Nicole (14erAddict), Mike S. and Taylor (Lemmiwinks) reached their very first winter 14er summit: Humboldt Peak. I was ecstatic to be a part of that! That whole day was pretty sweet - even trying to get my car up the road in the snow was part of a great adventure.

I still can't believe you let me try to drive your car up that road. That was my most exciting / terrifying moment this winter on a 14er. I thought for sure I was going to hit that wall everytime I backed down to try the hill again!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby kimo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm

anna wrote:
nkan02 wrote:
Yikes wrote:There's a cure????

There is no cure :( Anna is in denial.

Yes, there's a cure. Find another list that's more interesting to you. My eyes have turned to the Colorado Wilderness Areas peak list. With 42 Wilderness Areas (really 43 with part of the Platte River Wilderness) and over 1100 ranked peaks, who has time for snowflake chasing? :-D

But we still chase snowflakes - the soft white pure kind that come from the sky. We summitted 12 peaks this winter, in two national parks, with the highest summit being 12,222 feet asl. Some of the peaks took a solid effort: we put in 40+ miles for Haleakala at the start of winter, and then closed winter with another 40 miles for Stormy Peaks. Stormy Peaks required two full weekends of work through unbroken snow. Some may consider us crazy to put in that kind of effort for a low unknown peak. But in the end, elevation doesn't matter to us – it’s about the experience and pleasure of being in a wilderness environment with great partners, regardless of the elevation. Thanks to those who joined us, with a special thanks to Anna.

Now we look toward continued wilderness adventures.

Postby Presto » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:30 pm

by Fletch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm
Only thing I have to show for this winter is a 7lb 9oz crying and pooping machine... but at least she's cute.

Woohoo, James! =D> Photo?
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

PreviousNext