Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kilian Jornet Burgada: Creating the All-Terrain Human

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Kilian Jornet Burgada: Creating the All-Terrain Human

Postby sad2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/magazine/creating-the-all-terrain-human.html?pagewanted=all

Kilian Jornet Burgada is the most dominating endurance athlete of his generation. In just eight years, Jornet has won more than 80 races, claimed some 16 titles and set at least a dozen speed records, many of them in distances that would require the rest of us to purchase an airplane ticket. He has run across entire landmasses­ (Corsica) and mountain ranges (the Pyrenees), nearly without pause. He regularly runs all day eating only wild berries and drinking only from streams. On summer mornings he will set off from his apartment door at the foot of Mont Blanc and run nearly two and a half vertical miles up to Europe’s roof — over cracked glaciers, past Gore-Tex’d climbers, into the thin air at 15,781 feet — and back home again in less than seven hours, a trip that mountaineers can spend days to complete. A few years ago Jornet ran the 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail and stopped just twice to sleep on the ground for a total of about 90 minutes. In the middle of the night he took a wrong turn, which added perhaps six miles to his run. He still finished in 38 hours 32 minutes, beating the record of Tim Twietmeyer, a legend in the world of ultrarunning, by more than seven hours. When he reached the finish line, he looked as if he’d just won the local turkey trot.

See link for rest of article.

Re: Kilian Jornet Burgada: Creating the All-Terrain Human

Postby justiner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:15 pm

It's a pretty good article and does a good job mythologizing Killian. Any article that quotes Anton saying, "The dude is way fast", should make someone pay attention to this guy!
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby mike_kadow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 pm

sad2 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/magazine/creating-the-all-terrain-human.html?pagewanted=all

You beat me to posting this - I just finished reading it. Decent piece!

Postby sad2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm

mike_kadow wrote:
sad2 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/magazine/creating-the-all-terrain-human.html?pagewanted=all

Yes, the organizers of the Pikes Peak Marathon and Ascent should invite him. He would crush the course.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:57 pm

sad2 wrote:
mike_kadow wrote:

Yes, the organizers of the Pikes Peak Marathon and Ascent should invite him. He would crush the course.

Great article on a great athlete and great person.

Killian won the Pikes Peak Marathon last year in 3:40, about 24 minutes off of Matt's 3:16 CR. Seems like he was just cruising it though, not really giving it his all and when interviewed later, mentioned that he found it to be flat or something to that affect. I think if he lived here and worked on it, he would have a shot at the record, but that is not guaranteed, as Matt's accomplishments on Pikes are stratospheric (Matt's vO2 measured a few higher than Killian, 91 or 92 I think).

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm

^^^Agreed. Matt knows every switchback, rock, and step up on the course (read his course description on the PPA/M site if you think I'm exaggerating). Kilian would have live here for a while and get that detailed knowledge of the course to come close to Matt's record. I think Matt's PPM record just might be the most untouchable record in the running world to date. Can anyone think of any CR's that compare?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby sad2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Killian won the Pikes Peak Marathon last year in 3:40, about 24 minutes off of Matt's 3:16 CR. Seems like he was just cruising it though, not really giving it his all and when interviewed later, mentioned that he found it to be flat or something to that affect. I think if he lived here and worked on it, he would have a shot at the record, but that is not guaranteed, as Matt's accomplishments on Pikes are stratospheric (Matt's vO2 measured a few higher than Killian, 91 or 92 I think).[/quote]

thanks for the update jeff.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Tory Wells wrote:^^^Agreed. Matt knows every switchback, rock, and step up on the course (read his course description on the PPA/M site if you think I'm exaggerating). Kilian would have live here for a while and get that detailed knowledge of the course to come close to Matt's record. I think Matt's PPM record just might be the most untouchable record in the running world to date. Can anyone think of any CR's that compare?

Yeah, Matt certainly has that peak dialed better than anybody ever has, then couple that with extremely hard work, a freakish v02 and an amazing ability to push at high altitudes and his records are pretty darn solid. I think Killian could certainly have gone faster if pressed last year, as he really seemed to be on auto pilot when I saw him descending as I was nearing the uppermost aid station, but I did not think that Matt's record was close to being in jeopardy. In Europe, the courses are less defined where they often beeline it off trail and I know Killian had some trouble with this while racing in the States last summer (was DQ'ed from prize money at Speedgoat for cutting switchbacks on the descent). This somewhat explains why he thought the Barr Trail to be flat, as he is used to taking the mountain head on. Tony was also being a bit modest in that article, as he beat Killian pretty handily at the 2010 Western States and can give him a run for it when he is at his best.

To put Killian's speed into perspective on a route many of us here can relate to, in 2010, he ran Mt. Elbert via the standard route (NE Ridge) in ~1:08 up and something like :34 down (Tony has since put in some similar times as well). He also holds the record on Sanitas in Boulder at ~14:?? and for a short time (as discussed here last year) was for a short time the record holder for the RT of the Grand Teton (2:54 round trip).

Here is a good interview on irunfar from last August:

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/kilian-jornet-interview-on-his-grand-teton-fkt-and-the-pikes-peak-marathon.html

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Also, FWIW, Killian's 3:40 at Pikes last year was "only" the 25th fastest time in the history of the race.

Postby doggler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Great piece.

Hearing Kilian talk about his love of the mountains, his pursuit of something unattainable...it's inspiring to say the least.

Postby justiner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Jeff Valliere wrote:
Tory Wells wrote: Tony was also being a bit modest in that article, as he beat Killian pretty handily at the 2010 Western States and can give him a run for it when he is at his best.

You probably have a good point, as the Western States results reflect. They're both quite inspiring and I find their shared modesty attractive.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby 434stonemill » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:24 am

Jeff Valliere wrote:
sad2 wrote:Killian won the Pikes Peak Marathon last year in 3:40, about 24 minutes off of Matt's 3:16 CR. Seems like he was just cruising it though, not really giving it his all and when interviewed later, mentioned that he found it to be flat or something to that affect. I think if he lived here and worked on it, he would have a shot at the record, but that is not guaranteed, as Matt's accomplishments on Pikes are stratospheric (Matt's vO2 measured a few higher than Killian, 91 or 92 I think).

One note about Killian and issues he has had in US races, is he doesn't like to run switchbacks, but rather just blast down the mountain. At Pike's Peak it is emphasized that any cutting of switchbacks will result in automatic disqualification. In the irunfar interview he references this by noting that there is a parking lot on top the mountain, so any ecological concerns about cutting switchbacks is hypocritical. I disagree with him on this issue, but it was one reason why was just cruising the downhill. It wasn't as fun for him. So he just was in cruise control. I think if he wanted to he could beat Matt's record, but the one thing I do like about Killian is that his running isn't for records or wins. He runs because it's fun for him. He just happens to be really fast, so when he is having fun running, records and wins are a by-product not the primary goal.

Next